Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Death threats.

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 01:46 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death threats.

A friend of mine from the local pub showed me a couple of texts he got on his phone threatening to kill him and his family. He's been in touch with the police who he says are monitering the situation. Now I would of thought they would be a little more interested in finding the person rather than "monitering". Is there a website where he can trace the owner of the phone (asuming they're on a contract and not PAYG)? Or even one to trace where they live (chances are it will be someone he knows)
Old 15 September 2005, 01:48 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

My first task would be to call the number at a random time during the day using 141 to see if I recognised the voice.
Old 15 September 2005, 01:50 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

He and few others (including myself) have tried ringing the number at different times from different phones but they allways cut straight off or it's an answering machine.
Old 15 September 2005, 01:54 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Well, having the number, the police could get the phone triangulated by the network operators. This gives a location accurate to a few metres. I wouldn't hold your breath on that though, at least not until one or more of the threats has come to fruition.

As for getting a name and address for the phone holder from just the number, once upon a time I'm sure there was an online Vodafone 'white pages' facility that would do this but it's been gone for about 5 years or more now. I'm not sure if there's a current site that does it.
Old 15 September 2005, 01:54 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'll be a pay as go you go phone unless they are very very ******* stupid so the Police won't be able to do a thing

I got a very strange threatening phone call a few months ago on my work line that wasn't intended for me. I work for a communications company and we had the landline number of the caller logged along with the date, time and duration and the Police still wouldn't investigate it
Old 15 September 2005, 01:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

As far as I'm aware if they feel its serious enough they can contact the service provider and get the details of who is doing it.

My GF used to get some phone calls with someone not being very polite on the other end. The police advised us that they could find out who it was. Next call I picked it up and said something along the lines of we've contacted the police and they can trace you now push off pronto.

End of calls.
Old 15 September 2005, 01:56 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Who has he upset recently?

Does he drive a vehicle with his number on the side?
Old 15 September 2005, 01:59 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Cant you mate contact his phone company and get the number barred ??

They may also be able to give more information regarding tracing the owner or location of the mobile !!

BT have a department that deal with nuisance calls and they take it quite seriously, could be worth a call to his mobile companysee if they have the same ??

Can't be pleasant getting these sort of texts !!
Old 15 September 2005, 02:01 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

He says he hasn't upset anyone so it's probably someone messing about. Another friend left a message on the answering machine claiming he was a policeman and wanted him to call back. Nothing heard since then.