Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay- attempted fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 09:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay- attempted fraud?

Sold a mobile phone on ebay last week, got paid by PayPal, shipped via Citylink as usual. Never had any probs before. This was last Tuesday. It was weighed in our mailroom @ .55kg, and CityLink checked it in at the local branch at the same weight. I have several witnesses confirming that I packed it correctly, and have nearly 300 positive feedback on ebay compared with his 2.

Got an email from CityLink on Wednesday saying they couldn't deliver, so they left a card. The buyer told me that was fine and he'd arranged a re-delivery on Friday.

I get to the office on Friday to an email that reads 'where the hell is my phone? got nothing but an empty box!!!'. He'd already been in touch with CityLink apparently.

It looks like (or its supposed to look like) its arrived in a different CityPack (sealed) bag to the one I sent, less the phone and charger. The only thing on the bag is what looks like a CityLink label. I always write the address in the space on the bag in permo red ink, and that's been confirmed by the guy who collected from us.

So what its supposed to look like is that someone has opened the sealed (and pretty much tamper proof) batg, stolen phone and charger. I immediately asked him to give me the IMEI number off the phone box, but he ignored me despite four separate emails requesting it. I then checked with o2, and as luck would have it they were still showing the phone on my account so had all the details to blacklist it. Job done.

Ten minutes later I get an email asking me if I have the IMEI number and also the phone number relating to it, and checking where its registered to. He obviously already has my name. He tells me that he needs the details as he's been in touch with ebay and they're going to get it blacklisted for him. My arese they are! They've never done bugger all for anyone in my experience. I'm guessing the phone has gone off and he's trying to get it unblocked.

Anyway, now the CityLink guys are on the case. He told me in an email that parcels going to the Isle of Wight via CityLink often get interfered with, and I accidentally forwarded this to their investigators- so that's got them fired up. We've asked him for the bag he received so they can check authenticity, but he's refusing saying its the only evidence he has- what use it would be to him I don't know. He's sent me photos of the bag, but to be honest he could have just stuck the citylink label off another bag, scanned one etc etc, and maybe thats why he doesn't want us to pick it up.

I was going to send him a refund, and actually told him I'd send it tonight, but have changed my mind as something just don't smell right. What do you think guys? I'm sure I'm being scammed here.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 05 September 2005, 10:06 PM
black scoobs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Sold a mobile phone on ebay last week, got paid by PayPal, shipped via Citylink as usual. Never had any probs before. This was last Tuesday. It was weighed in our mailroom @ .55kg, and CityLink checked it in at the local branch at the same weight. I have several witnesses confirming that I packed it correctly, and have nearly 300 positive feedback on ebay compared with his 2.

Got an email from CityLink on Wednesday saying they couldn't deliver, so they left a card. The buyer told me that was fine and he'd arranged a re-delivery on Friday.

I get to the office on Friday to an email that reads 'where the hell is my phone? got nothing but an empty box!!!'. He'd already been in touch with CityLink apparently.

It looks like (or its supposed to look like) its arrived in a different CityPack (sealed) bag to the one I sent, less the phone and charger. The only thing on the bag is what looks like a CityLink label. I always write the address in the space on the bag in permo red ink, and that's been confirmed by the guy who collected from us.

So what its supposed to look like is that someone has opened the sealed (and pretty much tamper proof) batg, stolen phone and charger. I immediately asked him to give me the IMEI number off the phone box, but he ignored me despite four separate emails requesting it. I then checked with o2, and as luck would have it they were still showing the phone on my account so had all the details to blacklist it. Job done.

Ten minutes later I get an email asking me if I have the IMEI number and also the phone number relating to it, and checking where its registered to. He obviously already has my name. He tells me that he needs the details as he's been in touch with ebay and they're going to get it blacklisted for him. My arese they are! They've never done bugger all for anyone in my experience. I'm guessing the phone has gone off and he's trying to get it unblocked.

Anyway, now the CityLink guys are on the case. He told me in an email that parcels going to the Isle of Wight via CityLink often get interfered with, and I accidentally forwarded this to their investigators- so that's got them fired up. We've asked him for the bag he received so they can check authenticity, but he's refusing saying its the only evidence he has- what use it would be to him I don't know. He's sent me photos of the bag, but to be honest he could have just stuck the citylink label off another bag, scanned one etc etc, and maybe thats why he doesn't want us to pick it up.

I was going to send him a refund, and actually told him I'd send it tonight, but have changed my mind as something just don't smell right. What do you think guys? I'm sure I'm being scammed here.

Thanks,
Simon.
to true there scanned anyway to moniter progress no refund tell him to
Old 05 September 2005, 10:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Can't do that mate until I'm sure its not a CityLink problem.
Old 05 September 2005, 10:14 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Scam mate!! the phones sold you've been paid job done. Let citylink deal with it you've got proof of the weight of the box when dispatched, tell him to weigh the empty box himself if its lighter then what you and citylink both weighed it at prior to delivery its obvious something has been removed between it leaving you and him receiving it. Its just another in a long line of ebay scams.
Old 06 September 2005, 08:16 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 384 Likes on 306 Posts

couriers problem, presume its insured??
Old 06 September 2005, 08:20 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

watch out for this one also. Check out the previous id's also.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...thenianmonster

this is an email I received from a fellow ebayer:-

quote] hi, i notice you have had a bad experience with leslie collinson, previous user id apintandacurry, now littleathenianmonster. this person uses the work address of The Bank Of England. she does not work there, it is a totally false address. check it out for yourself and ring bank of england on 020 7601 4444 and ask for clare mac in human resources. this is a fraudulant ebayer with a paypal account who defrauds people. people like this are a menace because they can do what they want and get away with it. so i think she should be kicked off ebay.
kind regards, tina [unquote
Old 06 September 2005, 08:56 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

I work for a security company where everything has to be signed for. If you have a receipt from the courier confirming they are accepting the responability, then your part is done.

I nearly had the same problem ordered a Alpine monitor, from a Business site, i got in contact after a week of not seeing anything and they just gave me the Ref from the courier, i checked this and it showed the item had been delivered and left in my front door way!!!
As luck would have it next door took it in but forgot to tell me.
But just leaving £400 on the front door step!!!!

Oh and your buyer's a dodgy ******, he's tripped him self up, he's tried to use the phone but you had already cancelled the sim, that's why he wanted the numbers.
Old 06 September 2005, 09:40 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The more I think about it the dodgier it sounds, but you know when you're standing so close to something sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees?

I do have the written receipt from CityLink and as such they have taken responsibility. I'll tell him I'll refund him if and when CityLink refund me.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:15 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

biggest problem with the courier is if you have not insured the parcel their per kg compo will be st1te (£10 -£20 max) If you offered the buyer insurance & he did not take it then the fun begins. I would try & claim from courier as you are and if you get compo then consider a refund.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:23 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Another thought...

The IMEI number is on the phone though anyway, so why would he be asking for it?

He'd need your password and personal details to get your phone operator to re-activate it wouldn't he???

Andy
Old 06 September 2005, 10:33 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its just a scam by the sounds of it.

MAke sure that you demand all the correspondance that he has had with eBay to be forwarded to you. After all, he said he had been in touch with eBay to block the phone, totaly rubbish. As soon as you expose that its game over.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:46 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Smells like complete BS coming from the buyer ! - selling mobiles on Ebay is pretty much the same as playing Russian Roulette - chances are you're going to get hit by a scammer pretty quickly.

What I would do is look what other things the buyer has been bidding on - wouldnt be surprised if he has 'bought' a load of other mobiles as well as yours at the same time.

If the buyer cant provide you with a photo of the supposed packaging it came in, and cant provide the reference number from that parcel, just block their emails and ignore them as its obviously BS - if he can, and it is different from what you originally sent it in, someone at Citylink has stolen the item.

In this instance, you will have to take action against them - get them to investigate it and find out where it passed through on the way to the buyer.

Unfortunately, as a seller the legal onus is on you to make sure the item is delivered - if it isnt you need to refund the buyer straight away, then try and get compensation from Citylink - you cant insist the buyer hangs on on the offchance you can claim something. However, you can tell them that you cant refund while Citylink are carrying out an ongoing investigation as to what happened to the item ( this will cover you from having to refund the buyer if it turns out it is a scam ).

Whether the buyer paid for extra insurance is irrelevant ( on which point, dont give buyers the option, include any extra cost of insurance in with you posting prices ), it isnt the buyers responsibility to cover the value of the item, its the sellers - if the seller chooses not to insure the item and it gets lost - tought, the seller loses out and the buyer gets a full refund.

If you are pretty sure this is a scam, and the buyer paid with paypal, tell them they will have to start a claim with paypal for an 'item not recieved' - two good reasons to do this :

1. Paypal will only let a user do 3 of these per year - if this guy is a regular scammer, chances are he's already used up his quota

2. Paypal will ask you for proof the item has been delivered - if you provide this and it shows the item as signed for by the buyer, paypal will reject his claim straight away.

The harder you make it for scammers to get money out of you, the sooner they give up and move on to the next person.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:48 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

I live on the Isle of Wight if I can be of help.....

J.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:52 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

And as post #11 points out - how the hell are Ebay going to block the phone ? Do you reckon Ebay can just phone the phone company and they'll go 'OK, even though the phone doesnt belong to you we'll block it on the sayso of one of your users'

The smell of BS gets stronger.

OP, if you want to PM with the buyers Ebay ID I can do some digging for you and see what else they've been up to.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:09 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Have already had a good look at it but its not very conclusive. He has 2 plus points, total purchases amount to £2.97. He's been bidding on a few phones the same as I sold.

If CityLink come back and say that they accept responsibility then I'll happily refund him, but the 'ebay blocking the mobile' comment made my ears ***** up as did his refusal to let them collect the packaging.

He has sent me some photos of it, but to be honest he could have just cut the label off the bag and stuck it on an old bag for the photo. I had been wondering if the delay in delivery was deliberate and they have a scam going on at the depot? I certainly buggered that one by blocking the phone.

Either way I'm sure CityLink will be keen to sort it pdq if they have a security breach.

At the end of the day someone has interfered with it. If he won't release the package though I can't get much further and I douby CityLink will be able to either.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:53 AM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Pull the same trick yourself send him the phone you recieve sorted

only joking but heh !
Old 06 September 2005, 11:53 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I would NEVER intentionally use $hitty link. If I order something off the web/mail order, I ask what couriers they use, and if it is $hitty link, I WILL NOT order the goods! That is how bad I think they are.

Of the last 4 parcels I have had delivered by the dolts, 3 have gone "missing" (despite being assured by the depot they were on a lorry and would be delivered). I have been told I can go to pick up the parcels from the dept, and when I got there, they were "lost, and in the end I had to get the companies I ordered from to send another parcel.

Oh, and the 4th parcel was delivered 4 days late - which kinda p!ssed me off as I had paid for next day delivery (and the parcel was marked as such!)
Old 06 September 2005, 12:09 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I have to say that we've been using them for about 2 years now and send out 100+ parcels a month- never had a problem with them.
Old 06 September 2005, 01:10 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Must just be my local branch (which going from my neighbour who works there, would seem about right, the dippy ****!)
Old 06 September 2005, 01:18 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
watch out for this one also. Check out the previous id's also.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...thenianmonster

this is an email I received from a fellow ebayer:-

quote] hi, i notice you have had a bad experience with leslie collinson, previous user id apintandacurry, now littleathenianmonster. this person uses the work address of The Bank Of England. she does not work there, it is a totally false address. check it out for yourself and ring bank of england on 020 7601 4444 and ask for clare mac in human resources. this is a fraudulant ebayer with a paypal account who defrauds people. people like this are a menace because they can do what they want and get away with it. so i think she should be kicked off ebay.
kind regards, tina [unquote
item location is cannock, staffordshire (that's where i live) got an address i'll have a quick drive past and have a look if you want??

Richard
Old 06 September 2005, 01:27 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
I would NEVER intentionally use $hitty link. If I order something off the web/mail order, I ask what couriers they use, and if it is $hitty link, I WILL NOT order the goods! That is how bad I think they are.
Have to agree 100% with you on this I do exactly the same.Used to work for a place that sent everything out with $hitty link, I would not get 50% of the stuff ! They still owe me for a broken gate - left it open and swinging in the wind. Depot claimed it was not them depsite me showing them a video and still of their driver leaving it open !
Thye get business as they are cheap but offer a crap service.

RRH if you need any city link bags - we have loads

Richard
Old 06 September 2005, 07:26 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

give 02 a ring let them know?
Old 06 September 2005, 08:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Ebay arnt my cup of tea either at the mo...

i bought an item,,, (yea i know!!)

anyway the seller?? (rebuyer-seller) looks like he,s in the states, and the item is coming from HK.. (double i know)

to date it hasnt arrived, despite emails and assurances from the seller, who wont give me proof of posting or the insurance details i optionally took...

went to start a dispute claim, and according to ebay, i never won the item???

yet i have the emails and paypal recipets confiming this...

and the best ebay can do to date is generate emails based on keywords..

well pi**ed of at the mo..

M
Old 07 September 2005, 11:20 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

#23 - go into your paypal account and start a claim for 'item not recieved' - if the seller cant provide them with proof of delivery, they should refund you - either way it'll give the seller a kick up the **** and they may suddenly start replying to your emails
Old 07 September 2005, 11:43 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by TonyFlow

Of the last 4 parcels I have had delivered by the dolts, 3 have gone "missing" (despite being assured by the depot they were on a lorry and would be delivered). I have been told I can go to pick up the parcels from the dept, and when I got there, they were "lost, and in the end I had to get the companies I ordered from to send another parcel.

Oh, and the 4th parcel was delivered 4 days late - which kinda p!ssed me off as I had paid for next day delivery (and the parcel was marked as such!)
Use them all the time and get a top notch service, better than other couriers.
Old 07 September 2005, 06:24 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Have just had a very irate email asking why I have not sent him a refund; have sent the following response and lets see what happens next.....

CityLink have requested that I do nothing until their investigation is concluded. I understand that it is likely that they will involve the Police.

They need the bag that it arrived in- I can understand that you don't want to let it go, but they need to know how this has happened and need the proof.

They have said that they are quite happy to give you a receipt for it.

Please let me know when it is available for collection and I will arrange it.

Once they inform me that they have it I will contact you.
thanks for all the help and advice to date guys
Old 08 September 2005, 09:35 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

still no reply.....
Old 09 September 2005, 10:16 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
still no reply.....
Any news yet?
Old 09 September 2005, 10:23 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Get a load of this one;

ok simon what would you say to me having half of my money back soon then i give you the package and then when they are ready you send the rest, because for all i know they could just go off with the package and i would have no proof but at least i would have some money, because i have to put my trust in them again which is very hard, what do you say to that?
Old 09 September 2005, 10:32 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

omg, what a prat. He's squirming/panicking now Stick to your guns. Inform him that receipt is legal enough proof that he had the package.

Quick Reply: Ebay- attempted fraud?