Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone ever just walked out of a job?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2006, 11:02 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever just walked out of a job?

Hi peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has ever just walked out of a job before, with a mortgage to pay.

To cut a long story short, i've come to the conclusion that not only am I the fuc*ing gopher in this place that gets all the ****ty jobs no other IT bod wants and a slack *** manager to boot who has a glass back. Add to that that I get more and more work piled on and am expected to teach people programs I have never used before (with a speech difficulties ffs) To be honest I just feel like taking this monitor and flinging it across the room and walking out?

I have recently been signed off with stress and to be honest I now feel ten times worse now than I did then.

Anyone done it and if so how did it feel.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:07 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Ah life working in IT eh

Dont walk out, if you want to change jobs then hand in your notice and try to leave on good terms. You'll need a reference from there for your next job remember.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:08 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can't beat them join them.

do as little as possible, don't walk, get sacked if anything - don't think you can claim benefit if you volutarily walk out.

the world is a weird place, the less you do at work the less you are expected to do (and of course the opposite). so start slacking, miss deadlines, get a bollockimg, tell them your working your *** off etc., make excuses, have days off sick, regular doctors/dentists appointments.

anyone doing the above at my place of employment gets the same treatment as the man who puts in 60 hours a week.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:09 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

just look for another job - regardless of how you leave that one you will have to pay your mortgage for 39 weeks before you get any help. If you have mortgage insurance it wont pay if you walk
Old 07 February 2006, 11:12 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I quit in September last year - felt a bit sh!tty at the time but don't regret it now.

My situation is probably a lot different though - I do quite a bit of work on the side and had plenty on, and was even turning stuff down - so walking out of a job I hated and starting up on my own was a bit of a no-brainer considering I had a lot of work on and had been offered a lot of work from other sources.

Crunch came when I got a letter for a discinplinary hearing for someone I knew nothing about - so decided working there wasn't worth the hassle and wrote back saying I wouldn't be returning. It wasn't abusive or anything, but I figured they wanted me out anyway (due to comments I made earlier at an appraisal) so saved them a job. Was supposed to work 6 weeks notice but they let me off with it and even paid me for them.

Felt rotten at the time but don't regret it now esp as I'm working from home and earning the same amount but in half the hours...
Old 07 February 2006, 11:12 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fling the monitor, fling the monitor...

or maybe not.

Told my boss to F*&* Off once when he kept loading work onto me - felt great at the time but had to wait 3 months to get a new job.

Alternative is to start doing IT consultancy work outside of work until it gets to the point that it costs you money going in to work. Then tell em that youy dont need them anymore and are going to have to let them go as your employer. That is what I did and havent looked back
Old 07 February 2006, 11:20 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

My misses has walked out of about 3 or 4 jobs since we've been together. Unfortunately they are mostly in pubs and restaurants and so becuase she leaves in a flurry of grief and abuse on both sides we can no longer go into these places. Saturday nights out are now a little limited!

I can't walk out in my job but me and the boss do have full scale war every now and then. Doesnt help because the boss is also my mum but by the same token I get all the **** jobs becuase I always give in and do them.

P.S. I owe you an email StueyB!
Old 07 February 2006, 11:38 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Don't walk out under any circumstances, the short term satisfaction will always become regret.

if you are really sick of it, hand in your notice, or quietly look for work.

You never know when you will come across people again, or need a reference (and I don't mean personal, I mean an Experian like reference when they check employment history) so never burn your bridges.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:44 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I'm close too! However, will get something else first, no point leaving myself unable to pay bills if search for new job takes it's time.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:46 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Stueyb
To cut a long story short, i've come to the conclusion that not only am I the fuc*ing gopher in this place that gets all the ****ty jobs no other IT bod wants and a slack *** manager to boot who has a glass back. Add to that that I get more and more work piled on and am expected to teach people programs I have never used before (with a speech difficulties ffs) To be honest I just feel like taking this monitor and flinging it across the room and walking out?
Erm, aren't you self-employed?
Old 07 February 2006, 11:46 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

lol @ Edd, theres always the old giffers pub Yeah, email me when you have 5 mins !

Now I am a bit calmer, let me explain. Over the past 2/3 years I've realised that although I like IT, I dont like doing 2nd line as I cant cope with BS clients. Im more at home in 3rd level. I love doing servers, routers, w2k3 etc playing with other high end kit.

Just last week I redid the entire comms room/DC whatever you want to call it by myself, commisioning about 6 servers I built from scratch and decommisioning 2 as well as cleaning up the place and installing several rack mount XP machines, on top of my normal workload, putting in at least an extra 10/15 hours, unpaid.

Then to top it the boss says "Why havent you closed all your calls" even though at his request I fixed up the comms room properly. FFS.

Also we have new high end apps (read 20-30K custom mod apps) that I am supposed to support, business critical but have no training whatsoever on it, and the boss is to cheap to buy support for it, or even show me how the sodding things work.

Just stuff like this pees me off as he doesnt like to get his hands dirty at all and makes my life bad.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:49 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Erm, aren't you self-employed?
Lol, I have sidelines ie ****, ebay and other "things", but I do have a steady job as well. Basically, I could walk out and the mortgage and such would get paid but god knows what I'd eat
Old 07 February 2006, 11:50 AM
Reality
BANNED

I once told my then HR manager she was a fcukwit for taking the **** out of my salary. She told me I couldn't talk to her like that. I told her to **** off.

She got my Boss in to sort me out - told him the same.

I kept my job, got a 2 grand payrise (current pay was 5.5k - it was a while ago) then left two months later.

Life was great before mortgages.

I'm with Kiwi on this nowadays.

ps It did feel great telling them all to **** off though .
Old 07 February 2006, 11:55 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I mate of mine walked when he missed the open button by the warehouse door and parked his forklift through it.
Old 07 February 2006, 11:57 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reality
(current pay was 5.5k - it was a while ago)
<psl> This was your monthly salary, of course? </psl>
Old 07 February 2006, 12:10 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
<psl> This was your monthly salary, of course? </psl>
- it was when the PSL adjusted average wage was a mere £87,000
Old 07 February 2006, 12:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Only ever done it once as a paperboy,,,, many moons ago

these days unless you are in a high demand job, you cant afford to do it,

lets face it, who,s would potentially employ somone that under pressure is going to walk...

because i work in a relativly small field, word soon gets around that you walked from a previous employer

Mart
Old 07 February 2006, 12:47 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Being a contractor, I just think of the money. However, at my current contrac, I watched a developer stand up one night, empty his draws, packed his bag, put his coat on, turn to us and said "***** this, Ive totally had enough of his **** software and useless managers".

He turned to his boss, called him a "Kunt". Walked out. Never to return.

What was funny was that he worked for a development company that was onsite installing thier bespoke software. As he did this, my boss, looked at the development companies boss, seeking an explanation.

Tremendous !!! Even a year later, we still talk about this.

I would say think about it, write down what you want to do, then come back an hour or so later, and re-read your plan.

Its easier to get a job, whilst you've got a job. I know when I recruit, people with jobs seem more desirable that ones that arent.

You are going to find slackers in everyjob, there are blokes that do nothing but pretend to do everything, managers that talk complete crap and steal your credits. Its called life.

Perhaps you should learn from this situation, realise what is happening, and make the situation work for you. Many a time Ive fed the office credit stealer with the wrong information, ideas, which he's spouted out and made to look a ****.

SBK
Old 07 February 2006, 01:10 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Being a contractor, I just think of the money. However, at my current contrac, I watched a developer stand up one night, empty his draws, packed his bag, put his coat on, turn to us and said "***** this, Ive totally had enough of his **** software and useless managers".

He turned to his boss, called him a "Kunt". Walked out. Never to return.
Haha that's fantastic!
Old 07 February 2006, 01:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I walked out on a job once. It was a complete sh@ty job anyway, but the hours they expected me to work was stupid. 8:30am - 8pm 4 nights a week, 8:30am - 5pm (Friday) 8:30 - 2pm (Saturday) and 8:30 - 5pm (Sunday). Did that for about 15 weeks, and was walking about like a zombie.
They'd threatened to sack me, and others if we didn't work when they wanted us to work. Was in the Job for 3 years, and lost contact with friends as I was hardly out on a night (Too knackered).
It came to a head when I gave 2 weeks notice that I wanted a weekend off to go to Blackpool with my mates. 3pm on the friday, the day before, they told me I was working. The total satisfaction of saying "**** this, **** you, and you can stick ya ******* job" to the boss was briliant.
The relief on Monday morning of not having to go in was unforgettable. Took me 3 months to get a new job, but as I didn't have a mortgage at the time, I didn't care.
Old 07 February 2006, 01:23 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
It came to a head when I gave 2 weeks notice that I wanted a weekend off to go to Blackpool with my mates. 3pm on the friday, the day before, they told me I was working. The total satisfaction of saying "**** this, **** you, and you can stick ya ******* job" to the boss was briliant.
Reminds me when a project manager phoned me up on a Friday night at 7pn and demanded that I back in at just to test some noddy link to S.A. I had just met the girl who I'm now engaged to, and we were on our way to a weekend in the Smoke in a posh hotel with theatre seats and restaurant reservations all sorted. Told him to get a grip and there was no chance at all of me coming back in, and he said "Listen - if I go down, I'm taking you with me!" Can you imagine? What a loon, probably the funniest thing I've ever heard in my career to date. I just laughed and hung up. He looked preety sheeping Mon morning - and nothing more was said. Needless to say, I didn't stay around much longer.
Old 07 February 2006, 01:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi peeps,

Just wondering if anyone has ever just walked out of a job before, with a mortgage to pay.

I have recently been signed off with stress and to be honest I now feel ten times worse now than I did then.

Anyone done it and if so how did it feel.
Chill, we all pretty much get to feel like packing it in at some stage.

Just walking out is not the answer, you will be seen as the problem.

Check your contract of employment to see just what you are supposed to be doing.

If you are to train is that part of your role ask when you will be put on a course on how to train people and on the subjects you will be teaching, do all of this in writing and copy HR or presonnel or whatever thay call themselves. Do this in a polite and constructive way.

Do not loose your rag keep a diary of all problems, you may have a case for constructive dismissal.

Don't tlet the w@nkers wear you down!
Old 07 February 2006, 01:26 PM
scoobie-shieldy
Scooby Regular

i walked out of a job i was a manager at the time, making **** loads for the owner and getting no kudos for it, so in the end i went in, opened the shop set it up, rang the owner told him u got 20mins to get your fat lazy **** to the shop, as im about to walk out and leave it as is. he came down as soon as the phone was put back on the hook...

he had the nerve too offer me a 25% pay rise with the same condition, now it wasnt the money it was the fact i was getting half a day of a week 6.5/7 and that half day i used for sodding paperwork..... started at 6am (fist in) left at 7pm (last out) and i was starting too feel emotionally drained not spending time with the family at all....

i just said bollox to him, tossed him the keys......... and this part was well wierd..... soon as i stepped over the door way at 8am... it felt like the whole world had been lifted of my shoulders...... went home with a spring in my step.... got home at 9am,... told the missus (2hrs of verbal abuse couldnt damper my euphoria) by 12pm i was in a new job, better hours and better money:P
Old 07 February 2006, 01:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobie-shieldy
..... started at 6am (fist in) left at 7pm (last out) and i was starting too feel emotionally drained not spending time with the family at all....
'6am fist in' - sounds like one tough job i would have asked for a raise or at least some KY Jelly!
Old 07 February 2006, 02:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Not quite the same, but on things not to say at work, we did have to get a South African contractor out of the habit of saying "It's no train smash" when we were providing consultancy to Network Rail.
Old 07 February 2006, 04:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Tony Blair is about to.
Old 07 February 2006, 05:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Just remebered yes i did walk once

we had a production controller who used to release impounded stock and let it be shipped as he was always saying his mamnager told him to do it,

this went on for a few months, untill one day i,d had enough,,,

i stood up put my coat on and said, "i,m off, ive had enough, if you think you can protect the customer by releasing defective stock then you can tel him wht when it goes **** up, and you can tell your manager that if he wants the new passwords to unimpound the stock, he can ask my boss for them."

with that i walked,

i made it as far as the canteen where this guy who was blustering and flustering followed me, and managed to get me to calm down,

suffice to say i came back, and he stopped releasing the impounded stock...

to this day, i dont know what made me do it or why, but it certainly made for some interesting gossip for a few days!!

Mart
Old 07 February 2006, 05:48 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I walked out of a crappy media sales job when I was young, got paid at lunch time on a Friday so that was that, paying in advance for the afternoon was a stupid idea!

I used to feel like walking out of my previous job most days, but instead I just slacked off! If you're unhappy, do something positive, try for other jobs, it's always preferable to go straight to another job, for reference and CV issues at least.

If you are stuck there, try to get things changed, or if not take heart knowing it is very hard to sack an employee!!!!!
Old 07 February 2006, 06:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i have had 2 people walk out on me

one was the most lazy bum ever, and spat his dummy out when i had to tell him off (for being lazy ffs)

his dad rang me up (21 year old lad BTW) asking me why i had sacked him and i explained that he had walked out and what i had said to him
his dad called him a "little ****" and told me he would "bloody strangle him" when he found him made it all worthwhile IMO
the ****er walked out the day before i was going on holiday knowing i would be understaffed "have a nice holiday" were his last words

i had more then the last laugh with him, his parents made him wash the uniform and bring it back PMSL

the other lad was arguing with another staff member and waited until i was out for some cinimea tickets, and walked out, i suspected he was going to walk out, i had had a few words with him the previous day asking him to do the right thing if he was wanting to leave and give me a bit of notice.

he regretted it a few months down the line when he rang me back up and he was told to **** right off
nobody else would employ him scince and he has had to join the TA, im told he is now some where in iraq?? but this came as a text message on new years eve to the lad he was argueing with pmsl
Old 08 February 2006, 11:47 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Sounds like they are constructively trying to dismiss you. Just do the bare minimum. Don't let the barstewards grind you down.
Yve

Quick Reply: Anyone ever just walked out of a job?