Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

is it possible for someone to use my computer

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 11:45 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible for someone to use my computer

when im on-line,if that makes senseas it seems like i have some sort of bug on it.
i was at my friends house the other day,when i asked him if i could look at s/net from his computer,tried to log on when it said i was already on-line,and my little thing was white indicating i was on-line?

not sure of whats going on?

cheers
dannytwo
Old 16 September 2005, 12:11 AM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 16 September 2005, 01:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

did you log on from the other PC?
Old 16 September 2005, 07:36 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

yes someone can control your pc from another source. My friend did it to mine the other day (I had to download some software though)....once he had my IP address, he could move the mouse on my screen (he had a window on his computer which was my screen)

bit scary really
Old 16 September 2005, 08:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Was your computer turned on?
Old 16 September 2005, 08:56 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes lots of ways, one of the more publically known ones was "Back Oriface" although there are plenty of Trojans about. There are ways by using MS Remote Desktop or MS Remote Assistance, however you "should" need to authorise others to access you machine this way. There are other similar tools from other companies, but you would need to install them, unless they have been delivered as a payload from a virus of some sort.

Make sure you have a good virus checker and that they definitions are up to date. Do a full scan. Make sure you use some kind of firewall, a hardware based one is preferable but if not use Zone Alarm or Black Ice as well as the Windows XP built in one. Do a search for port watching tools and see what is seding / recieving data from the internet.

Also consider when you logon to some things, they leave you logged on until they timeout, this may be a few seconds in the case of Messenger or minutes in the case of websites. If you closed your PC down and were at your friend's a couple of minutes later it is possible SN hadn't realised you were inactive.
Old 16 September 2005, 09:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I've got broadband (if that makes a difference) and my COMPUTER stays on all day. I NEVER need to log on to SN, it keeps me logged on until I tell it I want to log off, (never!!!!), even when I'm not connected to the net.
Is yours the same?

Alcazar
Old 16 September 2005, 09:08 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dannytwo
when im on-line,if that makes senseas it seems like i have some sort of bug on it.
i was at my friends house the other day,when i asked him if i could look at s/net from his computer,tried to log on when it said i was already on-line,and my little thing was white indicating i was on-line?

not sure of whats going on?

cheers
dannytwo
Get any firewall except Norton (either its basic firewall or full Norton Internet Security). Kerio (do a search) offer free firewalls which is not a bad start. Once you've got a firewall you'll be amazed at how many hackers you get (99% of PC "intrusions" are not intrusions and are entirely harmless)

Get yourself onto this site Awesome Techy Geeks register and post something on the security forum. Someone will take it on board and get you to download and run a few programmes on your PC (basically a healthcheck). Once you post the results log back on the forum they will give you advice on free stuff to download to make PC more secure AND at the same time clear your PC of existing viruses etc. They'll also provide links to free Virus/Trojan checkers and all sorts of other amazing gizmos. You'll be so impressed you'll end up buying better bits than this which will give you auto-updates when on-line.

Don't worry about being a complete novice. If you don't understand any of the steps they ask you to do just post back on the thread.

I'm speaking from happy experience on an almost watertight now home PC and I am only mildly comp literate.

You will NEVER 100% protect your PC.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:28 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
I NEVER need to log on to SN, it keeps me logged on until I tell it I want to log off, (never!!!!),
Theres your answer isn't it? You can't log in twice
Old 16 September 2005, 10:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey, have I solved a computer problem? (Alcazar preens self)

Alcazar