Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

petrol / more eco spin!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 09:07 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petrol / more eco spin!!

It would appear that once again the powers that be, are not giving us the full picture,

How many times do we hear we must find alternatives to Petrol, as its damaging the environment, and the punitive taxes are so we move away from private car use and limit the emmisions into the environment.

What would you say if you could make a 5% change instantly, thats quite a big change when you consider its for virtually doing nothing.

And just to make it more interesting, its allready happened!!!!!, yet no crowing from hmg, no reduction in tax due to reduced emmisions...

Now that your interested, i,ll explain.

I recieved one of the trade papers i subscribe to yesterday, whilst browsing it this morning i came across an article on reduction of emmisions in the USA regarding petrol. and it explained that Brazil is using bioethanol in its vehicles to reduce emissions, by upto 5%.

Then the interesting bit...

The article then went on to add that Tesco,s are allready using a blend of petrol in the uk that contains 5% bioethanol at its pumps,and that cars can run upto 10% bioethanol before any modifications are required?

You would have thought that everyone would be happy with this sort of reduction??

how long before the old eco argument/ taxation spin runs out of steam?

Mart
Old 08 March 2006, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Taxation is at the root of it Mart.

Les
Old 08 March 2006, 11:36 AM
oik
BANNED

Originally Posted by mart360
It would appear that once again the powers that be, are not giving us the full picture,

How many times do we hear we must find alternatives to Petrol, as its damaging the environment, and the punitive taxes are so we move away from private car use and limit the emmisions into the environment.

What would you say if you could make a 5% change instantly, thats quite a big change when you consider its for virtually doing nothing.

And just to make it more interesting, its allready happened!!!!!, yet no crowing from hmg, no reduction in tax due to reduced emmisions...

Now that your interested, i,ll explain.

I recieved one of the trade papers i subscribe to yesterday, whilst browsing it this morning i came across an article on reduction of emmisions in the USA regarding petrol. and it explained that Brazil is using bioethanol in its vehicles to reduce emissions, by upto 5%.

Then the interesting bit...

The article then went on to add that Tesco,s are allready using a blend of petrol in the uk that contains 5% bioethanol at its pumps,and that cars can run upto 10% bioethanol before any modifications are required?

You would have thought that everyone would be happy with this sort of reduction??

how long before the old eco argument/ taxation spin runs out of steam?

Mart
Good effort!

C-

Old 08 March 2006, 11:37 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oik
Good effort!

C-

yea, and you know where you can stick it !!!!

anyway havnt you got work to do!!

Mart
Old 08 March 2006, 11:40 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Does Brazil have its own vehicles?

Old 08 March 2006, 12:34 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mart this was discussed on here a few months ago and the scooby **** brigade had decreed that it would be detremental to a scooby to be run on anything more than 5% biowhateveritscalled.

PSLewis could explain it all better just like he did the oil change the other day
Old 08 March 2006, 12:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Mart this was discussed on here a few months ago and the scooby **** brigade had decreed that it would be detremental to a scooby to be run on anything more than 5% biowhateveritscalled.

PSLewis could explain it all better just like he did the oil change the other day

LOL, I mentioned it a few months back with it being harmful.

Can't for the life of me remeber what crap I typed though
Old 08 March 2006, 01:05 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

There was a very interesting article in one of the Sunday papers about this a few weeks back. Basically arguing the same point. As performance car owners, we should be pushing for Bioethanol - it may not be as efficient as petrol, but it gives more power and torque and it's carbon neutral (if such things matter to you). I suspect that as Les says, taxation and the small matter of the oil companies may have something to do with this. That said, Richard Branson is reported to have a sunk a small fortune into a Bioethanol company - and he is normally one smart investor....
Old 08 March 2006, 01:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I wasnt looking at it from the saftey/ engine point of view, it was the usual eco bull being peddled yet reductions are made but overlooked when it suits them

Mart
Old 08 March 2006, 01:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

...how about LPG?

Cheaper, more cleaner blah blah...less of it about, will run out sooner, costs a small fortune to convert etc
Old 08 March 2006, 02:47 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Lets face it, whatever the fuel whether it be petrol, electricity or water, it will never get any cheaper!

If were running on water, we will just be charged for using the roads, the public will never win.

James
Old 08 March 2006, 03:12 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Biofuel isn't necessarily carbon neutral though. Yes it's grown in a field, sucks up CO2 and dumps out oxygen but it still has to be farmed and processed to create a usable fuel which all 'costs' CO2.

You should also probably consider the fact that oil and coal was originally a tree or a bush several million years ago and obviously did the same job, only without all of the intensive farming and processing required. I'm sure that argument has some really big holes in it but nothing you wouldn't be able to confuse a politician about

The important thing is oil will eventually run out, biofuels have to be the way forward at the moment.