Any scuba divers on SN ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 10:53 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any scuba divers on SN ?

Morning all,

just looking at booking a week to Larnaca, Cyprus to dive in the Zenobia Wreck. Anyone been?

Also what is Larnaca like? Never been the greatest fan of cyprus but it is pretty close & cheap to get to.

Where else to the SN divers go?

chop
Old 08 February 2006, 11:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes PADI open water qualified.

Dived in the Maldives and at Stoney Cove.

Not dived since i got my licence in 2003 - This is bad and i wish that i had and will do something about it this year with any luck.
Old 08 February 2006, 11:38 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.
Yeah I spent a very happy week diving the Zenobia.
Book your diving through Ian McMurray's Octopus Diving Centre.

http://www.octopus-diving.com/

Ian is THE authority on the Zenobia and is the man called in by the authorities for any rescue or body retrieval required. I think he is also the only British operator in Larnaca as well. He is also very entertaining and is full of stories and anecdotes. Most importantly he is very professional.
If you like wreck diving, then it is absolutely awesome. The water is very clear and the size of the thing is just frightening. It's an amazing view when you stand on one of the props and look upwards. You can swim in safety through the hold that runs the length of the ship, exploring the trucks, and also the bridge and cafeteria.
The cabins are something else though. It's easy to get lulled into feeling perfectly safe swimming down brightly lit corridors with all the overhead portholes but you only have to just touch the cabin construction to reduce it to dust and get zero visibility. This is how people get lost and ultimately die on it. We were allowed to do it but only after Ian was happy with our planning, qualifications and use of lines.
It can be dived in safety at all experience levels. You get a great view just snorkeling. IIRC it is just 15m or so to starboard side of the ship and 42m to the seabed. We did dive a few other sites but nothing noteworthy. We stayed at a decent hotel in Larnaca that was arranged through the dive centre and it was ok to be honest. Plenty of bars and restaurants at night. It isn't the place I would go to for a holiday in the sun but for a diving holiday it is a must do in my book.

HTH - Darren
Old 08 February 2006, 12:15 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Love it...

Dived in Lakeside (ha! - great place to learn), Ibiza, Maldive Islands, Red Sea, India and have a holiday house on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef (not literally of course) in Queensland which allows me the chance to dive the many different places on the reef. Although while it;s fantastic diving (in the out of the way places) nothing has beaten the Maldive Islands for the ultimate. But with family in Oz, makes more sense to have a house there than the Maldives!
Old 08 February 2006, 01:06 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
.................Also what is Larnaca like? Never been the greatest fan of cyprus but it is pretty close & cheap to get to.
Larnaca and Limassol are dumps - Paphos is ok or head north
Old 08 February 2006, 01:45 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Taff107
Larnaca and Limassol are dumps - Paphos is ok or head north
I would agree with Larnaca and Nicosia being dumps but Limassol ain't that bad

Paphos and Aya Napa are the places to go but no idea about wreck diving there.
Old 08 February 2006, 01:47 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Daz34
Hi mate.
Yeah I spent a very happy week diving the Zenobia.
Book your diving through Ian McMurray's Octopus Diving Centre.

http://www.octopus-diving.com/

Ian is THE authority on the Zenobia and is the man called in by the authorities for any rescue or body retrieval required. I think he is also the only British operator in Larnaca as well. He is also very entertaining and is full of stories and anecdotes. Most importantly he is very professional.
If you like wreck diving, then it is absolutely awesome. The water is very clear and the size of the thing is just frightening. It's an amazing view when you stand on one of the props and look upwards. You can swim in safety through the hold that runs the length of the ship, exploring the trucks, and also the bridge and cafeteria.
The cabins are something else though. It's easy to get lulled into feeling perfectly safe swimming down brightly lit corridors with all the overhead portholes but you only have to just touch the cabin construction to reduce it to dust and get zero visibility. This is how people get lost and ultimately die on it. We were allowed to do it but only after Ian was happy with our planning, qualifications and use of lines.
It can be dived in safety at all experience levels. You get a great view just snorkeling. IIRC it is just 15m or so to starboard side of the ship and 42m to the seabed. We did dive a few other sites but nothing noteworthy. We stayed at a decent hotel in Larnaca that was arranged through the dive centre and it was ok to be honest. Plenty of bars and restaurants at night. It isn't the place I would go to for a holiday in the sun but for a diving holiday it is a must do in my book.

HTH - Darren
Top man

I googled larnaca before and found Octopus and was pretty impressed wth their site - will definately use them.

Don't particularly fancy dying in a ship but as you say it really is a must do with wreck diving to get right in and have a look.

Thanks a lot for other information think that has just sealed my decision.

chop