Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flaming police and road accident investigators

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 07:33 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Flaming police and road accident investigators

A couple of people have a shunt on the motorway and the whole bleeding thing is closed for hours on end. Fine by me to close it temporarily in order to clear up wreckage and attend to the casualties but I don't like the endless amount of "investigation" that goes on afterwards, sometimes all day. Even when it turns out nobody is hurt.

I'm sure a not so long ago there was much more of an attitude of just clearing the lanes and getting people moving. But now they just don't seem bothered even if hundereds of people are trapped between junctions with no way on or off. It's bloody chaos on the roads round me. You can just see plod in the distance wandering around casual as you like looking at bits and pieces on the road.

Then the feckin' rubberneckers seem to block the thing going the other way too just to really ice the cake so to speak.

I'm sure it must be to do with the nambypamby nanny state mentality of finding someone to blame and suing for everything.

If someone was driving like a complete dick and deserves prosecuting for the accident surely they'll have caught it all on one of the cctv cameras that seem to be every few miles along motorways. If not then I'd probably rather they got away with it than my whole bloody day/night is ruined sat in a jam.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

bad day sir ???

only jesting...frustrating isnt it
Old 08 March 2006, 07:38 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

In germany they just block off the immediate lanes to the accident and the others drivers get to use.

Once a truck tipped over on the autobahn taking all off the lanes apart from the hard shoulder and as soon as the man was in the ambulance the police let everyone go.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very well to moan about it when it's not your family involved... but i suspect you'd want someone to blame if they were in some way involved.....

They only normally go to such extremes of investigation when they think that there is a life risk..... ie, someone may die......
Old 08 March 2006, 07:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Poliice State. Power Trip. Overtime.

It's all for your own safety sir.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's the blame culture we live in. The police HAVE to find someone to blame.

Fine and dandy, but sometimes - If you look hard enough, everyone could be made to blame in one way or another.
Old 08 March 2006, 08:29 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't have been on the A1 near Hatfield would you?, Because about 3ish today someone had a damn good go at killing themselves, i was in it for 45mins.
Old 09 March 2006, 02:38 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost II
A couple of people have a shunt on the motorway and the whole bleeding thing is closed for hours on end. Fine by me to close it temporarily in order to clear up wreckage and attend to the casualties but I don't like the endless amount of "investigation" that goes on afterwards, sometimes all day. Even when it turns out nobody is hurt.

I'm sure a not so long ago there was much more of an attitude of just clearing the lanes and getting people moving. But now they just don't seem bothered even if hundereds of people are trapped between junctions with no way on or off. It's bloody chaos on the roads round me. You can just see plod in the distance wandering around casual as you like looking at bits and pieces on the road.

Then the feckin' rubberneckers seem to block the thing going the other way too just to really ice the cake so to speak.

I'm sure it must be to do with the nambypamby nanny state mentality of finding someone to blame and suing for everything.

If someone was driving like a complete dick and deserves prosecuting for the accident surely they'll have caught it all on one of the cctv cameras that seem to be every few miles along motorways. If not then I'd probably rather they got away with it than my whole bloody day/night is ruined sat in a jam.
scenario 'scrot nicks a scoob goes down the motorway causes a serious crash and some innoncent person dies' wouldn't you want a full investiagtion and the scrot hung drawn..etc....

and if it was you driving the car and causing the accident wouldn't you want a full investigation?????

If you get held up m8 tuff sh!te we all have to deal with it!!!
Old 09 March 2006, 04:36 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swen6
Wouldn't have been on the A1 near Hatfield would you?, Because about 3ish today someone had a damn good go at killing themselves, i was in it for 45mins.
Got it in one.

Bloody A1 is closed a lot and some of the Hertfordshire back lanes are a maze. Barely wide enough for two way traffic and no diversion signs in place. A414 is a ball ache for accidents too. I don't know how so many people manage to crash on straight wide 2-3 lane roads.

At least when I put my car on its roof I had the decency to do it on a quite little road in the middle of nowhere
Old 09 March 2006, 04:39 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Burt
scenario 'scrot nicks a scoob goes down the motorway causes a serious crash and some innoncent person dies' wouldn't you want a full investiagtion and the scrot hung drawn..etc....

and if it was you driving the car and causing the accident wouldn't you want a full investigation?????

If you get held up m8 tuff sh!te we all have to deal with it!!!
I would hope the fact that he was in a stolen car, loads of witnesses had seen him driving like a plonker, and he had crashed causing someone to die would be enough to stick him away. This could all be established in an hour or two. I'm not that sure measuring the position of every last fragment of glass to the nearest millimeter is adding much to the case and it takes the rest of the day?

Would be interesting to know what they are actually doing I suppose?
Old 09 March 2006, 06:23 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

3 hours sat on the M4 last week between junctions 18-17 eastbound, just what I needed - nobody killed or critical, needless to say i aborted my mission for the day and turned home some 5 hours after I set off having covered 100 miles. Good going I thought!!!*****$$%%$£$% NOT.

Oh and then Jct 15 of the M40 was closed on tuesday night - no I wasn't on the M40 but everyone and his dog was avoiding it and blocking up the surrounding countryside - ahh the joys of travelling around the UK.

I know how you feel Boost11
Old 09 March 2006, 07:14 PM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

I tell you what p***es me off... CRUFTS. The whole area around the NEC gridlocked just for a bunch of dog lovers. Thirty minute journey home extended to one hour fifteen minutes. Grrr.
Old 10 March 2006, 12:01 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

I do wonder why there aren't fences running up the middle of the central reservation to prevent rubbernecking. I'm sure there's a good reason (money included!) and they would probably get smashed down in a lot of accidents and possibly cause debris etc, but I've been past plenty of accidents where I've been caught in a rubbernecking-queue which WOULDN'T have been visible had there been a division between the carriageways.
Old 10 March 2006, 01:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

On average a primary accident on a motorway leads to three secondaries - usually minor - usually people rubbernecking.

I have to say a lot of you sound very angry!

As they say in Liverpool, "Calm down, calm down"
Old 10 March 2006, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kuohu
I tell you what p***es me off... CRUFTS. The whole area around the NEC gridlocked just for a bunch of dog lovers. Thirty minute journey home extended to one hour fifteen minutes. Grrr.
The irony, are you a dog?