Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anorexia

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 02:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Anorexia

A mum I know quite well (her lad and my lad are good mates) is in a bit of a mess with an anorexic 14 year old daughter. Diagnosed in May and quite serious as girl is in hospital in the week and home at weekends. Mum is separated from hubby but still friends and he does give some support.

I'm going to keep out of it but would like to be able to offer any advice re support sites or whatever. I have a feeling that if she just went into Google it would just get even more depressing.

I don't want this to be a "Dear Clair" post but if anyone has any direct experience and has some practical advice it would be appreciated. Thanks, David.
Old 14 October 2005, 02:09 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

David, just be supportive without getting involved with the ins and outs of the condition. Listen to what her Mum needs - she's the one you can help
Old 14 October 2005, 02:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel-eyes
David, just be supportive without getting involved with the ins and outs of the condition. Listen to what her Mum needs - she's the one you can help
Thanks. That's really what I intend to do. It's just that if there was some good help/advice around offered by people that know what they are talking about it would be good to pass that info on. Not helped by the fact that the mum in question has just hurt her back quite badly and is not really mobile at the moment!! At least I have some experience of bad backs david
Old 14 October 2005, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Be careful, even offering help sites / groups without being asked for assitance may cause afront. Be there if she needs you and don't judgemental, but I wouldn't suggest leading her in any direction. Be a sounding board to her if it helps and guide her to finding the answers for her self.

(Guess who's just been on a course that involves an element of counselling )
Old 14 October 2005, 02:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OllyK.......sounds like pretty sound advice to me. I deal with a number of people with eating disorders through my job and I always leave it up to the experts (at the Hospital).

Midlife.....

PS Olly did you do the "Egan Skiled helper model" course ??
Old 14 October 2005, 02:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Fair points. I'll keep my powder pretty dry then
Old 14 October 2005, 02:35 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
OllyK.......sounds like pretty sound advice to me. I deal with a number of people with eating disorders through my job and I always leave it up to the experts (at the Hospital).

Midlife.....

PS Olly did you do the "Egan Skiled helper model" course ??
No it was a management course, one of the topics was interviewing and this included recruitment, discipline, appraisal and...counselling
Old 14 October 2005, 07:19 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

It is a difficult topic one thing I would say is not to suggest that she will just "snap out of it" this sort of problem never goes away totally though people get better it is frequently lurking in the back ground later in life.

People don’t make a conscious decision to be like this and therefore can’t make a decision to not be like this. A lot of the support as said above is just to make time to listen and not judge. the professionals will be the best at treatment and it sounds like that is happening already, this is a positive step as if the person can see they have a problem with eating then that is the first step. A lot of people seem to refuse to accept this and think the weight is the problem even when extremely thin as their own image differs from what others see. Even when extremely thin they will search their body to find one piece of fat and then continue to starve to get rid of that. Each small reduction in body weight etc is felt as an achievement pushing themselves onwards down this road. Hence recognising that they have a problem is important but the road back is long with frequent relapses. I am sure there is much information out there on the web.
Old 14 October 2005, 07:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Adrian. That sounds very sensible. Even before I posted on here I was certain that it must be left to the experts and all I can do, if anything, is to try and cheer up mum as I can tell it's beginning to overwhelm her. david
Old 14 October 2005, 09:45 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

I was watching This Morning on ITV yesterday and there was a bit about a mother and daughter who have written a book about their experience.
It gives both sides of the experience of living with anorexia.

The daughter was very ill and had quite a bit of time in hospital but is making a good recovery now.

Not sure if this is any use but it might help the mum to read how a mother and daughter got through it? May help you get some understanding of what they are going though if you want to go that far??

Anyway here's a link ....

Alice in the Looking Glass: A Mother and Daughter's Experience of Anorexia
Jo Kingsley, Alice Kingsley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...707176-9458831

hth
cath
Old 14 October 2005, 09:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Cath and many thanks. Hope all well

david