Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Skiing for christmas?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2005, 09:31 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skiing for christmas?

Any idea where I can get the best deals etc? Can you recommend a decent tour operator?
Old 22 September 2005, 11:35 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Give me a few more details eg- experience, price bracket, hotel/chalet, europe/canada/states and I can reccomend you some options might even be able to point you towards some good deals depending what you want

few things to take into consideration when thinking about ski resorts over the festive period

1. Lots of kids arround - if you are without kids then you may find places quiet in the evening, lots of ski school snakes etc.

2. season has only just really got going so inexperienced challet staff having to cope with one of the most expensive weeks = crimbo dinner let downs

3. Going on the last 2-3 years I would have classed the snow as average at best at this time of year - the season seems to have shifted a little later each year. - you never know though could be a good one this year!

If you have any other questions let me know I have spent a lot of time in the alps and if I haven't been somewhere I know someone who has!

Andy
Old 23 September 2005, 08:46 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy!

Experience - missus has hardly any and I've done a few weeks' snowboarding, so low overall! Hotel in Europe would be ideal I think - must be near good restaurants!

Step-sprog is going to his dad's over christmas this year, will everywhere be rammed with families?
Old 23 September 2005, 09:13 AM
scooby munkster
Scooby Regular

Location: Essex,chelmsford also another member of the essex scooby crew

Hi mate you should contact a group called "equity ski" they do all in packages all including food, ski hire, lessons, passes all for a really good price they are situated in brighton, but a good search engine should find them. Myself the wife and two kids have been a couple of times and cannot fault them.

Paul
Old 23 September 2005, 09:30 AM
scooby munkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby munkster
Hi mate you should contact a group called "equity ski" they do all in packages all including food, ski hire, lessons, passes all for a really good price they are situated in brighton, but a good search engine should find them. Myself the wife and two kids have been a couple of times and cannot fault them.

Paul
also snowboarding.
Old 23 September 2005, 08:26 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I did my first two winters in Hotels and Christmas week was probably the second most expensive week after easter half term. Unfortunaltely Tour operators charge a premium during school holidays and over the festive weeks. Tour operators like Mark Warner have chalet hotels but are very well known for their child care so if you want to avoid kids then don't go there! They do have a couple of adult only places one in Val D'saire and another in St Anton but I think they bend the rules over the 'peak' weeks. 'Premium' companies to have a look at are Powder Byrne, Scott Dunn - (again do well on their child care) and Flexi ski - Personally if you are feeling confident then you can book direct with the hotels and save a packet.

As far as resorts go in europe there are loads to choose from but it is very hard even in exclusive resorts to find a good restaurant.

For a good selection of restaurants then Courchevel 1850 is probably the best with michelin starred chabichou, though that is over €120 euros a head on a normal day. Unless you stay up in the Jardain Alpin/Altiport area its not even that pretty but it is part of the largest ski area in the world so there is something for everyone. There is also a lot of money there so there is usually fun things going on - If you did choose here i can give you a few restaurant ideas as I did that for a living there a couple of years ago!

I would personally avoid Val d'Isaire as its not so suited to boarding and the runs are a little bit more difficult quite sparse and spaced out

If you want smaller resorts have a look at St Martin de Bellville - still great access to the three valleys but quite a nice quiet resort it seems - no idea what the restaurants are like though

Austrian resorts - If you want mad then St Anton very swiss chalet style resorts with lots of building regs - may find the skiing a bit much as a beginner, again there is St Christoph if you want quieter or lech and Zurs if you want exclusive - think fur coats and not much skiing done

Italy - Courmayeur I have heard some good things about, its off the back of Chamonix in Near Mount Blanc - Food is very Italian as you would expect but deffinately worth a look

Swizerland - super expensive even more so than the French alps Party resorts include Verbier and to a lesser extent Zermatt otherwise Wengen if you want smaller

To be honest I would avoid Andorra unless you are a real beginner as the price advantages have been significanlty reduced so its worth going somewhere nicer!

Have a look arround and let me know your shortlist!

Sorry for the essay - I could go on for hours about skiing!

Good luck

Andy

Last edited by 106rallye; 23 September 2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 23 September 2005, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We generally to Les Gets in France which is a nice resort, it maily depends on what level you are at and whether you have a family in tow, for the Family bit we used a company that operate in Les Gets called Ski Famille who were very good.

Jackson hole in Wyoming USA was lovely, prper wild west flavour and Harrison Ford lives there, bloody long journey though.

Trending Topics

Old 24 September 2005, 08:17 AM
scooby munkster
Scooby Regular

Try banff in canada its the best for all round, Powder snow "AAHHH" beats europe hands down and cheap to get to and also from december to april perfect conditions,been in dec- busy may/april -empty slopes best time ever.

Paul
Old 24 September 2005, 09:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've raved about Banff on here before, but a couple of things - firstly you may find it pretty darn cold compared to Europe (-15-20 is normal), and secondly it can be hard if you only want a week - with a flight that long, and 8? hours jetlag, you may well want to take at least 10 days there.
Old 24 September 2005, 11:04 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree that the powder is hands down better in the states/canada for a beginner the cost/jet lag/cold etc. imho makes it not worth while. You have to have done a fair few weeks before you want to spend money on a guide and get some 'freshies' or at least get anything out of it

Andy