Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sinister new developments...

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2005, 10:13 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Sinister new developments...

...as the crucial intruments of state control are begun to be put place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4555298.stm

Our very own super accurate government controlled GPS network. The only one in the world outside of the US. Once this little lot is installed and functioning you can wave goodbye to all the petrol headed activities you may enjoy today.

No more ragging it on the 'twisties', no more playing in snow covered carparks, and certainly no more 'bending' of speed restrictions. Your every move willl be monitored 24/7 and charged accordingly. This is the begining of the end of freedom of movement.
Old 28 December 2005, 10:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

im not botherd anymore TBH

there is always ways around this kind of stuff, even if it means i have to cover the car in tinfoil before doing a donut in the snow
Old 28 December 2005, 11:01 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

strange no one has mentioned !! or even spoken about the new changes in the laws of arrest to be introduced on 4th january??

i only found out because i was chatting to my brother in law yersterday,

talk about keeping things quiet!!

Mart
Old 28 December 2005, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What are the new changes then Mart?

Les
Old 28 December 2005, 12:29 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking of which ...... read this.
Old 28 December 2005, 12:52 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
im not botherd anymore TBH
Indeed. In fact The State is counting on your apathy in opposing these 'measures' until they have been put in place.

By that time of course it will be too late.
Old 28 December 2005, 12:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well bend me over and shove a chip up my *rse

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2005, 01:08 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

The changes to laews about arrest will not affect you, if you do nothing wrong!

All that is happening is making pretty much all offences arrestable, instead of just some, for example, sec 47 assault (the minor one) was not arrestable and led to all kinds of arguments when dealing with minor fights etc. Now it will be. But all this is ONLY IF NECCESSARY. What this means is if i stop someone who i pretty much know has no licence, insurance, tax etc and is giving me vague details as to where they live i can arrest them straight away no problem instead of having to waste time with voters checks, finding addresses, going to address to see if they live there etc. Hopefully it will speed up the proccess of getting offenders to court.
Old 28 December 2005, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
The changes to laews about arrest will not affect you, if you do nothing wrong!

All that is happening is making pretty much all offences arrestable, instead of just some, for example, sec 47 assault (the minor one) was not arrestable and led to all kinds of arguments when dealing with minor fights etc. Now it will be. But all this is ONLY IF NECCESSARY. What this means is if i stop someone who i pretty much know has no licence, insurance, tax etc and is giving me vague details as to where they live i can arrest them straight away no problem instead of having to waste time with voters checks, finding addresses, going to address to see if they live there etc. Hopefully it will speed up the proccess of getting offenders to court.
And it won't, of course, EVER be used by bullying coppers in the same way as "I'll arrest you for a public order offence" is now.

And more junior police officers won't WANT to use it, but regretfully, will, because "we have to obey orders"

Alcazar
Old 28 December 2005, 01:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

How the f*ck can making any offence, an 'arrestable offence' not worry us? What an amazingly ignorant and naive position to take Chris.
Old 28 December 2005, 01:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

So in theory could i be arrested now for something like having an illegal sized numberplate? (Have recently changed mine back to normal size after being accused of being a terrorist as my front plate was too small)
Old 28 December 2005, 01:39 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

All that is happening is making pretty much all offences arrestable,
Oh, is that all. That's alright then.

It's deeply depressing what is currently happening in this country. All in the name of 'keeping us safe' of course.
Old 28 December 2005, 01:46 PM
Reality
BANNED

Look Guys,

anything that allows the Police to arrest black people for no reason must be a good thing .

For the hard of thinking this is sarcastic rather than racist
Old 28 December 2005, 01:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I wonder if these new powers od arrest apply only to the Police? As things are now, you and I can arrest a person who we see comitting an arrestable offence.

Even in the harsh early Victorian era a Constable had to summons you for anything other than a serious offence ffs!
Old 28 December 2005, 02:31 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

How long untill the government are boasting how the police are arresting more people nowadays, trying to imply they are arresting the more serious criminals.
Old 28 December 2005, 03:45 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Talking of which ...... read this.
So how many of us will be driving dirty cars. You can't read what you can't see.
Old 28 December 2005, 04:40 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Bask to the original track of this thread, UK government have had access to the US version of GPS for about ten years as have the rest of the world's population, and a damn useful thing it is too.

How does Galileo being a European version affect civil liberties in the UK? Anyone who thinks this is the beginning of the end of civil liberties is totally paranoid.

Of course if they insist on a government accessible Galileo based tracker system in every car then that's a different matter. But they could do that now with GPS so what's the worry about Galileo?
Old 28 December 2005, 05:04 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
So how many of us will be driving dirty cars. You can't read what you can't see.

You wont be able to have a dirty car as that will be an 'arrestable offence' as well

You can't be seen to be stopping the goverment piggy bank top up FFS
Old 28 December 2005, 05:15 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huxley
You wont be able to have a dirty car as that will be an 'arrestable offence' as well

You can't be seen to be stopping the goverment piggy bank top up FFS
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but having an illegible number plate is already classified as an offence. You should check your plates are readable every time you use your vehicle, at the same time you check all your bulbs are functioning and your tyres have legal tread and are correctly inflated.....
Old 28 December 2005, 05:31 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The changes to laws about arrest will not affect you, if you do nothing wrong!
- yeah right and what about the normal think they know it all average policeman - who generally know very little of the actual law and generally spout verbal diahorra!

Hopefully it will speed up the proccess of getting offenders to court.
Where the true criminals will get off with a slap on the wrist or a holiday to somewhere warm and the normally law abiding motorist arrested for some minor infirgment will be fined heavily and be paying for aboves holiday !

Time to sort out the magistrates court first me thinks, without trying to ram more traffic through it !

Richard
Old 28 December 2005, 05:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

why has NXG got a diffrent colour blue name ?
Old 28 December 2005, 05:38 PM
Rage!
BANNED

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
why has NXG got a diffrent colour blue name ?
Government spook!
Old 28 December 2005, 05:44 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The changes to laws about arrest will not affect you, if you do nothing wrong!
Some might say Chris that saying "Rubbish" during a conference is doing nothing wrong. Some might say that reading names of dead soliders at a memorial for dead soldiers is doing nothing wrong. But the Government knows otherwise
Old 28 December 2005, 05:48 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but having an illegible number plate is already classified as an offence. You should check your plates are readable every time you use your vehicle, at the same time you check all your bulbs are functioning and your tyres have legal tread and are correctly inflated.....
ark at err

Also you forgot "not driving with your fogs on like most fcukwits"

HTH
Old 28 December 2005, 05:49 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As an interesting aside to the discussion on the change of status of many offences to allow arrests for almost random events...

It was recently revealed that Hampshire police stopped and searched 4,438 people in only 3 months using anti-terrorist legislation, their total for 2003/2004 was 696.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4365572.stm

It might be quite reasonable to assume that there had been a huge increase in terrorist activity in Hampshire. However, in response to a Freedom of Information request Hampshire police revealed that during the period that they stopped and searched 4,438 people, many of them motorists, they charged exactly zero people with terrorist offences. That is to say not a single one of these people was a terrorist. I also asked how many of the people stopped were arrested or charged with motoring offences but they refused to provide this information on the basis that the cost would exceed "the appropriate level."

So, while the police and government may give assurances that many broad reaching laws will be used carefully and only in exceptional circumstances it would appear that Hampshire, at least, is using the anti-terrorism legislation to stop and search random citizens who happen not to take the police officer's fancy. (People who speak their mind at Labour Party Conference are also at risk as we discovered.) They are also doing this more than 1,000 times per month and none of the people they are stopping are terrorists, in fact the people being stopped and searched are probably just driving along thinking "if you don't do anything wrong then you have nothing to fear" when the officer waves them down and proceeds to try and make their face fit some crime.

I'd bet there isn't a single person on this forum who doesn't have an illegally downloaded MP3 track, or a tool they borrowed from work and haven't returned yet, or a tyre that needs another couple of PSI, or a windscreen washer bottle that needs topped up or...

The list is endless and you and i are the people who need to fear the anti-terrorism laws and they way they are being applied in Hampshire, and other places. These generally decent, generally law abiding citizens are also the ones who will have to fear the extension of the powers of arrest and the constant monitoring of our movements from satellite spy chips in our cars and on our person. Remember, over 1,000 people per month in Hampshire are thinking "I haven't done anything wrong so I've nothing to fear" and finding out to their cost that they are the very people with most to fear.
Old 28 December 2005, 05:58 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Indeed. Combining the above with the new arrest rules - that ALL offences become arrestable - and there you have it. A Totalitarian Police State.

We would never accept the sudden imposition of a totalitarian police state, so if it is to be done, it has to be done gradually by stealth, one step at a time. These various measures should not be seen in isolation. Many people quite close to the top positions of power may not be aware of the full picture – MPs and others do not have time to become familiar with the whole range of bills and proposals that are put before parliament. The security and intelligence services are not answerable to Parliament and their activities remain hidden from view in the interests of so called "national security". Our freedoms are being gradually eroded… what will come next? As it is, with real power vested in unelected and unaccountable commissioners bankers and bureaucrats, democratic principles are already alien to the EU. It is submitted that the building blocks are being put into place whereby soon we could find ourselves living in a dictatorship in which protest will become increasingly difficult and ultimately will not even be tolerated.
Old 28 December 2005, 06:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'The Police' misusing (abusing is a better description) powers intended for a different purpose is hardly a new occurance is it?

Perhaps this abuse should be made into an arrestable offence also?

Simon
Old 28 December 2005, 06:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yet again I have to agree with Hedgehog.

I don't think we're being paranoid at all, I think it's VERY scary

Just the other day there was a letter in the local press asking why more than 20 officers were at a roadside vehicle checking area in our town, when other more serious "crimes" go 5 days or more before any police appear because "no-one is available". (Witness my youngest's assault: STILL not dealt with).

Three days later, a "traffic" inspector from Humberside Police responded saying that anyone who had any qualms ought to have stopped and questioned those carrying out the checks

One of my lads did just that on a different occasion, and was IMMEDIATELY threatened with being arrested fior a public order offence, (you know, a bit like :"I'm telling on you............" that we used to hear in the playground when we WERE SIX!!!!)

These people are on another planet.

Cops: get real, wake up and smell the coffee: MOST of the "general" public doesn't trust you, and find it hard to support you. You KNOW why. Do something about it.

Alcazar, (not holding his breath)
Old 28 December 2005, 06:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
How does Galileo being a European version affect civil liberties in the UK? Anyone who thinks this is the beginning of the end of civil liberties is totally paranoid.

Of course if they insist on a government accessible Galileo based tracker system in every car then that's a different matter. But they could do that now with GPS so what's the worry about Galileo?
Ah, the old 'paranoid' arguement. I thought that had more or less been kicked into touch. It's not a question of 'if' but 'when' we are required to have dirtect state controlled GPS fitted to our vehicles. That's the whole point of the system. We need our own system as it's far more accurate then the old US system, and the sheer bandwidth required for what they have planned will in itself require a 'next gen' solution.

I noticed on the news item excited officials declaring that upwards of 100K new jobs will be created in the wake of the introduction of the new system. Obviously fitting, and maintaining all the 'black boxes' and of course the real 'work' of tracking everyone will require and army of new recruits. I think 100K is a conservative estimate.
Old 28 December 2005, 06:10 PM
4x4chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Bask to the original track of this thread, UK government have had access to the US version of GPS for about ten years as have the rest of the world's population, and a damn useful thing it is too.

precisely! the whole GPS-tracker-in-your-car thing is soo bl00dy flawed i dont think it will ever take off, not in the near future anyway.... there are so many hurdles to overcome, not to mention privacy laws.

Galileo is a damn good thing, it means we dont have to rely on an American military controlled system for something that is becoming very pervasive in our lives. Trust me, when the time comes that Air Traffic know exactly where your aircraft is at all times, be it over the Atlantic or on a taxiway at Heathrow you'll be thankful for the accuracy!

Quick Reply: Sinister new developments...