Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

That time of year again - Foglights Grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 10:26 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry That time of year again - Foglights Grrrrr

I lost count of how many times I saw foglights on my way to work this morning, that fog does suddeny roll off the moors of Worcester Park, Cheam and Carshalton it seems

Everyone seems to do it though, from Mr company car, to SaxoBoy (sorry SB) to school run mum, this phenomena really does span all stereotypes

If somehow we can shame them, at least by internet peer pressure, then perhaps some, just some of them will realise that they are a pain in the ****, and people don't want to look at the 'look at me' **** behind the wheel.

Its not cool, its CHAV. There - said it
Old 13 October 2005, 10:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree

Les
Old 13 October 2005, 10:33 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

well whats the point of having those big scooby spots if your cant use them rear fogs, now they do annoy me

InvisibleChav
Old 13 October 2005, 10:35 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can somebody just bring up last years threads and save a lot of people the time
Old 13 October 2005, 10:36 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

How else are you supposed to see people when you're doing 110 on the M40 in thick fog....?

Old 13 October 2005, 10:36 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I think we should throw stones at them.
Old 13 October 2005, 10:37 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Can somebody just bring up last years threads and save a lot of people the time
I'm trying to get some foglight/chav movement going here, stop living in the past
Old 13 October 2005, 10:39 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

101 great uses for fog lights:

1. When someone is seriously tailgating you, wait till they're reeeeaaaallllllyyyy close then wack on the fog lights. Their immediate reaction is to stamp on the brakes cos it looks like you slammed the anchors on! Works like a dream everytime!
Old 13 October 2005, 10:48 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

How else are you supposed to see people when you're doing 110 on the M40 in thick fog....?
absolutely right. I mean the police have them too. I have my fogs on so they can see me, they then put theirs on so i can see them
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I saw a Ford ad on telly last night and they are even advertising a model with sporty looking front fog lights...So it means even more numptys will be using them...
davegtt
Scooby Senior

something else no matter who you are, what you earn, what you drive, what you dress like makes you a chav Is anything/anyone not a chav? bl00dy hell, talk about an overused word
Old 13 October 2005, 10:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

but.....it....might.....just.....work

hnmmnmmmmm?
Old 13 October 2005, 10:53 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

driving in cars with a ridiculiously big wing maybe
Old 13 October 2005, 10:53 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOVI
I saw a Ford ad on telly last night and they are even advertising a model with sporty looking front fog lights...So it means even more numptys will be using them...
Yeah but at least the fog light button on the Focus is impossible to turn on by accident, you have to pull and turn the switch to put it on, then as soon as you turn off the ignition it turns off so that it isn't on when you start the car up again.

That doesn't stop people from thinking it looks 'cool' and turning it back on again though unfortunately. It drives me mad, it's so inconsiderate to other road users I'd like to go around with a big hammer and smash them all, then do all the foglights too
Old 13 October 2005, 11:11 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I don't use them myself except in thick fog or heavy rain, but why let it get to you? They're not exactly dazzling are they?
Old 13 October 2005, 11:21 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Do you lot not have anything more interesting to moan about?

Ive never understood why people have such a problem with fog lights. Id rather have drivers with headlights and fogs on than the punks around here that drive with none even in poor light conditions.

Simon.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:22 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I don't use them myself except in thick fog or heavy rain, but why let it get to you? They're not exactly dazzling are they?
My thoughts exactly. Driving lights and full beam maybe but unless your some old codger wearing binoculars for specs that magnifies them to look like the bat signal, then I cant see why the annoy people so much.

Simon.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:30 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Following rear ones are a pain in the **** and it is distracting.

Lots of front ones do dazzle, otherwise you're right, I wouldn't be bothered - apart from my bigoted view that all people using them inappropriately are *****
Old 13 October 2005, 11:32 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I thought it was actually illegal to use them in clear conditions?

In fact it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature...gfog_rac.shtml

Last edited by unclebuck; 13 October 2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:35 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I thought it was actually illegal to use them in clear conditions?
Yes it is and the police round here love handing out on the spot fines for it

Cookie ( Fitted with fog light covers)
Old 13 October 2005, 11:38 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

it is. how foggy do you need it to be before its legal. serious question. I wonder how its measured. if the police stop you do they collect a sample of fog in a breathalizer type device to measure the density? how can they prove your illegal, its different when moving/stationary & well it was abit heavier back there a few moments ago.....

edited: i could see the CoRnEr with my spots on

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 13 October 2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:41 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The Highway Code tells you when it's appropriate to use them. Any other time is illegal.

Or is it just more of this 'I'm so cool I don't need to obey the law' attitude we see so much of these days.

Do you drive an X5 by any chance?!?
Old 13 October 2005, 11:52 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

When visibility is below 100m (328ft)
Old 13 October 2005, 11:52 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
apart from my bigoted view that all people using them inappropriately are *****
Ha, I think that's the ticket!
Old 13 October 2005, 12:02 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

but as we know fog can come & go just like that. I dont think you can accurately measure it. If its patchy & its been heavy & you get stopped how the hell do they know. If its clear for miles they yeah sure switch them off but im not going to be switchin them on/off constantly...im concentrating on the road with both hands on the wheel esp if the same happens as your kitchen light, you switch that one on/off too quickly the bulb blows

You should all know my hatred of poncy gay people carriers esp X5s, so no i dont
Old 13 October 2005, 12:06 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

and the whole switching your rears on as some **** in an X5 is up yer **** doesnt work cos theyll only theirs on & you get blinded because of the higher level that those lights are at even though some have said they dont
Old 13 October 2005, 12:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

That time of year again - Foglights Grrrrr
What's the time of year got to do with it ? In Yorkshire they seem to use them all year round, day and night Especially people carriers, BMW's, Chavo's, 10-Chavs etc. You're right about the legality, 100m or less visibility. Hell, you legally don't even need headlights where there are streetlights, sidelights are the minimum requirement. I think Ford have it right with the self cancelling idea, but it would be enhanced by perhaps the addition of a warning (loud) beep every 2 minutes (twice if rears are also on). Of course, you'd get plenty of dummies coming onto forums asking how to disable the beep, just like all the ones who ask how to disable the Scooby seatbelt beep In the last 10 years I must have flashed 000's of tw@ts, and I can only recall one whom actually switched them off and then waved acknowlegement as he passed me on the m-way. What I have noticed recently is the rise in the amount of people using the rears in the rain

Maybe this offence should be handed over to the safety partnerships to regulate, they'd make a bl00dy fortune
Old 13 October 2005, 01:21 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

mmmmm.... front fog lights....

Hol? Hol? Calling Hol!

If only life wasn't so short, I'd take some pictures of the front of my car just to see what sort of 'dazzling' affect the front fogs have. As they're pointed down at a point around 2m in front of the car I'm not expecting much (unless I take the pictures from a snail's eye level).
Old 13 October 2005, 01:50 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IanW
When visibility is below 100m (328ft)
so that means any time at night then

i leave mine on all the time ,and i dont see what the fuss is about. i can see the verges a lot clearer so in theory that must make it safer. ps half the roads i drive dont have white lines, being a country bumkin
Old 13 October 2005, 02:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
mmmmm.... front fog lights....

Hol? Hol? Calling Hol!

If only life wasn't so short, I'd take some pictures of the front of my car just to see what sort of 'dazzling' affect the front fogs have. As they're pointed down at a point around 2m in front of the car I'm not expecting much (unless I take the pictures from a snail's eye level).
TW@T

There are many situations when driving where your cars lights may not be pointing directly where they're intended. What if you're just broaching the brow of a hill on a rainy night and the oncoming car has a slightly smeary windscreen ? The dazzle from your dumbass chav lights could put him, yourself and anyone in the immediate vicinity (pedestrians/cyclists etc) into danger.

If life's is so short, why waste it breaking a law in such an adolescent fashion you purile moron. The Highway Code states that sidelights are legally adequate where street lights are spaced at 628ft of less, and most people use headlights as soon as it's dark anyway so why the need to illuminate an extra 3 feet of road either side of you car and 6 feet ahead Given that at 30mph the accepted stopping distance is 75ft, what chance will you have to avoid anything illuminated by your fogs

Like all the rest, you simply believe that it looks cool and sporty, which to all other infantile pillocks it may. To the rest of us whom have the intelligence to realise the dangers it just looks dumb.

Quick Reply: That time of year again - Foglights Grrrrr