Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shell get their prices very wrong over panic buying period!

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 06:28 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell get their prices very wrong over panic buying period!

Sent: 14 September 2005 21:37
To: Customer Services, Customer C SUKOP-ORE/518
Subject: Price of Optimax 8p/litre more expensive than 3 miles away in St Ives, Cambs; is this an admin error?

Hello.

Price of fuel in St Ives, Cambs is 109.0p, but in Huntingdon and Hemingford, 3 miles away is 100.9p. Is this an error on behalf of the St Ives garage, the difference seems massive and means I have stopped using St Ives despite it being the nearest to me. I look forward to your response.

Andy Stevens

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your email.

I have checked our site database and you are correct it is an error which has been rectified. Thank you very much for informing us. I trust that you will continue to use Shell St Ives in future.

Kind Regards
Patrycja Drozdz

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 15 September 2005, 06:43 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Ummmmmmmmmmmm SIAL and you were the originator as well ?
Old 15 September 2005, 07:22 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

How much must that garage have made due to an admin error in their favour? If you had a receipt for purchase I wonder if they would issue refunds?
Old 15 September 2005, 07:59 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwakman
How much must that garage have made due to an admin error in their favour? If you had a receipt for purchase I wonder if they would issue refunds?
My thoughts exactly, I'm looking for the receipt now - robbing *******s

Last edited by mpr; 15 September 2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: talking sh!te
Old 15 September 2005, 08:03 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Just found the receipt.....

44.13 litres at 8.1p/litre rip off = £3.57 those f@ckers owe me! And I'm gonna ask for it just for the laugh of watching them squirm.
Old 15 September 2005, 09:02 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Well one garage in Cardiff stated that on a normal day they sell 30,000 lits the other day during panick buyperiod they sold 70,000 lits. If that is the case at these garages they have made a pretty buck out of us being ***** and panic buying
Old 15 September 2005, 09:17 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Let me know if you get anything back mpr. If you hadnt spotted what was going on it'd still be 109.0! Youd think they'd close the loop on a system like that so mistakes by the local cashier didnt result in 1000s of motorists being fleeced.

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2005, 08:37 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

A colleague paid over £1.20 a litre in Milton keynes yesterday... Thieving, robbing, gouging ****ers.
Old 16 September 2005, 08:47 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
A colleague paid over £1.20 a litre in Milton keynes yesterday... Thieving, robbing, gouging ****ers.
.....although he was quite prepared to pay it at the time presumably otherwise he would have moved on elsewhere.

If the price was clearly displayed, where does thieving & robbery come into it? As I've said before, if people are prepared to pay...............I personally can't see the problem if said garage owner still has plenty of custom at those prices. Shows how desperate people are
Old 16 September 2005, 09:06 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
.....although he was quite prepared to pay it at the time presumably otherwise he would have moved on elsewhere.

If the price was clearly displayed, where does thieving & robbery come into it? As I've said before, if people are prepared to pay...............I personally can't see the problem if said garage owner still has plenty of custom at those prices. Shows how desperate people are
That's exactly what i was thinking too
Old 16 September 2005, 09:16 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yup. buy an overpriced product IYO and then call the seller thieving. Maybe its me, but it sounds like the buyer is a few pence short of a pound themselves
Old 16 September 2005, 09:18 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Am I missing something, you drove an extra 3 miles to save 9p a litre
Old 16 September 2005, 10:04 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the same Scoobynet where people insist on their consumer rights in trying to buy, say, a Bush TV priced at 49p?

Seriously, the dumbest thing is that this woman admitted it was an "error". Now thousands of motorists can (try to) claim compensation. If she'd just said "Thanks, we'll look into it", they could just decide to adjust the price accordingly.

I think you have a lot of power with that email.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:05 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Read this bit carefully; it contains THE POINT;

The price was what it was because the garage flunky misread what Shell HQ had told him, reading it as 109.0 instead of 100.9. Now Shell have made the admission that this price was in error, are people who bought at that price entitled to a refund?

It struck me and mpr as strange because the regular unleaded hadnt moved in price, giving a margin of 15p between UL and Optimax, something which gave me wallet-tremors.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:13 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the shell garage can charge what they want though??? Shell have said how much the fuel costs and the basic price is xxx the actual garage can charge whatever they feel like....

all this moaning for 9p a litre - 45 litres about £4.... times are that hard eh?
Old 16 September 2005, 10:23 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

You'd be over the moon if you had to start buying opti at 109.0 would you? How much would your annual fuel bill be if it went up 10% overnight? And when you found out it was the guys fault behind the counter for not being able to read the decimal point right and theyd sold 10s of 1000s of litres of the stuff at the wrong price, that makes that a pretty expensive mistake for the consumer wouldnt you think?
Old 16 September 2005, 10:31 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

You'd be over the moon if you had to start buying opti at 109.0 would you? How much would your annual fuel bill be if it went up 10% overnight? And when you found out it was the guys fault behind the counter for not being able to read the decimal point right and theyd sold 10s of 1000s of litres of the stuff at the wrong price, that makes that a pretty expensive mistake for the consumer wouldnt you think?
LOL you didnt HAVE to buy it though did you? if theres a garage up the road 3miles away selling it cheaper then go there.... It'll teach you to go panic buying with the rest of the monkeys

Seriously though, you think I care whether its 109.9p or 100.9p ??? 9p cheaper woooo... its already overpriced. If I was gonna start moaning about fuel I'll sell my gas guzzler and buy something sensible. If you choose to have a performance car then dont moan at the price of fuel!!!!! you dont moan that synthetic oil is soooo expensive for your performance car do you? if you did youd have a fiesta and put cheaper oil in....

Running a car (or at very least, a performance car) is a privledge.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:45 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

I think you need to take the wider perspective for a mo mate. I didnt buy any there but was pi55ed off that the nearest opti garage was suddenly 10p a litre more expensive overnight and was worried that it was a trend that might stick. At the time I didnt know that it was cheaper down the road and as I was on fumes I had to limp 500 yds and put some of that BP ultimate stuff in it.

As far as that "if you are worried about the mpg you cant afford to buy one" argument goes I've heard it loads and I'm afraid it aint valid. You might be minted but I am not a rich man and the scooby is the poor mans performance car. I can easily buy a scooby as they cost peanuts, I love its performance, I can insure it for reasonable money cos I'm not a nipper any more which leaves fuel as the major cost to run it, and a 10% increase would be a serious dent in my wallet.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:49 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol.. by no means am I "well off" but like I say running a performance car is a priviledge. take it on the chin that its going to be more expensive to run that the average car. you have to use Optimax rathar than RON95...

I never said if you are worried about the mpg you cant afford it.... I said if you have 1, knowing full well it'll use twice as much fuel as the average car you have no right to moan about petrol prices.... an average car user can moan I suppose, but its our choice to pick a car that uses alot more fuel than the average citizen.
Old 16 September 2005, 11:11 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Baaaaa

<said the sheep as it went past>
Old 16 September 2005, 11:34 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

"You have no right to moan about petrol prices because your car uses more fuel than average"

Shouldnt you have more cause to moan if prices rise and your car uses more fuel? I think you've turned your logic off.
Old 16 September 2005, 11:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

"You have no right to moan about petrol prices because your car uses more fuel than average"

Shouldnt you have more cause to moan if prices rise and your car uses more fuel? I think you've turned your logic off.
No, I think your missing the point.... its your CHOICE to use more fuel!!!!
Old 16 September 2005, 12:23 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Yeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss........................ ........ But thats not the same as a rise in fuel price is it? That hits someone with a thirsty car harder.
Old 16 September 2005, 12:37 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

theres just no getting through to you is there....

End of the day, do I care, nope because your happy paying for that expensive petrol.... so you'll keep on paying for it.... only way to make it lighter on your pocket is either do less miles or get a more economical car.
Old 16 September 2005, 01:11 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

where on earth is petrol @ £1.20 a litre in Milton Keynes? Most of us are using Tesco 99 Octane stuff which was 99.9p last weekend. It should have come down today with Tesco/Asda knocking 4p off a litre.

Andy.
Old 16 September 2005, 02:53 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Are we having the same conversation? I choose to drive a scooby, I know the fuel economy is bad, when fuel goes up I have to forego something else like flying or motorsport or some other hobby. Why should I not care about that? Is this not brain-bleedingly obvious?

If I hadnt emailed shell it would still be 109.0 at my nearest garage, now its a much more palatable 100.9p and I can start going there again. Was this not worth doing then?

I dont think I can make it very much clearer than that and my head is beginning to hurt now from banging it on this brick wall.
Old 16 September 2005, 03:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you keep banging it against a brick wall then, it might knock some sense into you

I got involved in the conversation because you paid 109.9p a litre then go on to call them thieving and robbing... Doesnt exactly make sense does it? you chose to purchase an overpriced product. They didnt force you to pay it.
Old 16 September 2005, 03:15 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW CAN YOU POST CONSTRUCTIVELY IF YOU DONT READ THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDNT BUY IT!

I DIDNT SAY THEY WERE ROBBING OR THIEVING!

THE GARAGE MADE A MISTAKE!

NONE OF WHAT YOU HAVE JUST SAID BEARS ANY RESEMBLANCE TO WHAT HAPPENED!

Which might be why your "argument" doesnt hold an awful lot of water.
Old 16 September 2005, 03:18 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ok it wasnt you, but someone on page 1 mentioned paying the higher price and then calling them robbing and thieving... So my "arguement" (not that its an arguement) does hold water

My point is simple, Ive said it enough times and it doesnt need saying again.
Old 16 September 2005, 03:20 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Not sure its just your point thats simple

Quick Reply: Shell get their prices very wrong over panic buying period!