oh cr@p.............

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 11:03 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh cr@p.............

I can't believe what I've just done.
Our window upstairs needs a bit of a pull to get it closed tight as the rubber seal seems a bit to big, anyways this has been like this since moving in nearly 3 years ago, I went upstairs to close the window before and I had to really pull it towards me, then I flew backwards with the handle still in my hand It has snapped clean off.
Anyways, they are double glazed, so can I just get a new handle fitted or a whole new window (I bloody hope not)
Please help as my hubby doesnt know yet, he's still at work til 12ish.
Old 18 January 2006, 11:11 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Why worry - if you can snap a handle off a window - well you know what I mean.
If the handle screw/bolted on then it can be replaced instead of the whole window.
Old 18 January 2006, 11:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

What's snapped? Has it snapped the screws off that held it to the window, or pulled them out?

Screwfix sell new window catches for uPVC windows, and also screws, but if it's snapped the screws off, you do have a problem, and if it's pulled them out, the holes will be too big now, so you'd need to fill the holes with uPVC adhesive (Screwfix again), then replace catch once it dries.

Alcazar

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...83168&id=72180 Also in Gold or Chrome.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...83086&id=16700
Old 18 January 2006, 11:23 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Yeah the bolt or screw is in half lol, one half still on the window unit and the other half in the handle, I have heard stories of a tiny thing happening to a double glazed window and the whole window needs replaced, if I can get a new handle I'm sorted, don't want a new window, we're moving out in the next couple of months, just can't believe I done it in the first place.
Old 18 January 2006, 11:33 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Should have it sorted, I've got an appointment for Friday morning for it to be repaired, we're actually in an army house, but certain things they will class as you damaging it so we would have to pay, so thats why I needed advice first, but someone will sort it on Friday, just need to explain to hubby next.
Old 18 January 2006, 11:48 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Julz1983
Should have it sorted, I've got an appointment for Friday morning for it to be repaired, we're actually in an army house, but certain things they will class as you damaging it so we would have to pay, so thats why I needed advice first, but someone will sort it on Friday, just need to explain to hubby next.
I think pulling the handle off in your hand counts as you damaging it!
Old 18 January 2006, 11:58 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're moving out in a couple of months, just Araldite the whole lot back in place Cost you a fiver for a tube, if that.
Old 18 January 2006, 03:00 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Put it back in place as best you can with no adhesive/screws etc. Then when hubby comes home and opens the window next - whoops - he broke it!

Nothing like a good, honest, open relationship I say!
Old 18 January 2006, 04:42 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

LOL @ mad dr
As for classed as us damaging it, well it wasn't as when I phoned the army repair service, all I said was i have a broken window, she then carried on to say is it your upstairs bedroom window, I replied with yes, she knew this as it was reported as faulty even before we moved in, that was 3 years ago and we knew nothing about it, wonder how many other faults there is with the house that are unknown to us.
My next door neighbour came round today to warn me that if we have no gas then don't think we have a faulty boiler, they did lastnight and had to wait til today for someone to come out and have a look, they then found out the box on the outside of the house had been switched off, the kids are back round causing problems, it's one thing making a noise etc but switching gas boxes off is dangerous and they think its a laugh.
Old 20 January 2006, 02:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Julz,

Just tell them it is fair wear and tear!

Les
Old 20 January 2006, 05:07 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

LOL, tw@ts never even turned up today to fix it, I phoned up and said I had an appointment for this morning and I had waited in all morning for them, she looked it up and it had been put down on their computer system but hadn't went through to the person that would have come to do the job, so now I have to wait til Monday I wouldn't mind but the past few nights have been really windy and it's only sitting on the catch so it's making strange noises through the night which have kept me awake and its bloody freezing, lastnight the wind was managing to blow the window open so it's driving me mad, looks like I'll have to wear a hat and scarf for bed