Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

rave review, Hardcore Euphoria @The Fridge 28/1/6

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 11:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool rave review, Hardcore Euphoria @The Fridge 28/1/6

I bought my first euphoria CD quite a while ago now. I still have one of the discs now as it goes, its scratched to hell and skips all over the place, but a few tracks still play, I am just fortunate enough for those to be my favourites.

As it turns out, I weren't the only one to do so, cos the Euphoria brand has gone from strength to strength with a long list of releases and sub genres such as Deep euphoria, Hard Euphoria, The best of Euphoric breakdown etc.

But with all these CDs getting shifted, sooner or later the people buying them would want to go out to a night with the same music. Necesscity being the mother or invention saw the Euphoria clubnight being born. This happened a few years back, but it was only up until recently that Hardcore Euphoria came about.

The first one went off last year, but I couldn't make that, however, when the lineup for the second one was released, I knew I had to be there. For once, it was a case of less is more (which is a rarity when it comes to Hardcore lineups), with the promoters relying on a shortened lineup, but picking DJs and MCs with a very strong following to make up for it.

Only th biggest headlined this event, but as well as that there was a distinct nod to the London way of doing things. As such, Darren Styles, Sharkey, Breezem Dougal and Mark Ashley were all on the flyer. As well as that, the MC lineup was just as forthcoming, with Storm and whizzkid turning up later on in the night, but until then, the rave was in the capable hands of ChitChat and RizlaDizla, both getting the main arena, peaktime sets they deserve.

But best of all, what really sold the rave to me was its location. Even though I dont like getting to and from the place, The Fridge is one of my favourite places to rave in the UK. It is an oasis of calm in a sea of aggro and I love it. Having been to The Fridge precious few times before, I knew the layout and just as well too, cos I turned up at about midnight, having spent far too much time in the pub. To make up for my slackness, I got straight on with what I was there for, the music. First up, Mark Ashley.

Mark was midway through his set when I pitched up, but despite missing the start, I knew I was in for a good opening set from his first tune, particularly when I didn't have a clue what it was.

Thats right, my penance for turning up late was no warm up at all and straight into the Freeform. With Chit Chat by his side and providing all the lyrical accompanyment needed for the set, the pair of them were deep into their 90 minutes and coming up with the goods in no uncertain terms.

Despite the relatively early hour, the darkness and obscurity of the tunes compelled me to dance and in no time at all I was well on the way. Freeform affects me in a unique way compared to other subgenres of Hardcore, infact its closer to Techno in that respect. I don't enjoy it cos I know what a tune is and can sing along to it, but its more of a case of getting into the music. Sometimes it can take quite a while, this time it took about a minute. Despite only recognising "Check this out" throughout the set.

Next up was a change of pace to say the least, with the departing Mark Ashlet being replaced with Breeze and the music adjusting itself accordingly. No more Freeform for a while, but Upfront Hardcore all the way. Whilst the DJ was settling in, a similar changeover was happening on the mic. However, this was one London MC taking over from another as RizlaDizla make his way to the stage and took over from ChitChat.

It was an unusual pairing to say the least, however,one thing that was not in question was its effectiveness. Breeze was in his element and pulling another calm, collected and polished set out of the record bag and Rizla was proving why people are saying his return to the mic was one of his better decisions.

The DJ and MC complimented each other, worked well together and got the crowd moving to say the least. Not many MCs can come from a two year break and return to form this quickly, but Rizla showed nothing but competence, professionalism and, of course, his trademark minimalism as he performed with one of the biggest DJs in the land and (correct me if I'm wrong) in front of one of the biggest crowds of his career.

Which it was rising to the occasion for the MC, it was business as usual for the DJ. Having seen Breeze play out not 24 hours before, there was some overlap in his tunage, but the opportunity to play for 90 minutes underlined his resourcefulness and as such, his set was filled with crackers including "Feel so real", "Cry" and my personal favourite "Dropzone", as well as remixes of "Nightmare", "Heaven in your arms" and "Dark like Vader".

With Breeze nearly finished, it was left to the one and only Dougal to take over from him. Not seen Dougal play out for a while now so I was interested in what he would come up with. With the main stage vacated by RizlaDizla and the rave still Whizzkidless, ChitChat did the decent thing and took over.

But if you think he was going to be a filler or stopgap of an MC then think again. Rizla and ChitChat are chalk and cheese when it comes to mic styles, but that just makes comparing the two and appreciating the contrasts all the more pleasurable. Whilst Rizla is less verbose than ChitChat, Tino has quickly developed his niche as an unashamed crowd hyper. With Dougal on an euphoric (handy that), upfront tip with regard to the music, ChitChat did what he does best and together they made the place go ballistic.

Starting off the set in the best possible way, namely playing my favourite tune of the moment "Tripod", things stayed on the same wavelength thereafter. The crowd wanted upfront and they got it in spadeloads as "21st century rush", "Crack *****" and "Tell me a story" rained down in quick succession.

In fact, the only thing that pulled me out of my own little bubble was the late arrival of MC Whizzkid. Graciously allowing ChitChat to wind up before taking over, Whizzkid had some ground to make up if he wanted to attone for being late.

Fortunatly, he was on top form from the moment he touched down in the place. Whilst Dougal stuck to his guns on the musical front, Whizzkid got to work, accompanying tunes like "How did I get here" and "Into the light" with a choice selection of his most popular lyrics including "I cant stop these tears", "A-team" and the ever popular "In the Zone".

Finally, as his set drew to a close, Dougal found the tune he needed to end his hour and a half, dropping "into the light" definitely got me going, as well as the seething mass of ravers around me.

After Dougal had vacated the decks, Styles took his place. Another DJ that I had the pleasure of seeing at work twice in 24 hours, I was confident I wouldn't get bored, not least becuase he had an extra half hour to play with.

Another reason to stay where I was, was the MC changeover which occured at the same time as the DJ. Storm was in the place and he was ready to go as the ravers were. Together, the place moved as one, with the DJ, MC and crowd following the music as a single entity.

Reading the crowd like the professional he is, Styles got stuch straight in and proceeded to play a set of alternation. Despite me instantly recognising "See the light", "Jealous", the remixes of "Pacific Sun", "Dark like Vader" and the "Awesome "Dropzone" (which I'm really feeling atm), there was surprisingly little of his set that I did recognise. Definitely got me moving though, with the rest of the crowd being in the same boat as me, while Styles worked his way through his set.

Storm was the third part of this equation, making it impossible for the crowd to ignore his efforts on the mic. Someone who seems to have limitless energy when it comes to his performances, despite the fact I'd personally seen him vacate the mic exactly 18 hours ago, he was still on form, commanding the stage presence the party crew have come to expect of him, as well as "Dark like Vader" and "Just Accept it" with regard to specific lyrics.

Finally, the last tune of the set was one of the modern classics and both the DJ and MC were determined to go out with a bang. As such, Styles supplied "Save me" for his final effort and Storm made sure it was well accompanied by voice scratching over its fade out.

For the final hour and a half, it was left to the London crew to do the decent thing and finish off the night. No messing about here either, with the rave having no more upfront left to offer, the party was going to end how it started (for me anyway), Freeform all the way.

Sharkey and MC Ethos stepped up for the last 90 minutes and were champing at the bit to get going. Ethos with a thirst that only an MC with an inequality of talent versus bookings can understand and Sharkz not least because with his last set of the night before he could get some sleep!

As well as that, the one and only Whizzkid was also on hand to make sure he put in the mic time he was booked for and Ethos was happy for him to come aboard.

Sharkey was in his own world at this point, with the music focussing his attention, as well as the crowd who were following his every move and loving every minute of it.

It was a classic Freeform set from Sharkz, with, once again, most of it being lost in a blur of raving. However, Amongst the blur, "See you on the other side", "Tripod", "Check this out" and Pumping religon" all stand out.

However, What really caught my ear was Ethos and Whizzkid's performance on the mic, with the two of them being total opposites when it comes to style and delivery, but both of them coming up with the goods when and where it mattered, specifically when Ethos dropped "Cruise Control", "H.A.R.D.C.O.R.E" and "Introduction, Education", whilst Whizzkid plumping for "pump Pump", "Streetlights" and "Elecktrik".

Things I liked:

Venue - I love going to the Fridge, but don't get to do so very often. That just makes it all the more enjoyable when I do get there. Seriously cool place to rave, specifically....

Aircon - I have been to The Fridge before where it was anything but. Not this time though, the aircon was full on and the place was nicely chilled throughout the night. Which was handy, because of ....

Soundsystem - Oh my word it was loud. Like, rattle your eyeballs loud. Crystal clear too, with lots of clarity and Gobs of bass. It was one of those systems that makes the music a pleasure to rave to.

Attendance - One of the busier nights I've been to at The Fridge, with more than enough ravers and party crew in the place to make the term "Nicely full" more than applicable.

London Crew - Specifically, the london MCs. Namely, ChitChat, Rizla and Ethos. The three of them were in the zone from start to finish and more than complimented the night. Nice one chaps.

Security - I've never had a problem with Fridge security and this was no exception. Didn't notice them at all until kicking out time tbh.

Production - Pyrotechnics, Lasers and full on lighting rig in the place. Standard fare for The Fridge, but still worth a mention.

Things I liked less:

Anyone else notice how quick the night went? Whoosh. Every set went like a flash and before I knew it, it was all over. Pity, but I was having a great time.

This was my first time at Hardcore Euphoria and had a fantastic night out. 90 minute sets, played over a powerful system, to an up for it crowd made for a seriously enjoyable evening.

Like I said, I cant believe how quickly the night flew by, but time does fly when you're having fun and I was, damn right I was. This was doubly surprising when I had seen the vast majority of the lineup not 24 hours before.

When an event stamps its own identity on somethig you've recently experienced that it leaves you with a lasting impression that outstrips the original then it must be doing something right.I can see myself going back to many more Hardcore Euphorias in the future and I suggest you do the same.
astraboy.
Old 06 February 2006, 11:54 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

I'm a speed reader. Cool review
Old 06 February 2006, 11:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

On a personal note I'd like to say Shouts to all the haters in the place! I'm never gonna stop. I got so many haters, i must be doing something right!

astraboy.
Old 06 February 2006, 11:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by _RIP_
I'm a speed reader. Cool review
Thank you
astraboy.
Old 06 February 2006, 11:58 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

I doubt anyone hates you AB. Whatever pumps your nads m8. I just wouldnt post any more pictures in here though
Old 06 February 2006, 11:59 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

i don't hate you AS
Old 07 February 2006, 12:06 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
Stuff them. Do whatever floats your boat.
Old 07 February 2006, 12:07 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Alas
Hi m8
Stuff them. Do whatever floats your boat.
unless 'stuffing them' is what floats his boat
Old 07 February 2006, 12:10 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Perhaps the gloves help in this situation!!