Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SPECS the norm now for motorway roadworks?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 02:54 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPECS the norm now for motorway roadworks?

Just had a week in Scotland visiting the folks and ran the gauntlet of the numerous roadworks on the M1, M6 and M74.

What surprised me a little was to see that all the roadworks that had cameras, had SPECS. I think I passed through 3 or 4 sets of roadworks on the M6, usually seeing around 4-6 gantries in each, depending on the length of the roadworks.

I didn't see any GATSO's, with a few of the smaller roadworks not having anything at all.

I'm sure they weren't like this back in May when I last went up.

There still seems to be a general ignorance of these cameras as there were always plenty of cars passing me while I stuck at the speed limit.

One set that I remember was on the M6 somewhere north of Manchester on the northbound lane. The roadworks drop the motorway to 2 lanes, but there's around a mile at the end where it goes back up to 3 lanes, though the speed restriction still applies. The vast majority of people sped up at the 3 lanes, but there was a SPECS camera about 1/4 mile before the end. The thing was, it wasn't just cars passing me, it was lorries as well. Guess there may be a few people in for a surprise.

Dave.