Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radioactive material - plumbers

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 03:13 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radioactive material - plumbers

I pulled up at a set of traffic lights last night behind a plumbers van. The details on the van indicated the company were a CORGI registered installer. There were two warning diamond shaped stickers on the van - one for compressed gas and another beside it that said radioactive with a small 8 under it.

Anyone know what is carried by plumbers / gas installers that is radioactive enough to warrant a warning sticker like this?

Just thought it odd - as its the first time I have seen it.

TT
Old 04 January 2006, 03:22 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Depleted uranium, it ***** up combi boilers. They put it in the water tank to guarantee a callout 12 months and 1 week after they fit your new boiler.
Old 04 January 2006, 03:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I pulled up at a set of traffic lights last night behind a plumbers van. The details on the van indicated the company were a CORGI registered installer. There were two warning diamond shaped stickers on the van - one for compressed gas and another beside it that said radioactive with a small 8 under it.

Anyone know what is carried by plumbers / gas installers that is radioactive enough to warrant a warning sticker like this?

Just thought it odd - as its the first time I have seen it.

TT
My Hazmat is pretty rusty but IIRC, you must only display the haz mat signs if you are actually carrying a controlled substance and you have enough of it to qualify for the regs. Displaying the signs when not carrying is an offence. In turn to display the signs you must be trained and have a hazmat license. I wonder how many vans I see with these stickers are truely legal?

Having said all that - Class 8 is corrosive, radioactive is class 7. In theory, if you are carrying multiple hazards it should just be an orange board, having 2 suggests it is 1 product with twin hazard. In this case it may have been something like compressed chlorine gas, although I though the toxcicty would have been the bigger threat.
Old 04 January 2006, 03:49 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

They dispose of asbestos that some of the old boilers flues can be made from, perhaps its that?
Old 04 January 2006, 04:22 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'd guess at something low level maybe for checking for leaks in water/gas piping etc.
Old 04 January 2006, 04:44 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably for Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) used (or meant to be used) for disinfecting water supply pipes and tanks.

NIck