Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do people think they have priority over cyclists...

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 12:13 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do people think they have priority over cyclists...

...when it comes to giving way in the same way as cars?

I was coming up to a mini roundabout on my bicycle and stopped to give way to cars coming from the right. Then, when there were no more cars from the right, I pulled out onto the roundabout. First a Land Rover Freelander charges across, possibly quite fairly as I was nowhere near that side of the roundabout at the time, but then a woman in a Ford Fiesta, who has quite obviously seen me as I made eye contact with her, decides to carry on onto the roundabout heading straight for the side of me. She screeches to a stop about a foot away from my bike, and then has the cheek to give me the middle finger!!! Being 15 I try and ride on the pavement wherever safe (ie when there are no pedestrians) but around the roundabout there were none.

Why do people not understand that you still have to give way to bicycles?

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 12:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Unless it is night time and you have no lights on and are wearing black as so many of the damn cyclists round here do, in that case, you're fair game!
Old 04 January 2006, 12:20 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

The current wording is "give way to people already on the roundabout" but many people still thing it's "give way to vehicles approaching from the right"
Old 04 January 2006, 12:25 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I was already on the roundabout. And no, it wasnt a solar eclipse and it was mid day.

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 12:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There is too much guesswork with cyclists, they seem to want the highway code to apply to them when it suits, but seem quite happy to ignore it as well. The times I have seen cyclists with no lights, jump red lights, swerve across the road and mount the pavement, ride on the pavement, neglect to signal their intentions and most common of all not actually look at all before performing a manoeveur, it amazes me that there are any alive on the road at all.

And yes I do cycle.
Old 04 January 2006, 12:41 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Have a look here :-

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs09.htm

Interesting reading.
Old 04 January 2006, 12:43 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

There is a very odd (not to mention dangerous) view amongst a certain group of motorists that as cyclists don't pay road tax (why would we), then cars have priority in any situation. I have been in several situations where cars haven't given way to me as a cyclist, even why it has been clear that they can see me (not being seen is obviously another danger in itself...)
The main problem is that if you brave it out against a car, you're the one who'll end up in A&E or the morgue, and being in the right won't bring you back to life. Just ride with a touch of self-preservation!
Old 04 January 2006, 12:53 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
There is too much guesswork with cyclists, they seem to want the highway code to apply to them when it suits, but seem quite happy to ignore it as well. The times I have seen cyclists with no lights, jump red lights, swerve across the road and mount the pavement, ride on the pavement, neglect to signal their intentions and most common of all not actually look at all before performing a manoeveur, it amazes me that there are any alive on the road at all.

And yes I do cycle.
The same can be said of the group "motorists" - there are good and bad, and it's unfair to tar everybody with the same brush.
Old 04 January 2006, 12:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
The same can be said of the group "motorists" - there are good and bad, and it's unfair to tar everybody with the same brush.
Sure, but I see far more cyclist (assuming I do see all the ones I pass) at night without lights on than I do any other kind of road vehicle. I see far more cyclists illegally riding on the pavement than I do any other kind of road vehicle (with the possible exception of motorcycle couriers in London )

Yes I'm generalising, but you don't need to pass a test to ride a bike on the road, and in general as a cyclist I'm appauled at the standard of riding on the roads, and not just by kids.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:03 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John Catlin
Have a look here :-

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs09.htm

Interesting reading.
Interesting? Why? Because it says "give way to TRAFFIC"?
Depends how you define TRAFFIC - I'd assume that included cyclists.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:08 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I have to agree that the general standard of riding is very bad, and often dangerous. I always try and see my cycling from the view of others on the road and predict what others are going to do. It is very difficult to predict what others are going to do if they wont follow the highway code.

I ride on the pavement sometimes in heavy traffic if there are no pedestrians around as it is legal for me to do so and it is safer for me.

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 01:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phelpsa
I ride on the pavement sometimes in heavy traffic if there are no pedestrians around as it is legal for me to do so and it is safer for me.

Adam
I think you may find that it is illegal for ANY vehicle to travel along a footpath unless it is designated as a dual use path, i.e. foot and cycle. I do admit that this is an oft discussed topic and that different councils interpret and enforce it differently.

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=81950
Old 04 January 2006, 01:55 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

When i talked to my local council they said it is legal for anyone under 18 to ride on the pavement as long as they are not riding dangerously or without due care.

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 01:58 PM
Reality
BANNED

...then a woman in a Ford Fiesta
This is the key to your problem Adam.

She was probably concentrating on something more important - Like how her nails were or something else.

Women can't drive. Assume this and you'll survive longer.

ps The only thing more dangerous is an old man in a flat cap .
Old 04 January 2006, 02:06 PM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

I will give way to cyclist when they start obeying the laws of the roads, I lose count of the times I see cyclists jump red lights ride on the pavement and generally cause mayhem when I am out and about in the city of London.
Old 04 January 2006, 02:08 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

The police cyclists ride on the pavements!

I used to ride a bike to get to and from work, and now you wouldnt catch me on a bike for love nor money! I've had my fair share of near misses and warnings!

Been a car driver i can now see what a problem cyclists are to motorists and you get some idiots cycling along double breast or cycling three foot away from the kerb!
Old 04 January 2006, 02:24 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
Been a car driver i can now see what a problem cyclists are to motorists and you get some idiots cycling along double breast or cycling three foot away from the kerb!
I agree with that. I see how annoying it is when cyclists ride double breast, and cycle in the middle of the road, which is why I dont do it.

Scooby drivers get annoyed when they are all steriotypically considered boy racers (this annoys my dad greatly), so why tar all cyclists with the same brush? Be aware of what cyclists could do, but dont automatically think they are going to do something stupid!

There were two middle aged ladies in the car (brand new base spec fiesta), which is probably the worst combination! (most hypocrital comment ive ever made considering ive just been ranting about steriotyping! )

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 02:28 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

When i talked to my local council they said it is legal for anyone under 18 to ride on the pavement as long as they are not riding dangerously or without due care.

Adam
Ahh so you're under 18 then?
Old 04 January 2006, 02:30 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Indeed, as I said in the initial post!

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 02:33 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

There is only one way to beat the cyclist, and that is to drop a gear, hang back behind them as this makes them curious and feel that they are slowing up the traffic, then give it some revs and overtake them
Old 04 January 2006, 02:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Indeed, as I said in the initial post!

Adam

Damn - twice in 1 day!

<note to self, try reading ALL the post rather than just the first couple of sentences>
Old 04 January 2006, 02:37 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

There is only one way to beat the cyclist, and that is to drop a gear, hang back behind them as this makes them curious and feel that they are slowing up the traffic, then give it some revs and overtake them
Thats probably not the best way as it just intimidates the rider and then they slow down!

Adam
Old 04 January 2006, 02:39 PM
Reality
BANNED

There were two middle aged ladies in the car (brand new base spec fiesta), which is probably the worst combination! (most hypocrital comment ive ever made considering ive just been ranting about steriotyping! )
You learn fast .

My comment was a bit sexist - Assume every driver is trying to kill you and you'll survive longer .
Old 04 January 2006, 02:49 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Yes I'm generalising, but you don't need to pass a test to ride a bike on the road, and in general as a cyclist I'm appauled at the standard of riding on the roads, and not just by kids.
Years ago there used to be a test for cyclists by RoSPA - it wasn't official, but if we wanted to cycle to school we had to provide proof that we'd passed the test. But then, I suppose, if they brought in official tests for cyclists, then they'd have to have insurance .....
Old 04 January 2006, 02:51 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Thats probably not the best way as it just intimidates the rider and then they slow down!

Adam
Yep thats the intention and it makes the driver feel better

Dont forget to look in your rear view mirror and sarcastically smile at them
Old 04 January 2006, 03:41 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's not illegal to cycle two abreast, however annoying it may be for your as a motorist. It is also FAR safer to cycle well away from the kerb so that overtaking cars have to give a wide berth, and give the cyclist room.
IIRC the Highway Code, Roadcraft or some other driving manual, suggest that you give a cyclist as much room when overtaking as you would a car.

Please don't take the arrogant motorist attitude with cyclists as you'll end up killing somebody.
Old 04 January 2006, 09:13 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Riding my bike recently up a quiet road a woman motorist who quite clearly saw me reversed out of her drive right in front of me causing me to do an emergency stop. When I asked her what the bloody hell she was doing she jumped out of her car and started shouting and screaming at me as though it had been my fault ?

She went absolutely mental until I asked her if riding a bike on this road carried the death sentence. This seemed to get through to her as she just shut up and got back in her car.......

My worst scare recently was an old dear in a Micra who overtook me and then cut in front of me...the rear of her car only missed me by about half an inch cos I hit my brakes....really scary
Old 04 January 2006, 09:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

hit the b*stards before they hit you
Old 04 January 2006, 10:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Passed 11 cycles on my way home tonight - not a single one with lights on.
Old 04 January 2006, 10:49 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

and who would be at fault if you hit one??? the motorist yet again!

Quick Reply: Do people think they have priority over cyclists...