Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 09:14 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Ok assumed username time cos dont really want to identify myself to anyone..sorry

Just after some advice really...

im a 26 year old bloke and im just about at the end of the road now....for well over 10 years now i've suffered from a multitude of problems that are just getting worse rather than better and just wondering if you suffered from these problems what you'd do? A couple of people i've spoke to have suggested that me wanting to end things is stupid...but be honest....could you live with these problems if you knew there was no way to cure them? Councelling is gonna do **** cos these are all physical problems that cant be cured....

firstly i sweat bad...ok everyone sweats but i sweat in the most stupid situations. im 6ft 3 and only 13.5 stone and work out every day so im not a fat waster.....

sitting at work the other day...2 tshirts on....minus temperature outside...office fairly cool. On the phone to someone diagnosing an IT problem for about 30 mins. come off the phone and there are huge sweat patches under my arms....gone through 2 layers of clothes! Could you cope? There is no cure...

go out biking with my mate today - its 4 degrees most of the day. After 10 mins im sweating badly on the forehead/back/groin. My mate hasnt even broke a sweat. Remember im physically fit....

My hands and feet always sweat....get up in the morning...shower...go shopping in town for 1 hour...come home...socks are damp...you can see the dampness on the socks...i mean wtf?

Sitting here now typing my hands are clammy. can sit in the car on the way to work (when i lift share) with hands on lap for duration of journey (45mins)....lift hands at end of journey and you can see hand prints of sweat on my trousers.

im 26 and i still suffer from acne....suffered for 10 years tried every medicine known to man....still no better....there is no cure

i also suffer from a bad case of red face...sometimes im fine...others i can be sitting doing nothing particular and my face goes really red...very uncomfortable burning feeling that sometimes takes hours to go away...if i have to do a presentation at work...forget it....my head boils

its made worse in social situations when talking to people in close proximity...sitting in a small meeting room with loads of people....

as a result of all these problems i suffer from social anxiety (obviously - as if you wouldnt) and avoid virtually all forms of social interation if i can....hide in bogs at work when meant to be in meeting....its starting to affect my career badly now....

dont want this to sound like a sob story - trying to be as forthcoming as i can. I would just like to hear how you would cope (and be honest) if you had to suffer from all these problems?

Thanks
Dominic
Old 19 November 2005, 09:24 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

sorry to be blunt m8 but think maybe you should get some perspective on life. Pop down your local hospital to the cancer/neurology/etc department and then see how you feel when you see the patients there (especially the kids).
No insult meant by the way.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:33 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

just one question... have you consulted a doctor about all of this?

you say councelling wont help, but maybe it would help in some way to gain control and build you confidence up again, as lacking confidence will only make these problems worse.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:36 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

go out biking with my mate today - its 4 degrees most of the day. After 10 mins im sweating badly on the forehead/back/groin. My mate hasnt even broke a sweat. Remember im physically fit....
Just to clarify, ultra-fit people will always sweat easier/faster than people less fit because their bodies are more efficient.

There are sweaty people with acne that I see at work, doesn't make any difference to how they are treated at work.

Otherwise you've just got to deal with it, change your focus in life. Some people aren't suited to social situations and the sooner you realise that and get over your main problem (psychological) the better.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:37 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dominic1979
im 26 and i still suffer from acne....suffered for 10 years tried every medicine known to man....still no better....there is no cure
Im 25 and i still suffer too, it will clear up then all of a sudden ill get a big bruiser on my nose. Ive also tried numerous pills, creams etc and still get it. Short of Roacutane ive tried everything too. You do look in the mirror at times and think whats the point in trying to look good! Plus you can feel self consious at times.

Having said that i dont seem to have any problems
Old 19 November 2005, 09:37 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Alas - i know in respect to what people with proper illnesses have to go through its nothing but for me having to live with it for over 10 years now and during this time having no life to speak of - to me feels like having a serious illness.

Angel - Yes the doctors i've seen all concur that nothing can be done...ive just to live with it....i've done hypnotherapy but after 2 sessions the hypnotherapist said he couldnt help me as in the 15 years he'd done hypno he'd never come across someone like me....story of my life lol
Old 19 November 2005, 09:38 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
sorry to be blunt m8 but think maybe you should get some perspective on life. Pop down your local hospital to the cancer/neurology/etc department and then see how you feel when you see the patients there (especially the kids).
No insult meant by the way.

Have to say I agree. Dont get me wrong, sounds like a **** situation you have got there, but at the end of the day what are you going to do? You cant give up, there are so many worse things out there than the things you are dealing with (granted it doesnt make them easier to deal with).

Take a step back, and look at your situation from an another point of view, you are focusing on the negative things in your life, have you thought about the plus points?
Old 19 November 2005, 09:39 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

have you ever been tested for an over active thyroid?

also whats your diet like?

james
Old 19 November 2005, 09:40 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert in this particular field, but certain physiological problems can cause some all of the symptoms you are exhibiting, e.g. thyroid problems.

Unfortunately I have to say though, the same physical effects can also be caused by pschological problems such as anxiety... a bit of a viscous cycle if this is the case.

Both are treatable though...
Old 19 November 2005, 09:41 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

as a result of all these problems i suffer from social anxiety
Can't possibly imagine what it's like, so i won't insult to pretend i do.
It seems like your in a catch 22 situation, yes you have a problem, but because you get anxiety it makes it worse, the more you withdraw from life, as it seems your doing, when you are forced in to prehaps a presentation situation your condition will just get worse.
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
Great minds!
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by shaggy1973

also whats your diet like?

james
No never been tested for that - doctors just dont seem to take it seriously if im honest and tell me to run along and deal with it....

diet wise - fine. Like i said work out every day (go running or down the gym when i can face it). Eat 3 square meals and not much crap...dont drink or smoke
Old 19 November 2005, 09:42 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Swen6
Can't possibly imagine what it's like, so i won't insult to pretend i do.
It seems like your in a catch 22 situation, yes you have a problem, but because you get anxiety it makes it worse, the more you withdraw from life, as it seems your doing, when you are forced in to prehaps a presentation situation your condition will just get worse.
First empathetic comment i've had in years....thank you
Old 19 November 2005, 09:43 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

whenever i feel sorry for myself, which i have to say isnt very often fortunately, i think of some of the places ive been in the world where people have nothing at all...puts things into perspective for me...maybe you could start doing some charity work then you can see just how much you probably do have to live for compared to so many others...?
Old 19 November 2005, 09:44 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

try drinking a pint of guinness at night time and then a pint of water (every night)

eat red meat, plenty of vegetables steamed not boiled, dont add salt butter or any other ingredients.

as for the thyroid, ask about it.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:47 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Look for an antiperspirant with the active ingredient 'aluminium chloride hexahydrate' - 'Anhydrol Forte' is one trade name. More likely to be found at a proper Chemists and not Tesco's.

Last edited by Dieseldog; 19 November 2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:48 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Look for an antiperspirant with the active ingredient 'aluminium chloride hexahydrate' - 'Anhydrol Forte' is one trade name. More likely to be found at a proper Chemists and not Tesco's.
Like Mitchum....tried that...believe it or not it actually made things worse ROFL
Old 19 November 2005, 09:50 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

No never been tested for that - doctors just dont seem to take it seriously if im honest and tell me to run along and deal with it....
There is a specific type of skin condition known as 'rosacea' that has been linked with an underactive thyroid, it can look like red flushing/acne.... excess sweating is another symptom of hypothyroidism. A friend of mine at uni was diagnosed with it. He used to get a bright red rash from the neck up.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:52 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ajm
There is a specific type of skin condition known as 'rosacea' that has been linked with an underactive thyroid, it can look like red flushing/acne.... excess sweating is another symptom of hypothyroidism. A friend of mine at uni was diagnosed with it. He used to get a bright red rash from the neck up.
So what was done? Is he 'cured'?
Old 19 November 2005, 09:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

you can control it with drugs.

do a google.

James
Old 19 November 2005, 09:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Somebody i once worked with had sweaty problem - fortunatley, for us all the job generally was outdoors( painting) so we could avoid the unevitable odours.
I gather it was a 'condition', nothing to do with growing strains an the rest - he was about 56 i think..felt a little sorry for the geezer - otherwise he was a resonable chap, well he was bit o winger but there yer go...
However one day a couple of the lads were doing out some ole girls kitchen. Now it wasnt a cold out an before too long this guy was dripping - whereupon hed take his shirt off - now she must have missed somthing because on seeing this wet shirt she volunteered to turn up the radiators up and stick it over....
Old 19 November 2005, 09:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

So what was done? Is he 'cured'?
He was specifically diagnosed with hypothyroidism and treated accordingly. The medication sorted out the symptoms but he wasn't 'cured'. It was 'managed' rather than 'cured'.

We can't make a diagnosis, all we can do it punt some ideas around but you should approach your GP and get him to test for the obvious. If he doesn't take it seriously then see another doctor. Its obviously making you unhappy so they should do their utmost to check there is no underlying physical reasons for your symptoms.
Old 19 November 2005, 10:01 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ajm
He was specifically diagnosed with hypothyroidism and treated accordingly. The medication sorted out the symptoms but he wasn't 'cured'. It was 'managed' rather than 'cured'.

We can't make a diagnosis, all we can do it punt some ideas around but you should approach your GP and get him to test for the obvious. If he doesn't take it seriously then see another doctor. Its obviously making you unhappy so they should do their utmost to check there is no underlying physical reasons for your symptoms.
No - thanks for the suggestions. Its more than i've got out of 3 doctors ive seen in the last year....

Last edited by dominic1979; 19 November 2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 19 November 2005, 10:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Just to clarify, ultra-fit people will always sweat easier/faster than people less fit because their bodies are more efficient.

There are sweaty people with acne that I see at work, doesn't make any difference to how they are treated at work.

Otherwise you've just got to deal with it, change your focus in life. Some people aren't suited to social situations and the sooner you realise that and get over your main problem (psychological) the better.
Kiwi just to clarify,your saying that fit people sweat *more* than less fit people given the same physical task..?
Old 19 November 2005, 10:05 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Do you drink sports drinks or take suplements?
Old 19 November 2005, 10:07 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

what he wanted to say is do you take steroids?
Old 19 November 2005, 10:07 PM
dominic1979
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Do you drink sports drinks or take suplements?
Nope
Old 19 November 2005, 10:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Kiwi just to clarify,your saying that fit people sweat *more* than less fit people given the same physical task..?
Not more, they can break into a sweat faster.
Old 19 November 2005, 10:12 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

No - thanks for the suggestions. Its more than i've got out of 3 doctors ive seen in the last year....
Doctors see a lot of people presenting a lot of symptoms. They are also under a lot of pressure to prioritise the treatment they give and medication they prescribe. You have to remember that your symptoms might seem fairly trivial to them in the grand scheme of things, however if they are leading to depression then that is a serious problem and they should recognise that.

Remember its easy for us to reel off potential causes for what you are suffering, but at the end of the day we don't have to make the diagnosis. I guess you just need to be frank with your doctor and impress upon him/her the fact that your physical symptoms are having a negative impact upon your wellbeing, both physically and mentally!
Old 19 November 2005, 10:28 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

^^ very good advice ^^