Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contracting.......

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 10:02 PM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Contracting.......

I've been in the same job for 15 years since school getting a bit fed up and fancy the contracting game.

Are there any electrical technician contractors on here? I have applied for loads of jobs on various job sites but never get a response. Is this maybe because I have no contracting experiance?
Old 14 October 2005, 07:22 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

What sort of area are you in? what qualfications do you have ?
Old 15 October 2005, 03:08 PM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
What sort of area are you in? what qualfications do you have ?
I live in Plymouth, Devon, but will travel anywhere.

Quals : IEE 16th, HNC electrical and electronic eng, ONC as previous, MTL Haz areas, applying for JIB,
Old 15 October 2005, 03:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Chipti might have some ideas for you may be?
Old 15 October 2005, 10:35 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The JIB grading for electrical are quite ridged in my experience e.g. they will want you to have C&G 236 part 1 + 2 and 2391 AM1 and AM2 and NVQ3 to grade you as an approved electrician which is basically the grade of an experience installation electrician.

To get on site the quickest way is probably to try and get in through an agency as an electricians mate / improver and then get yourself promoted by proving that you have the skills.

If you can demonstrate experience and a good level of skill you might get a small firm to take you on for this the local paper is a good place to look.

It does depend what you want to do. You would probably find that a company like AMEC would be interested in you for site maintenance with the qualifications you have.

I take it that the only C&G you have is the 2380? Not sure what the work situation is like in Plymouth but in London there is work though it is quieter from what I hear than a couple of years ago but with the Olympics build looming a few years things should pick up on the site side which will increase the short fall of good Sparks in other area's. At the moment there is an influx of inexperienced new people looking to make easy money but struggling to find jobs or if they do hold them down for long as their inexperience shows or they don’t like the realities of the job e.g. cold wet outside work or indoors in some pretty grotty places.
Old 15 October 2005, 11:11 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

Do what you have gotta do. Forget all that mumbo jumbo, if you got the brain the use it to get you into anything, REMEMBER ball**** baffales brains!!!
Old 16 October 2005, 08:36 PM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by recopish
Do what you have gotta do. Forget all that mumbo jumbo, if you got the brain the use it to get you into anything, REMEMBER ball**** baffales brains!!!
LOL