Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kitchen hob - gas or induction?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 08:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Kitchen hob - gas or induction?

Any thoughts?

Would like a wok ring, but induction seems to be all the rage at present, I'm wondering why.

Have seen a De Dietrich with both, could be a contender.

PS Any comments about her in the kitchen - this is a GADGET!
Old 15 September 2005, 08:17 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you flambe with induction?
Old 15 September 2005, 08:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Cookability-thats the beauty of gas

Chip
Old 15 September 2005, 09:53 PM
DPat
Scooby Regular

Gas all the way
Old 15 September 2005, 10:11 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Gas, and I've just bought me a new gas FAN oven too !
Yve
Old 15 September 2005, 10:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

OK, we have gas fans here

What's the fuss about induction then? Controllability of gas, almost no residual heat, rings on timers, no wasted energy as only the part in contact with the pan is heated...

Old 15 September 2005, 10:25 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

We've always gone for gas hobs and electric ovens. Don't really like gas ovens for some reason, but for a hob it seems natural.
Old 15 September 2005, 10:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

BTW, am looking at these two:

Full gas; Smeg (no red dwarf jokes please) P75

or the combination, De Dietrich

Old 15 September 2005, 10:51 PM
DPat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DPat
Gas all the way
OK, Gas HOB, electric oven works best for me
Old 15 September 2005, 10:56 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

gas hobs look cool and are easier to clean (no matter what you do the induction ones end up with baked on stuff and scratch over time).

gas is much more controllable (instant and you can see it) - induction is harder to gauge and less safe (can ber very hot when it looks cold if that makes sense)

can't use woks effectively on induction - you won't see any commercial kitchens using induction.
Old 15 September 2005, 11:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When a water main killed the electric in our street for 3 days....I was glad we were on gas

...cosy warm kitchen and something to cook and brew the tea on
Old 15 September 2005, 11:46 PM
steppers
Scooby Regular

bollox!!!!!!!!
eh brendan i have an induction one De-Dietrich on display in my showroom (working model) and reguarlaly convert "Gas users" to induction hobs.
I think some people think ordinary ceramic hobs are induction.
No they look the same but here's the facts
Water in a saucepan takes over twice as long to heat up by gas than induction.
1 touch of a button and induction cools as quick as gas and a different button puts on simmer (Err with gas dont you guess until the bubbles are consistant)
Oh a quick wipe over and its clean (Now how many cleaning pads are required to clean all the ****e off the gas bars and the bits that get baked on around the rings and *****)
Its not so hot that it will burn you either making it safe
Need proof come and have a look if you think your hard enough
Old 16 September 2005, 12:40 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

gas. end of!
Old 16 September 2005, 12:42 AM
steppers
Scooby Regular

well done jawa great comeback!
Old 16 September 2005, 12:49 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chip
Cookability-thats the beauty of gas

Chip
My god that takes me back. cook...cook..cook...cookability, that's the beauty of gaaas.

Been there done it, gone back to gas.
Old 16 September 2005, 01:01 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Currently have a crap induction hob jobby that cost a touch over a grand - if someone asked me to write a review I would have to say

"Its crap"

TBTH it doesn't seem any different to the old solid rings. I have a gas hob in the motorhome which is 10000000000% better (cost about 60 quid IIRC). Gonna change to gas with the new kitchen
Old 16 September 2005, 08:43 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Gas hob, electric oven. Difuser plates can be useful as well.
Old 16 September 2005, 08:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Neff: I have the earlier model in stainless, it's brill but harder to keep looking nice than a glass or enamel based one. They do one with a glass base now, as well as enamel ones in black or white.

Pan supports go in the dishwasher occasionally and come out perfect, burner surrounds in aluminium are done OCCASIONALLY with a Brillo, mostly just wiped over with Mr Muscle etc, and the base is done with Mr Muscle and dried off to avoid water marks.

Alcazar

BTW, brendan, aren't you based in Portugal? Will that mean that you use Propane (LPG) or do you have town gas? I only ask as some gas hobs can't be converted. The Neff ones come with LPG jets free. Some cost extra.

Last edited by alcazar; 16 September 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 16 September 2005, 09:21 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think I have the same hob as Alcazar -- NEFF gas hob and NEFF electric fan oven.
Old 16 September 2005, 09:42 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Hmm, cheers all.

For those of you who only read the title - I was never thinking of going fully to induction, only to combination. We do like our wok

I really do mean induction. Not ceramic, halogen, or whatever. Induction.

fast bloke - succinct, but can you elaborate?

Steppers - in a sea of protest, you sound convincing... I can't come and visit I'm afraid, I'd need a plane ticket.

alcazar, my friends have that one. I've chosen both above as the pan supports are much smaller, and I think it will be easier to clean both them and the plate underneath. I've been trying to avoid the ones with the chunky supports.

You're right about LPG, but we are switching to town gas as we speak, so I should be OK. However, I'd assumed that all were convertable, but you make a point - if I get it from the UK and bring it over, perhaps it won't be!
Old 16 September 2005, 10:29 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Brendan. I'd be very surprised if you can't rejet your cooker from LPG to mains gas unless you're on Butane (as in Spain) rather than Propane.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Brendan. I'd be very surprised if you can't rejet your cooker from LPG to mains gas unless you're on Butane (as in Spain) rather than Propane.
I wouldn't be surprised. We exported a range type cooker to France, and were shocked at how few were offering convertable ones, and even fewer did it for nowt!

We eventually settled on a Stoves cooker, it came with LPG jets fitted, it's gas hob, electric oven, and we had to specify LPG at point of sale.

Oh, and the gas inlet on the rear is NOT EC norm, it's British norm (EC norm is a MALE inlet on the back, ours has a female). I had to take a union with 1/2" BSP male threads on both ends, and some Calortight on my NEXT visit

Carl: not the Neff double oven, in stainless? Me too

Brendan: be VERY careful with pan supports. Take into account that not all pans are the same, so flatter, larger ones are more versatile, and that the ONLY parts of my Neff hob that are difficult to clean are the alloy bits that are the burner rings. The enamelled pansupports come clean easily in a dishwasher. That Smeg one looks as if the pan supports are alloy too? Cleaning probs?

Alcazar

Last edited by alcazar; 16 September 2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:59 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Not sure now if our bottles are propane or butane, in fact I originally thought they were butane until you lot went on about propane... As said, we're currently switching (had the co digging up the pavement outside the house in the last 3 days to connect our house to the street), so hoping the problem won't arise. The co. connection price includes rejetting your appliances, apparently.

Alcazar - cheers for the HU on the gas inlet! I've yet to see if the model is sold here.

Pan supports - I suppose we can find some and test it with the biggest pan we have. Bloody hope they aren't alloy, I'd have expected s/s at that price (and considering the structure - they are very thin metal).
Old 16 September 2005, 11:04 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Not sure now if our bottles are propane or butane, in fact I originally thought they were butane until you lot went on about propane... As said, we're currently switching (had the co digging up the pavement outside the house in the last 3 days to connect our house to the street), so hoping the problem won't arise. The co. connection price includes rejetting your appliances, apparently.
That being the case, then no problemo. Its just with the temperature in winter and lower offtake with butane I could foresee problems with rejetting domestic models.
Old 16 September 2005, 11:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bottled gas in Spain is mostly Butano if that helps (Repsol paint them orange- same colour as our propane..doh! ). But the huge fixed tanks you have in your garden are propano...sorry I don't know the portugease translation

But most garden gas powered stuff (heaters, bbqs, hobs etc) will work on either. Not sure if jetting for LPG is the same as for Butane/Propane though

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 September 2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 16 September 2005, 11:19 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Its just with the temperature in winter and lower offtake with butane
Pls explain? Is this something about not using all the gas in the bottles when cold as it sits at the bottom and there isn't enough pressure to use it? Chap explained that to us and used it to justify reconnecting our bottles in tandem, rather than using one at a time...

ali - we have bottles, 55kg ones. The colour seems to depend on the manufacturer rather than the content!
Old 16 September 2005, 11:26 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Another vote for gas here.

With a gas hob, all the heat from burning the gas is available right under the pan.

With any electric cooker, the gas gets burned in the power station, and only about 40% of the energy from it can be converted into useful electricity. The remaining 60% is lost as waste heat. In other words, more than twice as much fuel has to be burnt in order to cook dinner electrically then it would by gas.

Heating by electricity is inherently a hugely wasteful process
Old 16 September 2005, 12:03 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Pls explain? Is this something about not using all the gas in the bottles when cold as it sits at the bottom and there isn't enough pressure to use it? Chap explained that to us and used it to justify reconnecting our bottles in tandem, rather than using one at a time...

ali - we have bottles, 55kg ones. The colour seems to depend on the manufacturer rather than the content!
Butane has a boiling point around 0 degrees. In order to produce a vapour it needs to boil off which it can't do if the temperature is too low - hence no offtake which is why butane is used more frequently in countries such as Spain and Australia (although occasionally spiked with some propane) because temperatures rarely fall below 0 degrees.

Propane has a boiling point around -42 degrees so has no trouble producing a vapour (or liquid for that matter) below freezing point which is why colder northern European countries tend to use more propane than butane.

The only reason I can think of for your supplier manifolding two cylinders together would be due to the offtake required from your appliances exceeding the capacity of one cylinder, hence manifolding two together.

It does sound (with that cylinder size) as if you are on propane but its worth checking by looking at either the cylinder shroud or regulator.

Either way, you will be saving a fortune by moving to mains gas.
Old 16 September 2005, 12:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

He said it was to help the offtake, but whaddoIknow...

Not sure about saving a fortune - I've only seen one "comparison" site (from the mains gas people) which suggested I'd save about 10% at most. What I'd like to save is the need to check the bottles and order a new one every 10 days in the winter - heating a 6-bed house from bottled gas can be, erm, inconvenient! (And yes, we do have the non-essential rads turned off!) We've two bottles in tandem plus one spare on auto-switchover, but still...

BTW, anyone any more comments on induction?
Old 16 September 2005, 12:44 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

How much do you pay for 55kg cylinders?

Quick Reply: Kitchen hob - gas or induction?