Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone watching??

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 08:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone watching??

The apprentice at 9?? and that fly on the wall doccu thing following?

both look like entertaining viewing

Mart
Old 22 February 2006, 09:26 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

i am

first thoughts..well early days, but the hr manager that was laid off from rover is is a PITA

and the smooth..streetwise asian guy..he loves himslef dosent he??
Old 22 February 2006, 09:56 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I love the bit where they are arguing to stay in - if I was Sugar I'd fire all three of them!
Old 22 February 2006, 10:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

curly hair woman that crys/screams.....please let her be next!!!

followed by slick asian bloke (who goes into AS board room without a tie on???)
Old 22 February 2006, 10:35 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
curly hair woman that crys/screams.....please let her be next!!!

followed by slick asian bloke (who goes into AS board room without a tie on???)
Agree with both, although that woman should be shot.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Agreed,
the Smarmy Asian, his cards marked,

the MG hr bird, she wont make it too shouty screamy.

Ben i thought was ok, but too by the book...

I,d have bought or hired a cheap juicer and done some smoothies on the side

Mart
Old 22 February 2006, 10:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I like Alans comment, when he said "dont dig yourself into a bigger hole, when the girl was trying to explain about the fruit"

Even i would ahve kept my mouth shut on that one

Mart
Old 22 February 2006, 10:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Yes, his next point of selling sub standard fruit to the general public was going to be stronger than his initial point of 'free fruit flirting'.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Yes, his next point of selling sub standard fruit to the general public was going to be stronger than his initial point of 'free fruit flirting'.

Those two candidates make a rotten pair.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Those two candidates make a rotten pair.
Or pear.
Old 23 February 2006, 09:12 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Top comedy - shows the women didnt have much of a clue - they might as well have spent £50 on red lipstick and gone around giving blow jobs all day to raise the money. ( Apart from the curly haired one, who was dead against them using sex to sell - probably because she was a bit of a boot, but fair play to her for having the guts to say it ! ).

At least the blokes did something sustainable - they could have done the same thing every day that week, rather than the women who wouldnt have been able to get free fruit every day, and wouldnt have many customers after selling them crap on the first day.

I was quite happy the bloke got voted off though as he was pretty wet - you could see him almost blubbing when Sugar fired him - bet he hasnt been that upset since he didnt make the rowing team at Oxbridge.

Smarmy asian I reckon is only there for the TV value - he's just like the smarmy bloke ( same haircut ) in the last series who got right to the end and was so far up his own ****.

What I dont get though...

I can understand some of the people on there giving up their jobs working for someone else ( probably on half the money if that that Sugar is paying ), but the ones who reckon they are 'entrepreneurs' and have their own successful companies - why the hell would they give that up to work for someone else for £100K a year ??? if they are that good they could earn plenty themselves, and not have to work for someone else.

The one thing I have found is that once you work for yourself, the thought of working for someone else again ( no matter what the money is like ) is about as much fun as sticking forks in your nads.
Old 23 February 2006, 11:42 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

The issue of why you would want to work for Sugar after having your own successful businesses came up on the last series especially with Paul, who claimed to have made millions in Property. These guys and gals better be ready with decent answers to this question as Paul was totally caught out by it !!

But it also makes me wonder how manufactured this program is. I love it to be honest but just wonder how real it is.
Old 23 February 2006, 11:57 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Lots of playing up to the camera- no doubt about it
Old 23 February 2006, 12:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Sugar knows he's making a show....in the real world he may well have employed the bloke he sacked.....and would have his driver run over the muppet that slouches and cant find a tie............but its good TV!

and NO ONE really making money is going to quit and work for him on 100K

if your an employee on anything around 100 then maybe you would if you felt working for him was better (although not sure why you would if you had worked your way to 100k elsewhere?)....anyone on less than £50k prob thinks its jackpot time - but anyone with their own firm on more than £70k ish is NOT going to quit and work as an employee for 100k..........no chance, and if your working for yourself on more than 100k you would cut of your arm before finding yourself a boss to suck up to!

(funny they stick them in that monster house to give them a taste of the high life.......£100k pa dont get you that houses garage!)
Old 23 February 2006, 12:15 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I remember that Paul ( the smarmy one ??? ) being questioned about his money - he ummed and ahhed and eventually said he had a portfolio that was worth 'somewhere near a million' - which basically tranlsates as 'the bank still own 99% of it, each property is secured on one of the others, so as long as nothing goes wrong I can sell them all in 20 years, but at the moment I havent got two pennies to rub together'.

I agree that a lot of it probably is done to make good TV though, I'm sure some of the contestants are only chosen because they fit into the stereotypes the producers want 'smarmy young bloke who loves himself' 'dizzy blonde who shows her **** off' 'old guy who's getting a bit desperate' 'miserable middle aged woman who argues with everyone' and so on.

I'm not really sure what Sugar gets out of it though, apart from being able to abuse people on there and get his mug on TV - it doesnt make me want to rush out and buy Amstrad stuff, and I'm sure he has his own HR department that handle all the hiring and firing.

Does anyone know if the bloke who won last year is still working there ?
Old 23 February 2006, 12:21 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

missed alot of the apprentice one but the married couple with the double glazing company was real car crash tv.
Old 23 February 2006, 12:24 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The narrator said they had put them in the house 'to give them a taste of the lifestyle they could expect if they won' - erm.... the house 2 doors down was for sale for £45 Million ! think they'd need to earn a bit more than £100K a year to afford that.

The other thing with the money is once over the threshold you lose 40% in tax straight away, so the difference between earning say £50K working for yourself or £100K working twice as many hours for some ar5ehole isnt generally enough to convince you. Plus, work harder for someone else and you dont get paid any more - work harder for yourself and you get the benefits.
Old 23 February 2006, 01:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What i cant understand is these are supposed to be cutting edge Entrep (sod it cant spell it), why were they all pratting about like yts trainee,s??

given there diverse backgrounds, you,d have thought that they could have come up with a decent strategy to get the stuff going..

if AS wanted to be arsey, he could have denied the girls the win on the grounds that they didnt pay for there goods.

If it was based on a purely money making excersise, then even old Al himself i reckon would have taken the freeby stuff and sold it on.

they did nothing illegal or immoral, they just exploited an opening.

As for the earlier comment about who enters AS's boardrom without a tie, Richard Branson every time.

The thing i cant understand, is AS is a leader, not a manager, Again RB is a leader not a manager, Leaders dont want managers, they want people who share there vision, and will commit 100% they dont want other leaders on the team, as it creates conflict, and potential rivalry.

Yet these budding hopefulls all want to be leaders, havnt they done some research into what AS expects and his Leading style??. If as a couple claim they are ent?? (sp) as the others have said then why work for someone else?

Mart
Old 23 February 2006, 01:07 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
I remember that Paul ( the smarmy one ??? ) being questioned about his money - he ummed and ahhed and eventually said he had a portfolio that was worth 'somewhere near a million' - which basically tranlsates as 'the bank still own 99% of it, each property is secured on one of the others, so as long as nothing goes wrong I can sell them all in 20 years, but at the moment I havent got two pennies to rub together'.

I agree that a lot of it probably is done to make good TV though, I'm sure some of the contestants are only chosen because they fit into the stereotypes the producers want 'smarmy young bloke who loves himself' 'dizzy blonde who shows her **** off' 'old guy who's getting a bit desperate' 'miserable middle aged woman who argues with everyone' and so on.

I'm not really sure what Sugar gets out of it though, apart from being able to abuse people on there and get his mug on TV - it doesnt make me want to rush out and buy Amstrad stuff, and I'm sure he has his own HR department that handle all the hiring and firing.

Does anyone know if the bloke who won last year is still working there ?
Yes he is, his contract has been extended for another year (blimey not daft is old AS is he)

there is a follow up proggy this week.

mart
Old 23 February 2006, 01:10 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Its Hells Kitchen for business isn't it?

Only caught the end of last nights show, seemed quite interesting.
Wonder how different the three 'axe-ees' would have been if brought in individually...
Old 23 February 2006, 01:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
As for the earlier comment about who enters AS's boardrom without a tie, Richard Branson every time.

Mart

lol...maybe!

When i set up my own firm i binned all my old ties as i hated wearing them....so i wear a suit and no tie (just like smary bloke)......i make a lot more than AS is offering the winner BUT.....if i was going to see him in his boardroom.............i'm buying a tie on the way (when i own an airline i may not bother)
Old 23 February 2006, 01:53 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

@ The Armstrongs

the Apprentice too boring

Last edited by little'un; 23 February 2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 23 February 2006, 01:58 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
lol...maybe!

When i set up my own firm i binned all my old ties as i hated wearing them....so i wear a suit and no tie (just like smary bloke)......i make a lot more than AS is offering the winner BUT.....if i was going to see him in his boardroom.............i'm buying a tie on the way (when i own an airline i may not bother)

if i was going into a meeting with him unless i was on an equal footing, then i would wear a tie.

if i was stonking rich (bill gates) then it would be whatever i,m wearing, and if you dont like it, theres the door

Mart
Old 23 February 2006, 02:05 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Agree with both, although that woman should be shot.
ohh yes !!

Big thing in the local paper about her coming from Leamington (my home town) - didnt mention that she acts like an excitable child and is an embarrasment.

Hope she goes soon.