Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sierra Leone Mutilatees - Welcome over here anytime.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2005, 05:51 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra Leone Mutilatees - Welcome over here anytime.

There have been alot of discussions on more than one thread about immigration, racial issues, and religions, and how they do / do not contribute to making this Country even more of a ****-hole.
Whilst i've said my bit covering some issues i would like to extend my comments to those innocent people horribly and deliberately mutilated and tortured in Sierra Leone.
It is upsetting to the bone that human beings are doing this to each-other, least of all to those who aren't even fighting back.
As far as i'm concerned these tortured and mutilated people are the sorts of people that we should be letting over here for a free ride. Not certain other people that have been discussed elsewhere.
I wish we could have rescued the Sierra Leone's from this. I would personally have happily paid the equivalent of income support to one of them myself for as long as would have been necessary (even years), if it meant they didn't go through what they did.
Whilst our country has it's problems and plenty of people should be sent packing, spare a thought for the fact that just about every other part of the globe has been ruined in some way, solely by man, aswell. To be honest it goes above race. Human beings per se are the scum. Race, and all associated taunting and prejudice, is just another manifestation of it.
You suck everyone!

Last edited by Neutral Cruiser; 30 November 2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 30 November 2005, 06:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Would they be muslims too
Old 30 November 2005, 06:18 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Don't think they're into that crap, but if they were still let them over.
Old 30 November 2005, 06:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sad as it might be, why should we give them a free ride? Why not France, Germany, Italy, America or Canada?
Old 30 November 2005, 06:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Muslim 60%, indigenous beliefs 30%, Christian 10%
Old 30 November 2005, 06:44 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Unfortunate, but there are a fair few countries near to Sierra Leone than good ol' England.

I'm afraid this just highlights the issue that face many African states. They need to finally sort themselves out and get rid of the regimes that conduct these kind of atrocities.

That's why events like Live8 are so deeply flawed - the money raised won't go to those intended to be helped - the root cause of the issue needs to be tackled - handouts and charity merely temporarily (if, at all) alleviate the suffering with no lasting effect.

Everyone with a TV could see that genocide was taking place in Rwanda but did the UN do anything - NO, not a damn thing. Africa really shows the UN to be what it is, a place for people to pontificate but not actually achieve anything except create a wonderfully bureaucratic system that doesn't help anybody in real need.
Old 30 November 2005, 07:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I've visited Sierra Leone many times. To make it all worse Sierra Leone has an abundance of natural resources. Gold and diamonds and fertile land for starters. In colonial times it all worked reasonably but in the last 20 or so years corruption by Govt officials, often in collaboration with Lebanese "businessmen", have brought it to its knees. To be fair Western Govts have tried quite hard and for example the World Bank insisted on choosing the Governor of the Central Bank. Guess what when he started introducing anti-corruption policies he was assassinated (reported as accident with CO poisoning from heater).
Sadly bringing these uneducated amputees to this country would only be of short term benefit to those individuals. Better, IMHO, to spend the money on building and resourcing a decent medical centre in Freetown. Not that they have many nurses left as we have nicked them for our own NHS........

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2005, 10:38 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

anyone seen Hotel Rwanda? This thread just reminded me of it....
Old 30 November 2005, 11:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've been to Sierra leone too, i spent 3 weeks on holiday in Freetown once.

It must have been quite a nice place when the Brits were in charge of it (roads, railways, electricity, gas, schools etc.), but since they were given independance the place has steadily fallen apart ever since - to the point where it's now a 3rd world hell-hole.

I saw a guy kill himself by the side of the road when I was there. I was about 10ft away sat inside a bus parked alongside where he was standing on the grass by a road junction. He stabbed and sliced himself to death with a selection of swords and knives over the course of about 5 minutes. No idea what that was all about but he looked pretty calm as he cut his own tongue off, sliced his stomach open, stuck a foot-long needle through his eye and deep into his brain etc etc, as well as repeatedly stabbing/slicing away at himself. All whilst watched by a small crowd of curious locals.

Some seriously odd people there, i feel sorry for the innocent ones who aren't looking for trouble but get caught up between the warring factions. Very sad.
Old 01 December 2005, 12:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Not a nice story Iwan. Something that you will have as an image for years. I assume some mental problems but without a proper health system those things will happen. Often the community will deal with minor issues but that poor chap was obviously seriously distressed. Powerful drugs were a big factor in many of the horrors that went on. dl
Old 01 December 2005, 11:44 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

I visited the amputee school near the airport when i was there.How anyone could chop a childs arm off is beyond me.Dont really expect much more from african states these days though.
Lovely beaches mind.
Old 01 December 2005, 06:16 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

I take comfort in the absolute belief that we reap what we sow. I may not be around to see the people who mutilated these innocents get the same later on / in the next life, but it will happen, of that you can be sure.
Old 01 December 2005, 07:21 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Theyre welcome to apply for sanctuary at the first safe country they get to - which means they should never make it to the UK as we're chuffin miles away!!!
As for letting them come over and free load.... ROFLMAO.... errr NO! Thats liberalism gone potty. They should at least be made to work in the circus or something..
Old 01 December 2005, 07:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
Unfortunate, but there are a fair few countries near to Sierra Leone than good ol' England.

I'm afraid this just highlights the issue that face many African states. They need to finally sort themselves out and get rid of the regimes that conduct these kind of atrocities.

That's why events like Live8 are so deeply flawed - the money raised won't go to those intended to be helped - the root cause of the issue needs to be tackled - handouts and charity merely temporarily (if, at all) alleviate the suffering with no lasting effect.

Everyone with a TV could see that genocide was taking place in Rwanda but did the UN do anything - NO, not a damn thing. Africa really shows the UN to be what it is, a place for people to pontificate but not actually achieve anything except create a wonderfully bureaucratic system that doesn't help anybody in real need.
What he said!
Old 01 December 2005, 07:27 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Theyre welcome to apply for sanctuary at the first safe country they get to - which means they should never make it to the UK as we're chuffin miles away!!!
As for letting them come over and free load.... ROFLMAO.... errr NO! Thats liberalism gone potty. They should at least be made to work in the circus or something..
Everyones entitled to there own opinion but i think that what people are trying to say is that in this world there are a lot more people more deserving of our charity than some of the lazy scum that waste our taxes as it is.Wouldnt you like to swap your local ASBO family for some 4 year old whos had his arms hacked off by rebels?
Old 01 December 2005, 07:43 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
Everyones entitled to there own opinion but i think that what people are trying to say is that in this world there are a lot more people more deserving of our charity than some of the lazy scum that waste our taxes as it is.Wouldnt you like to swap your local ASBO family for some 4 year old whos had his arms hacked off by rebels?
Exactly. Abdabz' comments are those of an unconcious selfish cretin who lacks even enough empathy to feel that someone having their hand hacked off is going through truly immense suffering. He is probably (undoubtedly) more concerned whether some poxy football team score a goal or not than anything of importance. Why am i even wasting my time writing this about him. It will never get through to a person that vacuous and with a skin (and brain) that thick.
Old 01 December 2005, 07:46 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Neutral Cruiser; 02 December 2005 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Just the one post would have done. Was bored
Old 01 December 2005, 08:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It wasn't so long ago of course that the Brits rounded up Sierra Leoneans and shipped them off to the US as slaves.

Abdabz, I think your remarks stink.
Old 01 December 2005, 11:01 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Neutral Cruiser; 02 December 2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Should have been more chilled out. Was very bored.
Old 02 December 2005, 10:53 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Chill out ffs, I for one read the 'circus' remark as tongue-in-cheek.

The basic sentiment is correct of any asylum seeker though. Britain is an island, meaning that other than a very few people, most asylum seekers travelled through at least one other 'decent' country to get to us.

I'm sorry, but anyone in so called fear of their life/persecution/imprisonment etc should be stopping at the first safe country enroute. Fair enough that we then take our fair share out of them but no fookin way should we be accepting people who came through Europe to get to us cos we offer more. Everyone of them that came through another safe country to get to us is a blood sucking leech in my book and should be bounced back to where they came.

In the middle ages when churches were sanctuary, I doubt very much that anyone fleeing a baying mob, went running past the first church because the rooms weren't as nice and 2 churches down the road the food was better