Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Delhi question.

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 04:53 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Delhi question.

I'm going to a site just outside Delhi with work this weekend, will there be booze available there, or is it dry like Gudjurat?
Old 18 January 2006, 04:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

AFAIK it's not dry - unless it is a holy day or national holiday like Gandhi's birthday.
Old 18 January 2006, 05:11 PM
DBMSCOOBY99
Scooby Regular

I was there in the summer. There's quite a few place's you can get alcohol. Best place is Connaught Place (the posh bit). There are pubs and night clubs and some really swanky hotels round that area. But it's a little bit more expensive. To find cheaper head off to the main bazaar (right opposite to New Dehli Station, If you get a chance head there, it's wild and very busy. There's a place called De Jem which has an interesting atmosphere, they have some nice curry's there to. You need to look up as you will only be able to find it if you see the sign down the wall.
Old 18 January 2006, 05:18 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Not dry but a bit different to just going to the pub !

Just come back from 2 mths in Dehli. Priya Complex at Basant Lok is recommended, quite a few bars there and good food places inc TGi Fridays, my fav is Max RPM.

Other than that most hotels have good bars although expensive (uk pub prices)...

If you can stick to veg food, I couldnt and had food poisoning twice and Dehli belli a few times, those who stuck on the veg were ok. For me it was a sheek kebab in a posh restaurant and chicken from a Dominoes Pizza, we were careful as well.

On arrival in Delhi I consulted a Doctor (£3) and got my malaria tablets (40p) although she said malaria isnt a problem in Delhi, additionally I asked her about innoculations and was told I didnt need any providing I was not travelling, although in the UK they wanted to innoculate me for everything but I hate injections !!!

Hope that helps a bit

Enjoy your trip
J
Old 19 January 2006, 12:53 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks

Wish I'd asked sooner, Icould have taken LL's advice re innoculations, my arms are still bruised where they shoved all the needles
Old 02 February 2006, 01:22 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Well, I've finished in India (for now), having seen the place first hand, I have to say I can't see where they get the idea that they are an emerging superpower from, I've never before met such a large group of consistently lazy, arrogant & downright rude people in all my life

Anyway I'm in Thailand now for a month, the people are great here it's just the humidity that gets you down
Old 08 February 2006, 08:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Well, I've finished in India (for now), having seen the place first hand, I have to say I can't see where they get the idea that they are an emerging superpower from, I've never before met such a large group of consistently lazy, arrogant & downright rude people in all my life

Anyway I'm in Thailand now for a month, the people are great here it's just the humidity that gets you down
Must say I find that a little offensive. To call the circa 1 billion people of India 'a large group of cons etc etc' is a sweeping statement if ever I've read one. There are those that do 15 hours heavy labour in 40+ temps just to earn £5 and those that run the biggest steel company in the world. Neither are lazy. For a third world country that has only had independance for 50ish years its not doing badly. Just look at similar countries in Africa to compare.

If you really want to see arrogant lazy people ( of all colours) you don't need to go so far, there are plenty here in the UK
Old 08 February 2006, 10:46 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Must say I find that a little offensive. To call the circa 1 billion people of India 'a large group of cons etc etc' is a sweeping statement if ever I've read one. There are those that do 15 hours heavy labour in 40+ temps just to earn £5 and those that run the biggest steel company in the world. Neither are lazy. For a third world country that has only had independance for 50ish years its not doing badly. Just look at similar countries in Africa to compare.

If you really want to see arrogant lazy people ( of all colours) you don't need to go so far, there are plenty here in the UK
Deep, totally agree. Some people are lucky to earn £1 a day. Go to Dubai and see how hard the Indian's work there. They get treated like ****e, especially those involved in the building trade.....and why, so they can earn more and work as hard as they can to give their families a better future back home.

Believe me I have seen some right lazy *******s here claiming every single benefit under the sun. So look nearer home and then think about your comments.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:12 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

My daughter in law is Indian - from Hyderabad. So I have been to India a couple of times now.

They certainly have a different attitude, BUT they are not lazy. It's a country of 1 billion. It's a democracy. They pay their way in the world. Agreed there are people in poverty, but it is not a basket case like much of Africa. I would call it a success story.
Old 12 February 2006, 10:03 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

In light of your understandable responses, I fell I must apologise & rationalise my statement somewhat.

The problem I think is with the caste system. The people who actually do the work are generally hard workers who are paid **** all and treated worse than dogs.
The people who have a bit of an education and are given a bit of power are the lazy arrogant gits. They appear to believe that the education they have has gives them all the knowledge they will ever need, and therefore it becomes impossible to deal with them using reason & discussion.
Unfortunately, whenever a western company is involved business-wise in India, they are the ones we have to deal/fight with and this has probably coloured my initial judgement.
Old 12 February 2006, 04:42 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
In light of your understandable responses, I fell I must apologise & rationalise my statement somewhat.

The problem I think is with the caste system. The people who actually do the work are generally hard workers who are paid **** all and treated worse than dogs.
The people who have a bit of an education and are given a bit of power are the lazy arrogant gits. They appear to believe that the education they have has gives them all the knowledge they will ever need, and therefore it becomes impossible to deal with them using reason & discussion.
Unfortunately, whenever a western company is involved business-wise in India, they are the ones we have to deal/fight with and this has probably coloured my initial judgement.
ChrisPDuk,

Thanks for your apologise and I can emphatise with your statement now. The caste system is a disgrace over there. We are branded as lower caste because of my surname....... I am an Accountant, my wife is a Quantity Surveyor, go figure!!