Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Katrina - Is anyone actually donating?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2005, 02:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katrina - Is anyone actually donating?

Probably be asked before, I'm far too lazy to search though

Is anyone donating to the Katrina relief fund? If so, may I ask why?

I'm not donating for the simple reason that I feel the US has more than enough resources, both material and monetary to cope with this disaster. I see no reason at all why they should have to ask any other country to help them.

They claim to be the biggest, most powerful country in the world, but their response to a large scale disaster is underwhelming to say the least.
Old 06 September 2005, 02:43 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus

I'm not donating for the simple reason that I feel the US has more than enough resources, both material and monetary to cope with this disaster. I see no reason at all why they should have to ask any other country to help them.

They claim to be the biggest, most powerful country in the world, but their response to a large scale disaster is underwhelming to say the least.
Not me!! I echo the opinions above.

They want/claim to be the most powerful & richest nation in the World so let them prove it!!

Den
Old 06 September 2005, 02:45 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Couldn't agree more mate and defo won't be donating
Old 06 September 2005, 02:46 PM
khany
Scooby Regular

Donating money to the USA!!!!! I'd rather eat Pork
Old 06 September 2005, 02:48 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Nope me neither.. agree with the above comments. Can't believe the world can get aid to S. Pacific in 2 days after a Tsunami and the USA can't manage it on home soil for days..
Old 06 September 2005, 02:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

me neither, as said theyre such a big place and claim to be so powerful lets see them put it into practice. They by far have enough resources to sort it out themselves.... If it happened to a poorer country then off course people from around the world should try to sort it out but when its a small scale incident (in porpotion to a bl00dy large country) then its not much to worry about... Did the US help Boscastle or Carlise? Didnt think so
Old 06 September 2005, 02:59 PM
Reality
BANNED

I wonder if the yanks accepted the offer of help from Iran ?

Somehow doubt it.

I could see myself donating to help the poor American under-class and show them that, unlike their leaders, there are people in the world that care for people no matter what their backgrounds.

Having said that - the chances of some poor New Orlean resident seeing any funds donated here are, at best, slim !
Old 06 September 2005, 03:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Good to see I'm not alone here.

I gave a small amount to the Tsunami relief when I flew back after the new year,m this was mainly as I had UK change that I would not need in Canada, I would not have donated otherwise.
However, every bloody coffee shop I went into, for months afterwards had signs going on about donating. Sorry, but I won't be guilt tripped into giving more money to something I've donated to already.

I mention this as I've already seen the same thing happen for Katrina. Went to the LCBO (Government regulated off-licence) on sunday and they had a little Katrina relief donation box. I glared at it and the cashier looked funnily at me and asked why I was looking oddly, I explained why I thought it was a disgrace that they were asking people to dontate to the self proclaimed "world's richest country". He was somewhat taken aback by this.

Oh, and I am NOT belitting the loss of life, it is tragic, but money and aid will not bring them back.

I think the following message, which was written on a bridge near my apartment does sum things up quite nicely, when you consider all the natural disasters we're seeing recently: "Mother Nature will have the last laugh". Have to say I tend to agree with that. We **** off the planet, it's going to fight back. This is part of the reason why I'm not into recyling or any of that green warrior crap. The planet has been around longer than us, it can handle itself, it does not need some evolved apes trying to help it out, plus the greenies are and forever will be the minority.
Old 06 September 2005, 03:07 PM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

They wont get a penny from me, I gave to the tsunami appeal, but at the end of the day that was in a country that was skint!

The Americans can sort out thier own problems, don't get me wrong I feel sorry for the people, but thier own government can and should help thier own citizens.

Besides Bush is an Ar*ehole!
Old 06 September 2005, 03:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is it me or when you see a bucket collection of some sort on a corner shop counter, I cant help but think the owner takes the money and doesnt give any of it to charity... Maybe its a sign of the times where you dont trust anyone to do good anymore...lol

just me then eh? lol
Old 06 September 2005, 03:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Donating! Are you kidding?
Old 06 September 2005, 03:26 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Donate to the richest country in the world? Don't think so!! but funnily enough, North Korea and Iran have offered to help!
Old 06 September 2005, 03:28 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Donate to the richest country in the world? Don't think so!! but funnily enough, North Korea and Iran have offered to help!

They must have offered with a real glint in their eye.
Old 06 September 2005, 03:53 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I think the offers of help from other countries are really just token gestures of political support. I feel really sorry for the people affected but won't be donating, basically because the US has more than enough resources to help themselves.

Yes 'the management' needs a bit of a shakeup but they aren't exactly short for food/water/medicines etc.

I donated a fair amount to the Tsunami appeal, but that was mainly due to poor countries being affected who didn't have assets in place to help themselves.
Old 06 September 2005, 03:58 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Me neither, gave 50 quid to the tsunami relief though
Old 06 September 2005, 04:11 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I farted in the opposite direction to try and help out a bit
Old 06 September 2005, 04:17 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

When are we having the 3 minutes silence?
Old 06 September 2005, 04:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

in 5 more days for something that happened 4 years ago
Old 06 September 2005, 04:29 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I farted in the opposite direction to try and help out a bit
You should bottle it instead and send it to them as they're short on gas as well as oil!
Old 06 September 2005, 04:32 PM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I think the offers of help from other countries are really just token gestures of political support. I feel really sorry for the people affected but won't be donating, basically because the US has more than enough resources to help themselves.

Yes 'the management' needs a bit of a shakeup but they aren't exactly short for food/water/medicines etc.

I donated a fair amount to the Tsunami appeal, but that was mainly due to poor countries being affected who didn't have assets in place to help themselves.
Are'nt the donators the same countrys as the "Coallition of the Willing" for the war on terror?
Old 06 September 2005, 04:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
in 5 more days for something that happened 4 years ago
Oh don't get me started on that! I'm going to have a 3 min cheer and laugh, just to show the ****ers that when you stick your nose in where it does no belong, you will get it sliced off.
Old 06 September 2005, 04:41 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Kinda agree with Markus.
A country where sportstars have $100 million contracts,actors earn $50 million per film and people have 200 room houses,my first thought is how about a bit of collective spirit in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Anyway its mostly black people who are affected.There's never a shortage of people to empty your garbage or do a night shift at Wall-Mart.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:01 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I dont want to give to this, and I didnt give to the Tsunami either. Feel vindicated in my decision seeing as how most of the DEC's donations have been squandered.

Funny how we forget that Childline requires a mere 1 million pounds to keep going, but never seems to get anywhere. Funny how the Marie Curie people need money, but never get any from the public.

Charity begins at home.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:18 PM
zoomzoom
Scooby Regular

It's the not the US's issue. It's New Orlean's and Lousiana's.

**** like this doesn't blow up in Florida. Lousiana knows that it is in the path of hurricanes and still didn't do anything. They brought this upon themselves by not being prepared and not evacuating.

More people have died because they didn't think to save themselves. The death toll will be in the thousands, purely because people thought they could weather a Cat-5 hurricane in a hotel room outside of town or in their own attics. That's not high intelligence right there.

In Florida, people move inland and away from water as soon as the storm path looks like it's headed for them. I live inland, and I see the people evacuating their trailers even when the storm isn't close by.

South Florida can evacuate almost completely in a day. At the least, everyone can be in a safe position in 12 hours. South Florida is also far more populated than New Orleans.

Why didn't New Orleans atleast have the intelligence to get out from below sea level?

I feel for these people, but they've brought it upon themselves.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:22 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Well...

As you know New Orleans is below Sea level. Which would be fine if the government had spent the money required on building up sea defences. But they decided to spend the money on Anti-terrorism measures instead.

Evacuation. Louisiana has some of the, less well off people. These people dont appear to have the means to evacuate. And certainly the older residents didnt have the means to.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:30 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

Oh don't get me started on that! I'm going to have a 3 min cheer and laugh, just to show the ****ers that when you stick your nose in where it does no belong, you will get it sliced off.
v poor attitude..back to your hole
Old 06 September 2005, 05:36 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Also not helped by the fact that until a couple of days ago, people weren't allow to leave New Orleans and were told by police to head back where they came from and to stay there until help arrived. A blockade was setup on the main route out of the city.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:43 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

The way I see it, if the USA have enough money to (illegally and unjustifiably) invade countries, enough respources to have military installations in almost every country, and can afford to donate billions each year to its lovechild Israel, then they sure as hell can sort their own citizens out.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ted Maul
v poor attitude..back to your hole
Please explain why? Igoring the tragic loss of life, the yanks still go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (repeat to fade) about 9/11 as though it happened yesterday. They need to STFU about it as most of us are bored of their constant whine about it. So you got hit by terrorism, big bloody deal, other countries have the same happen, they don't go all fear crazy do they?
Old 06 September 2005, 05:57 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

IMO

9/11 was a rather large event though. 2973 people in 1 day. I can understand why they mention it. Afterall, thats 2973 families affected. And the results are fairly clear to see as there are 2 prominent buildings missing.

Quick Reply: Katrina - Is anyone actually donating?