Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

eBay question

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2005, 05:41 PM
jamieerst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay question

I recently sold a CPU on ebay in full working order, the buyer payed and i delivered the CPU....all is well.

Buyer then contacts me to say the CPU doesnt work, i offer to take it back and test it, sure enough it doesnt work.

there are markings on the cpu that would indicate that it has blown, they definetly where not there when i sold it and it worked perfectly.

where do i stand ?

should i a) stand my ground and tow the, "it was a used item hence no guarantee" or b) refund him the money....

ta,,
Old 01 November 2005, 06:18 PM
Banana HavoK
Scooby Newbie

I bet he overclocked the hell out of it, blew it and thought "oh i'll send it back"

Did you state in your auction that it was used, did u state a refund policy. You really have to treat a cpu bad to "blow it". So he either did it when fitting in or overclocking/voltage. Depends if you care about negative feedback.

Good Luck
Old 01 November 2005, 06:20 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

What this boils down to is how much you value your feedback score. I am an ebay power seller and a few times now customers have threatened to leave me negative feedback because they were unhappy with something. They can basically blackmail you into giving them a refund/replacement etc. On one occasion a woman said an item had taken over a week to arrive (it hadn't, I'd posted it the day after payment was recieved) so as compensation she wanted a further two items or else she would be leaving negative feedback.

If you are positive the marks were not there and it was working when you sent it, tell him this and suggest that you think he is trying to pull a fast one. Explain to him that it was working when you sent it and that he has blown it through improper use. Say you are not in the business of selling faulty goods as this would obviously attract a great deal of hassle from unhappy customers. Finally, tell him that as far as you are concerned, the matter is closed and you will not leave him negative feedback provided he doesn't either, and send the CPU back to him.

Or refund him the money and let the gimp get away with knackering your CPU?
Old 01 November 2005, 06:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

To be honest you shouldn't have taken it back in the first place because it just complicates things, you should of just said that it worked when you sold it.

After doing a bit of investigating for you (and i am guessing its this item "AMD Athlon 2700 CPU 333Mhz FSB" ) I would not be refunding, he looks a bit dodgey as he sells copied games AND he is also selling a motherboard and AMD chip that is sold as "untested" (ie not working!)

I would send it back and tell him to spin on it!
Old 01 November 2005, 06:51 PM
jamieerst
Scooby Regular

thanks for looking into that mate...

just seen his mobo's for sale,

these are the two that he said he tested the cpu in!!!!

PLOT THICKENS!!!
Old 01 November 2005, 07:04 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

tell him to go to french connection (**** off)
Old 01 November 2005, 07:15 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he had a blown chip, brought yours, then returned the knackered one.

As everyone else says, tell him where to go
Old 01 November 2005, 07:36 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Quite common now - something breaks, buyer looks on Ebay for one the same, buys it, then complains that its doesnt work or has been damaged in the post, and returns their old one for a refund.

If you are smart ( or cynical or have been on Ebay as long as me ) whenever you send out anything that could be swapped, you either make a note of all serial numbers and codes, or mark it with one of those security pens somewhere crafty.

Had a similar one once with a 128mb memory stick I sold - knew it was working fine as it had been in my PC before I upgraded, but the buyer reckoned it was knackered and wanted a refund. When he returned it, it was a different brand from the one I had sold him !

I e-mailed and pointed this out along with the pic from the original auction, and a pic of the memory he had returned - after some poor excuses ( 'sorry, it must have been one I bought from another seller' - NOT according to his Ebay history ! ) I never heard from him again.
Old 01 November 2005, 07:38 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

or his CPU had blown, he buys your's, fits it and it get's blown aswell so now he's selling the other fooked bits & trying to get his money back from you!!

I would tell him to 'sook yer fat one!!' and send it back to him - if he does leave you negative feedback can you not add comments to tell your side? (I've seen this a few times).

Den