Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 08:07 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private roads

House hunting at the mo'

There's a stunning house we've seen but it's on a private road- 5 houses in all

What's the score with regard to private roads- who pays for the upkeep - cos the road itself is in a very bad state- think of the scoob

What about the sewers, etc

insurance?

Any guidance gratefully received and you can come round for the house-warming as well

Cheers

Trevor
Old 22 February 2006, 08:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

when we lived in our flat, it had no maintenace charges, but there was an agreement in the lease, that any repairs to the exterior of the estate, and the walling was to be shared by the houses/ flats on the develpment, so it worked out quite well.

From your point of view, you need to find out from a solicitor, or land registry otherwise you or the others may be liable for the repairs or be laible for any third party injurys.

From a legal pov there are no shuch things as private or unmaned roads, they still nick your for 80mph burnouts no helmet etc

Mart
Old 23 February 2006, 11:59 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Would have thought it will be shared by the houses on the road. Will specify exactly in the deeds though, why not ask the vendor?

They could be moving because they are due to pay 10k towards the road....lol
Old 23 February 2006, 12:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
From a legal pov there are no shuch things as private or unmaned roads, they still nick your for 80mph burnouts no helmet etc

Mart
I think what is being referred to is what is commonly known as an unadopted road. This has some useful imformation.

A truely private road is one that is on land that you own, part of the deeds to your house and you can do burnouts with no helmets and 70mph plus on those with impunity
Old 23 February 2006, 12:18 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I think what is being referred to is what is commonly known as an unadopted road. This has some useful imformation.

A truely private road is one that is on land that you own, part of the deeds to your house and you can do burnouts with no helmets and 70mph plus on those with impunity
The pics on that website are exactly what it looks like- the road outside the house that is!!

It is quite worrying i shall enquire more then i think-

thanks for that though it is more unadopted than private
Old 23 February 2006, 12:42 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Insurance is no problem.

You will find that most houses have a private sewer beofre it meets the public sewer, and this could be some distance away. Repairs to private sewers are usually covered by your building insurance, and shared between all those using the part of the sewer affected.

Private road it should say in the deeds who is responsible for the upkeep. Often if it is shared between the residents there will be a reident association to agree on what to do and who pays. As a warning some people like roads with poholes etc as it slows people on their scoobys!
Old 23 February 2006, 12:45 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
As a warning some people like roads with poholes etc as it slows people on their scoobys!

i was a bit worried when i first drove down there - prodrive removing holes in parts!