Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So anyone been backpacking to thailand ??

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 09:35 PM
rs125
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So anyone been backpacking to thailand ??

Hi all...

Just handed my notice in at work today and im off to thailand in jan for a month..Ill be flying into Bangkok then from there i have no idea as off yet..
The travel agent said buy a book called the lonely plannet and go from there with hostels etc...does this sound ok ??

Anyone got any tips on what to take or wear etc..as you can probably guess im a little worried and clueless but its something ive allways wanted to do and ive 100% made my mind up about going..

If anyone knows any nice places to go etc that would be good or any decent websites to look at...

thankyou

gavin
Old 13 October 2005, 09:49 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I haven't been to Thailand, but I'm a big fan of the Lonely Planet guide books. They are excellent and not as "boring" as many other guide books.
Old 13 October 2005, 09:49 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello mate, i normally go about five time's a year, its going to be hot so your need plenty of shorts and vests.

Phukets a nice place to go, from there you can go to hundreds of islands like Phi phi (were they filmed the beach) and James Bond island (man with the golden gun).
Look at the citizen's advice burea to see if there's anywere there saying not to go to .
Ive never had any problems out there and ive been going for 4 years.
As about the hostels, i dont know mate, the hotels are so cheap out there ive never bother'd

If youve got any questions mate just ask and if i cant answer i'll ask my dad as he live's out there and i talk to him most days

James
Old 13 October 2005, 10:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My daughter's just got back. Some thoughts on this thread. She had a fantastic time btw.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...light=Thailand
Old 14 October 2005, 05:25 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

my mate went out last week there for 6weeks... he's rented a flat/apt/room for the time there £120!!!!!!

theres some woman he goes out there to see lol
Old 14 October 2005, 05:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by salsa-king
my mate went out last week there for 6weeks... he's rented a flat/apt/room for the time there £120!!!!!!

theres some woman he goes out there to see lol
So that's £2.86 per day. Certainly looks after his women your mate
Old 14 October 2005, 06:00 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool Koh Tao!!!

I was here 10 years ago for a while - would thoroughly recommend Koh Tao, small island above Koh Phan Gan. From what I hear it has developed slightly but not too much.

I stayed at Ban's Diving Resort - still going strong now. If you look on Google for Koh Tao, most of the dive shops / centres have sites. Best bet is to catch a train from Bangok to Chumphon (sp) overnight and then a speed boat to the island. Have no idea how expensive things are now but my best bit of advice is avoid the buckets!! (Thai Red Bull - significantly stronger than over here, Thai whisky - Mekong or Sangthip and coke). Holy sweet mother, a few of those and you were well and truly battered!

Any other questions, just PM me!
Have a top time, a beautiful country, lovely people and great food!

Mossman
Old 14 October 2005, 06:04 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Mossman
I was here 10 years ago for a while - would thoroughly recommend Koh Tao, small island above Koh Phan Gan. From what I hear it has developed slightly but not too much.
[Alan Partridge]Soo, tell me about the LADYBOYS!![/Alan Partridge]
Old 14 October 2005, 07:18 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Bangcok, one thing you must do, is check the local girly bars. You'll be surprised the fun that can be had for a mere few pounds i tell the.............ding dang doo. They are free to get in =, the catch is that the drinks are expensive, but there still cheap compared to the UK.