Career / job dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 12:36 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Career / job dilema

Hi all,

Im wrestling with my own brain at the moment. Ive just got back from 2 weeks holiday and got back to my job.

To put you in the picture I moved from an IT tech support type job in November to an IT sales job........quite a big step, but I decided to go for it - nothing to lose everything to gain type attitude(I wanted to get out of support)

Anyway - Ive got back here this week and am trying to put my feelings down to being "still in holiday mode or whatever" but I cant help thinking perhaps its more deep rooted.

I just dont seem to be able to face doing my job - I have phone times to meet(daily call targets etc) and at the moment I just cant see how Im ever going to make them and am seriously thinking of handing in the towel and even considering going back to my old job(if I can) or another techie job..................

Am I just being an idiot, do I need to get over my holiday(not dwelling on it I just think the time away has made me realise what this job is really like!)Should I tackle this head on an get on with it? Or go back to what I know?!

Very confused..................I feel like going to lunch and just not coming back!

Andy
Old 07 March 2006, 12:38 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

The type of sales job you seem to have now requires pretty hard selling. You need to have thick skin to do that sort of thing. Change your job mate!
Old 07 March 2006, 12:42 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get back into it, give it a few weeks then see how you feel.

After or just before a holiday isn't a good time to analyse your job!
Old 07 March 2006, 12:54 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

I know it is poor time to analyse - in all fairness I was doing quite well(for a newer member of staff) before I left my holiday.

Perhaps this is a case of tackle it with a bit more gusto, or just wimp out and go "I cant do it" and go else where to a hide in the corner with a server job. I dont want to do that if I can avoid it......
Old 07 March 2006, 01:02 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was in a similar situation back in November. I was in car sales (I was the honest nice type) and went on holiday. Couldn't get back into it after I returned and had a rubbish December. I had a good January and then handed in my notice. I made the decision to use my degree and try to find a job in engineering. Still looking and probably going to go offshore.

I feel better for it but am starting to get bored sending off CVs and applications and waiting for a phone call or letter.

ewan
Old 07 March 2006, 01:33 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

I dont want to be out of a job! At the same time I want to feel Im doing right by myself in what ever I do - even if it means pay cut, back to old job etc etc! I need to be comfortable in what I do rather than anxious and on edge which is what I seem to be at the moment..........