Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

M42 - Mandatory Variable Speed Limits

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 07:07 AM
Jontyclassic"00"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M42 - Mandatory Variable Speed Limits

The above goes live today, so watch for the speed limits flashing on the matrix signs. I guess if you go over, they'll now be using the hundreds of spped cameras they've installed.

Jonathan
Old 28 November 2005, 09:50 AM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that! I wondered when it would happen after seeing all the stuff they've installed!
Old 28 November 2005, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Was up there ealier...weren't switched on. M40 was busier

Beware of the speed cameras on the gantries (ala M25 ), Not every gantry has one, but there are there.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:32 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Go live tonite ...not exactly difficult to figure out which gantries have camera's though!

What worries me more is that the 'advisory' limits that have been active for a fair while have been so inaccurate they've become virtually useless!!!
Old 28 November 2005, 10:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DazW
Go live tonite ...not exactly difficult to figure out which gantries have camera's though!

What worries me more is that the 'advisory' limits that have been active for a fair while have been so inaccurate they've become virtually useless!!!
Indeed...especially when some dopey traffic controller has left them switched on at 4:00am with a totally empty motorway and no roadworks
Old 28 November 2005, 11:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Passed through there yesterday. How much did all that lot cost Couldn't believe how many gantry's, and how many of them had camera's 3 or even 4 across, one for each lane, on both sides You have to wonder how variable the limits are going to be, and are they going to try and catch people out. IIRC there used to have to be a speed limit sign visible within the frame of a Gatso picture to confirm the limit was suitably posted, so can these cams see the limit on the next gantry, or will it change from one to the next
So glad I don't live there and have to use that road regularly.
Old 28 November 2005, 02:11 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Passed through there yesterday. How much did all that lot cost Couldn't believe how many gantry's, and how many of them had camera's 3 or even 4 across, one for each lane, on both sides You have to wonder how variable the limits are going to be, and are they going to try and catch people out. IIRC there used to have to be a speed limit sign visible within the frame of a Gatso picture to confirm the limit was suitably posted, so can these cams see the limit on the next gantry, or will it change from one to the next
So glad I don't live there and have to use that road regularly.
I use it everyday J3 to J13 & back again ...& yes the 'advisory' limit has been known to change every 200-300 yards! ive seen NSL,60,50,40 & then back to NSL all in visible distance & for no apparent reason ...ive also seen information about a sliproad being closed at the next junction ...but for the other direction!!! ...it really is that bad!