Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Describe the perfect Full English Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 11:55 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Describe the perfect Full English Breakfast

As it says, the perfect english (or Welsh,Scottish, Irish for that matter) !
Old 18 January 2006, 11:58 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sod the food, being woken up by ... erm... OK, I'll get my coat.
Old 18 January 2006, 11:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

generally one i dont have to cook meself and is edible...
Old 18 January 2006, 12:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toast with various jams and butter and jug of fresh orange

Bacon, Sausage, Eggs (poached and scrabbled), Hash Browns, beans, mushrooms! (missed them ), Plum tomatoes, fried bread, HP sauce (A MUST!)

Large pot of tea

and as said above cooked and eaten after been woken up by a beautiful woman

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 18 January 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I like them simple...smoked back bacon with nice crispy fat, not of this healthy trimmed rubbish, scrambled eggs, baked beans cooked to death, fried mushrooms.
The ultimate is a fried egg yolk on a pice of fried white bread, but it's heartburn city.
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

For me

nice cup of coffee

2 fried eggs, soft yolk
scrambled eggs
2 rashers bacon (or beer can if you're jamaican)
2 pork sausages
baked beans
2 hash browns
mushrooms
fried bread
Wash down with orange juice

toast and strawberry jam
complete with nice cup of tea.

Don't stay at hotels much these days but that's what I'd have. Can't be arsed to do it at home so coffee & shredded wheat it is
Old 18 January 2006, 12:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yes egg and fresh bagette/bread lightly toasted + good coffee during week .
..possibly bacon/sausage w/e.

Last edited by dpb; 18 January 2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:16 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

You have to start with decent ingredients in the first place, so that means proper sausages (not those ears, eyes and arseholes type from a supermarket), decent free range eggs, bacon that hasn't been hydrogenated out of all existence (again, non-supermarket) with some decent fresh bread. Decent mushrooms are a barstard to get hold of but these combined with the above plus some tomatoes should provide the backbone of a decent breakfast.

Eggs - I prefer mine poached as there is a tendency for too much fried food in an English breakfast and poach it properly, not in one of those stupid poaching trays. Break the eggs into lightly simmering water, take off the heat and leave for ten minutes using a timer if need be.

Sausages - I grill mine and start with these as they take the longest turning them over regularly to prevent burning or incineration.

Mushrooms - these can take some time but generally I don't like them too soggy so I add some chunky salt to 'seal' them and slow the cooking down.

Bacon - not too much fat but enough to add to the frying process. If you have decent quality bacon then you won't see any runny white stuff spill out from the meat - if any does, then you've bought crap. Use virgin olive oil but not extra virgin as this can taint the food too much although this depends on personal preference.

Tomatoes - fry these putting them on last as you don't want them soggy and the juices shouldn't overwhelm the bacon and mushrooms already in the pan.

Toast - self explanatory but with plenty of Lurpak (non-salted).

Whack the poached eggs onto the toast, line up the sausages alongside the bacon and put the mushrooms and tomatoes to one side of the plate whilst lightly dusting it all with coarse grain pepper.

You know when you've cooked a good one because afterwards you don't feel bloated unless you go overboard with the toast and marmalade afterwards. Should always be accompanied by tea.

Old 18 January 2006, 12:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pack of Bacon
Pack of Sausages
Tin of Beans (Heinz)

Rebuke from the Mrs for being a pig...

Old 18 January 2006, 12:20 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
You have to start with decent ingredients in the first place, so that means proper sausages (not those ears, eyes and arseholes type from a supermarket), decent free range eggs, bacon that hasn't been hydrogenated out of all existence (again, non-supermarket) with some decent fresh bread. Decent mushrooms are a barstard to get hold of but these combined with the above plus some tomatoes should provide the backbone of a decent breakfast.

Eggs - I prefer mine poached as there is a tendency for too much fried food in an English breakfast and poach it properly, not in one of those stupid poaching trays. Break the eggs into lightly simmering water, take off the heat and leave for ten minutes using a timer if need be.

Sausages - I grill mine and start with these as they take the longest turning them over regularly to prevent burning or incineration.

Mushrooms - these can take some time but generally I don't like them too soggy so I add some chunky salt to 'seal' them and slow the cooking down.

Bacon - not too much fat but enough to add to the frying process. If you have decent quality bacon then you won't see any runny white stuff spill out from the meat - if any does, then you've bought crap. Use virgin olive oil but not extra virgin as this can taint the food too much although this depends on personal preference.

Tomatoes - fry these putting them on last as you don't want them soggy and the juices shouldn't overwhelm the bacon and mushrooms already in the pan.

Whack the poached eggs onto the toast, line up the sausages alongside the bacon and put the mushrooms and tomatoes to one side of the plate whilst lightly dusting it all with coarse grain pepper.

You know when you've cooked a good one because afterwards you don't feel bloated unless you go overboard with the toast and marmalade afterwards. Should always be accompanied by tea.

......and when you finished farting about with all that lot, it's dinnertime
Old 18 January 2006, 12:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
......and when you finished farting about with all that lot, it's dinnertime
nah you just wake the misses up by prodding her in the back after you've delt with that you then tell her to get on with the brekkie and to wake you when it's ready
Old 18 January 2006, 12:24 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Nah. It only takes ten minutes. Admittedly, I only get the chance to do it once or twice per week but too many people use 'lack of time' as an excuse not to cook properly prepared food when it's perfectly feasible to knock something up that is fresh, tasty and not time consuming.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Oh dear. All this is just Little Chef stuff

What's happened to the grilled kippers and wonderful.....

Kedgeree

450g (1lb) Smoked Haddock Fillets
175g (6oz) Long Grain Rice
3 Eggs
50g (2oz) Butter
Fresh Parsley

Cook the rice until tender.
Drain well and rinse under cold water, then spread out to dry.
Boil the eggs until hard.
Place the haddock in a large pan with enough water to cover, simmer for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
Drain, skin and flake the haddock, removing any bones.
Chop one egg and quarter the other two.
Place the butter to a large frying pan, add the rice, haddock and chopped egg .
Cook moderate heat for about 5 minutes, until hot.
Place on to a warmed serving dish and garnish with chopped parsley and quartered eggs.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:27 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Woudl swop the Lurpak for Vitalite, and invest in some ****ake mushrooms, but aside from that, spot on.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:28 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

David, we're discussing the Full English Breakfast which is why no-one's mentioned alternatives such as kippers.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:29 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

what about the soda bread and potato bread, all part of an Ulster* fry.

*or occupied six counties fry if your a taig/teague** (see i can spell it right)

**no i am not a bigot, this is supposed to be funny, i know dai will get it
Old 18 January 2006, 12:32 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Oh dear. All this is just Little Chef stuff

What's happened to the grilled kippers and wonderful.....

Kedgeree

450g (1lb) Smoked Haddock Fillets
175g (6oz) Long Grain Rice
3 Eggs
50g (2oz) Butter
Fresh Parsley

Cook the rice until tender.
Drain well and rinse under cold water, then spread out to dry.
Boil the eggs until hard.
Place the haddock in a large pan with enough water to cover, simmer for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
Drain, skin and flake the haddock, removing any bones.
Chop one egg and quarter the other two.
Place the butter to a large frying pan, add the rice, haddock and chopped egg .
Cook moderate heat for about 5 minutes, until hot.
Place on to a warmed serving dish and garnish with chopped parsley and quartered eggs.
I was gonna say... Little Chef Olympic Brekkie... but have to say the above does sound rather tasty
Old 18 January 2006, 12:35 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

For me it's....
Start with grapefruit or orange juice.
Then a small bowl of cereal.
Then egg, bacon (2 rashers), beans, tomatoes, sausage, fried bread (assuming its nice and crisp, not all soggy with grease). No mushrooms or black pudding.
Followed by toast & marmalade, and a nice pot of tea.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

David, we're discussing the Full English Breakfast which is why no-one's mentioned alternatives such as kippers.

But I'd expect things like kippers/porridge/kedgeree to be offered for breaky at a posh English country hotel??

Anyway all this is just making me hungry!!

Just to lower the tone a bit... I used to take my lad to hockey on Sunday mornings. Club was right next to Tesco and I have to say that they did a pretty good breakfast with decent coffee at some silly price.
Old 18 January 2006, 01:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Black Pudding

Yum
Old 18 January 2006, 01:01 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Tesco's!

I might have a go at the kedgiree though.

Old 18 January 2006, 01:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Tesco's!

I might have a go at the kedgiree though.

I know, I know Bit of an admission...... AND I get to read News of the Screws which I am not allowed at home
Old 18 January 2006, 01:08 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Prefer my eggs scrambled but other than that (plus a bit of black pudding) all spot on, nice one
toast has to be thick and well done.

Also, nice to talk about one because I have about as much chance of having one as being bitten by a daffodil at the moment
Old 18 January 2006, 01:22 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

If you have kippers for breakfast tommorrow, they'll still be repeating on you Saturday afternoon. Bloody orrible things !
Old 18 January 2006, 01:29 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

After reading ^^, I'm starving now!!

On the odd occassion I have a cooked breakfast, it has to be...

Fried Egg,
Heinz Beans,
Mushrooms,
Hash browns,
Toast,
& tea.

Don't like sausages anymore, and I'm not overly keen on bacon..
Old 18 January 2006, 01:39 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Make your own here.
It makes a great desktop
Old 18 January 2006, 01:51 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I miss good cuts of back bacon so much!! In the states they only have the streaks of fat which has to be charcoaled before you can eat it.

A typical breakfast here at somehwere like Denny's is

Eggs
Bacon (streaky fat)
Canadian bacon (gammon steak)
Sausage strings (an attempt at sausages)
Hash Browns and lots of 'em!
Mushrooms
Toast or bread
Between three and five buttermilk pancakes served with maple syrup and butter
Several gallons of coffee

They don't know baked beans, they try to do something with ranch (kidney) beans, but not at breakfast.

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 18 January 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 18 January 2006, 02:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Does anyone get their oats breakfast time...?
Old 18 January 2006, 02:12 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Black Pudding

Yum
:salivate:
Old 18 January 2006, 02:51 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular