Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Subwoofer update

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 01:12 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer update

Well i hooked my new baby up today, and gave it a work out...

guess what

HUMMMMMMMMMMMM

so off down the diagnostic route.......

and the guilty party

the £40 ixos coaxial twisted pair dedicated sub cable......

best £40 quid wasted ...

replaced it with..... free phono cable and no humm

any ideas if these puppys are repairable???

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 01:28 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Maybe you needed more snake oil on the cable!

Seriously though, do you have a link? I can't seem to get my head around something which can be both twisted pair and co-axial.
Old 03 January 2006, 01:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Build your own.

If it uses a decent thickness of cable, chop the ends off, run along to mapin or RS and buy some decent phono connectors to solder them to.

Twisted pair for an analogue (or even digital) audio interconnect sounds odd. Should be screened coaxial.

Twisted pair is what you use for telephones

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 January 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03 January 2006, 03:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

relax,

it was a bit of sarcasm on the cable type, i,m a bit pi**ed of at spending that much for a cable to have probs,,,

when a 99p job has solved the problem...

I will chop the ends off and give it a reworking... and see what hapens...

i have allready been in touch with my spares dept !!

they should be with me tonight

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 03:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I was right

its an Ixos 1081 twisted pair mono interconnect,

pc-ofc conductors al-mylar sheild

just put my meter across it and the results are as..

continuity from center pin to centre pin.

continuity from outer shield to outer shield

no continuity from centre pin to outershield at either end..

just checked the ohmage as well

reads 0 any way i connect it...

but hum it does!!!

any ideas on this, or do i just ditch it and get another

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 03:48 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The continuity sounds OK. Did you route the 99p cable in exactly the same position as the 'good' stuff? Is it possible you inadvertantly fixed the problem when you changed cables?
Old 03 January 2006, 03:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
The continuity sounds OK. Did you route the 99p cable in exactly the same position as the 'good' stuff? Is it possible you inadvertantly fixed the problem when you changed cables?

yes thought of that too, the hum was noticeably less on the cheap cable..

to give you an idea, as soon as i plugged the end in to the sub, you could hear a hum, touching the tip of the phono plug made it a lot worse..

when repeated on the 99p job, there was some hum but reduced by a factor of about 90%

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 05:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

just done a back to back comparason

when the ixos is in place hum is noticable on quiet passages.. change to the 99p job and the hum is eliminated...

it looks like the shielding has given up the ghost..

just seen a profigold one advertised, are they any good

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 08:13 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
...Twisted pair for an analogue (or even digital) audio interconnect sounds odd. Should be screened coaxial...
I work pretty much in the world of pro audio stuff, I'd take a decent screened twisted pair for audio any day - assuming it's balanced line that is (which counts out phono interconnects etc.).

I'm really not into top end hi-fi though, it's a dangerous game. Probably much like modifying cars and stuff, too many things to blow money on!

It's always good to hear a tale of interconnects actually making a huge difference to sound quality though - shame it's in reverse!
Old 03 January 2006, 08:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
I work pretty much in the world of pro audio stuff, I'd take a decent screened twisted pair for audio any day - assuming it's balanced line that is (which counts out phono interconnects etc.).

I'm really not into top end hi-fi though, it's a dangerous game. Probably much like modifying cars and stuff, too many things to blow money on!

It's always good to hear a tale of interconnects actually making a huge difference to sound quality though - shame it's in reverse!

does make you wonder about the emperors new clothes dosent it

not sure what to do at the mo, might drop over to av forums and have a post

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 10:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Could be it's just crap screening.

Mind, I can talk on audioviles fancy interconnects...... here's me who bodged the audio connects on my PC to the hi-fi using old headphone cable (it what was handy at the time), didn't hum, but made a hell of a crackle when I switched on the desk lamp
Old 04 January 2006, 02:12 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I've seen the profigold stuff sold with various badges on it, but basically the same cables and connectors. They seem pretty decent if you're someone who want's something better than the crappy 99p maplin ones but can't be doing with paying £100 for a cable made in oxygen free air and all that crap.

I have my subwoofer connected up with one, and it doesn't hum
Old 04 January 2006, 04:14 AM
bigdavie
Scooby Regular

your pissed ???!!!!!
i just bought an audio system /dvd player /home cinema /radio /6.1 and bought the cable suggested by the tech ?? at comet ( btw its a monster 3x rca type cable @ 60 fookin quid : ( ) oh and the stereo /sound system is a denon adv 500sd and the prob is that the sound is out of sync with my new telly ( a samsung 46 " dlp ) does any one know where have i gone wrong ?? except spending 2 gs on a home cinema system that doesnt bloody work properly .... any replies greatly appreciated ppl ty : )
Old 04 January 2006, 04:19 AM
bigdavie
Scooby Regular

and mart 360 i am so sorry for the hijack but have you checked all the jacks @ both ends ie sub + is actually going to sub plus on the amp and then the sub as it really does sound like a polarity prob mate my advice without wanting to tread on toes !! good luck anyway mate !!!! btw i'm still breaking in my velocity 15" wot kind of system / sub do you have mate ??
Old 04 January 2006, 07:58 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigdavie
...the sound is out of sync with my new telly ( a samsung 46 " dlp ) does any one know where have i gone wrong ?? except spending 2 gs on a home cinema system that doesnt bloody work properly .... any replies greatly appreciated ppl ty : )
No doubt the amp has settings to delay the sound from each channel, so that they can be tuned for the distance between each 'speaker and you (listener). If this is very wrong I guess it could make the sound out of sync.

Have you read the manual and followed the setup procedure fully?
Old 04 January 2006, 09:59 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Im, wondering whether to take the sub feed straight from the dvd, as opposed to the amp, might try it later to see what results i get

Mart
Old 04 January 2006, 01:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bigdavie
your pissed ???!!!!!
i just bought an audio system /dvd player /home cinema /radio /6.1 and bought the cable suggested by the tech ?? at comet ( btw its a monster 3x rca type cable @ 60 fookin quid : ( ) oh and the stereo /sound system is a denon adv 500sd and the prob is that the sound is out of sync with my new telly ( a samsung 46 " dlp ) does any one know where have i gone wrong ?? except spending 2 gs on a home cinema system that doesnt bloody work properly .... any replies greatly appreciated ppl ty : )

Had this problem with Sky digital when the signal recepetion is weak. From what I gather certain boxes are alot worse than others. Even though the signal strength meter says its fine, and channel recpetion appears to be ok. (My dad's Pace did this quite often before the LNB was replaced - but has started doing it again - probably due the neighbours huge untrimmed leylandii tree right infront of dish's line of sight ).

Either that or it's a signal porcessing issue. If you have any DSP options turned on, like SRS trubass, "WOW" or some other sound adaptation processing. It does cause a minute delay to the audio signal being emitted. I would suggest every single sound and video enhancement feature on both the TV, DVD player, and Surround system is turned off.

Also try using different connection methods from the source to the surround system. By rights you "should" use the optical connects (if there are any). But if there is a poor quality circuit design or signal processing used in either the source device, or the surround system. Then it could make the problem apparent. So trying different connection mentods like Digital coax, or standard analogue components to see if any difference is noticed.

And finally, a poor quality/faulty digital audio connect cable can cause issues if the surround system cannot cope well with signal errors, but usually its pretty obvious if this is the case (audio intermittently cuts out, high pitch screeching etc.)

Hope that helps.