Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Proposed new speed limits.

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2005, 04:57 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Proposed new speed limits.

I for one would be happy to go for this new approach to speed limits.

Near Schools (during school day) 20mph
Residential areas 25mph
B-Roads 40mph
A-Roads 90mph
Motorways 150mph (if they were ever clear enough)

There must be stacks of data showing where the majority of accidents happen. I'll be surprised if it isn't in the 1st 3 areas above.
Old 17 September 2005, 05:00 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Where are those figures from mate?

I think 150mph is al little OTT
Old 17 September 2005, 05:24 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

They come from months of tracks from a sat nav system

the 150 isn't a target, it would be a limit that would be well within the reach of most scooby drivers on a clear motorway.

And it would be safe
Old 17 September 2005, 07:58 AM
zip929
Scooby Regular

Angry

Should go for Germany style Autobahns where certain sections have no speed limits . Driven over there many times, and the lane discipline is very good. Problem here is you get people pulll into the outside lane and will sit there for 2 miles at 60mph. I don't have a problem with people who drive slow, they should just do it on the inside lanes.

In Germany people will not pull into the outside lane and do 60 cos they know there is liable to be a motor coming along at 120 +. If they can do it in Germany, then why can't we do it here. Agree with strict enforcement of speed limits in built up areas. There is a time and place for speed and it is not when there are children around playing in the streets, and chasing an errant ball that goes into the road. The kids only think of the ball, not the car that is coming down the road at 50 mph.
Old 17 September 2005, 08:10 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the majority of accidents are in 30mph zones, but most are fender-benders. Most pedestrians are killed in 30mph zones as well. Most car and motorbike drivers are killed on single carriageway NSL areas. I don't know about cyclists, but again it's probably 30mph areas.

M
Old 17 September 2005, 08:46 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The figure look good but I'm pretty sure we would never get those limits for the A roads and motorways as already has been said too many people would treat it as a target speed and be determined to do more. This is probably due to in Britain we do not have enough driver training or any driver discipline (that I can see) and spend far too much time catering for the lowest common denominator / pond life that seem to think that driving is their right - regardless of no licence, lack of MOT, Un insured, un road worthy, not thinking of the consequences of their action – or ultimately thinking they are responsible for their actions etc. As many of these know the chances of them getting caught are slim and the fine / punishment they will get will be very little real deterrent. A lot of these arguments could be counteracted by having a good visible Police presence on the roads, but they unfortunately don’t generate lots of money like a nice static scamera hidden behind a sign in a newly changed 30 mph road that used to be a NSL. Don’t even get the started on the latest Goverement ads on speeding ! Talk about aiming for the thickies and disregarding all the stats re motorwys being the safest roads !
Richard
Old 17 September 2005, 09:21 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 150 is ok for the average scooby driver, not sure about the rest of the population though.

I personally think with todays technology and the advancement of cars to the point of where they are nearly 100% better than when the speed limits were created,I think a realistic speed limit for the motorway would be 100mph , that allows for the not so great drivers. as well then.

just my 2p

jamo
Old 17 September 2005, 12:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Subarus aren't stable at 150 IMO...do 150 and slam on the brakes emergency stop style and report back to me with some humble pie

As are many other cars, last shape 3 series are intersting on high speed stops too. Just did the same in an old 80's Jag yesturday from silly speeds with no ABS (was actually testing the brakes and handling after some geometry work was done ) with no alarms bells at all...except a microsecond of oil surge
Old 17 September 2005, 01:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

variable speed-limits and enforced lower limits seems possible.........

also tolls roads and much tougher penalties for the illegal drivers

Last edited by dpb; 17 September 2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 17 September 2005, 01:18 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Just because some Subarus can do 150mph who wants to sit on the motorway on the limit etc

Needs increasing but maybe 150 is a bit ott?
Old 17 September 2005, 01:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree, we defintely need to get the illegal cars/drivers off the road, and give penaltys harsh enough to make them think twice before sitting in the driver seat whilst banned/uninsured/unroadworthy/untaxed. More real life enforcement focusing on driving standards rather speed.

Derestrict trucks, so they can actually overtake faster (most are geared to do a theorectical 75-80mph, just rpm or speed goveners are reduced to limit this to 55 by operators).
Old 17 September 2005, 01:27 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I think 150 is ok for the average scooby driver
Im not sure I'd agree with that! The average scooby driver now being a max-power reading chav (anyone hear that theres a "WRX for 3k" buyers guide in the current Max Power? )
Old 17 September 2005, 01:46 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

And given that some B Roads are currently NSL then I dont want them dropped to 40 thanks.

150. Can you imagine the amount of carnage that will cause over here. Everyone mentions Germany when it comes to this, but the Germans are different people to the Brits. Our culture is one of chancers and hypocrites.

I tell you what I would favour

Everyone gets a number plate which has to be renewed like in Germany so you can tell at a glance whose uninsured/ Un taxed or Un-Moted. Then have a different licence system. So you are restricted to a certain Motorway limit depending on you level of ability. This entitlement could be added to the plates in some way, so again the police can see at a glance if you are competent to drive above 100.
Old 17 September 2005, 02:06 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip929

If they can do it in Germany, then why can't we do it here.
Lack of driver education, wrong driver attitude (and general attitude of people in general), lower standards of car test etc
Just a huge messy can of worms were it to be implemented over here i am saddened to say- as much as I would want it to be the case, it simply would not work over here.
Old 17 September 2005, 02:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It's funny a lot of people seem to think it'd be compulsary to do 150mph every time you get on the motorway
Old 17 September 2005, 02:48 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

150 Imop is too high, the driving test would have to improve quite a bit, and have some high speed training in it.
Old 17 September 2005, 03:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jods
the 150 isn't a target, it would be a limit that would be well within the reach of most scooby drivers on a clear motorway.

For the first 10 miles, until piston no.3 liquidises...
Old 17 September 2005, 07:45 PM
Scooby Regular

In my opinion any spped limit would earn more respect if limits generally were imposed in a consistent and logical manner.