Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Security Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2006, 09:03 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Clearance

Any of you guys know how i might go about getting Security Clearance ? In my last job i filled a form in to get CTC Clearance, this has now lapsed.

I would like to get Security Cleared again, preferably up to SC leve, but as an individual i dont know how to go about this ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers
Old 11 March 2006, 10:20 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Well if you've been through Counter-Terrorist Check, then you should be OK to get SC, which is the next level up. Best bet is to look at the MoD Defence Vetting Agency website - this will give you the details you need.

You normally need to be sponsored by the firm you are working for - we do for the guys we put through it (as part of the CESG Check program)

Chris
Old 11 March 2006, 10:27 AM
jasonl
Scooby Regular

What he said, you will usually have to be sponsored.
Old 11 March 2006, 10:31 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Well if you've been through Counter-Terrorist Check, then you should be OK to get SC, which is the next level up. Best bet is to look at the MoD Defence Vetting Agency website - this will give you the details you need.

You normally need to be sponsored by the firm you are working for - we do for the guys we put through it (as part of the CESG Check program)

Chris
I am CTC cleared, although its just lapsed, so i am currently filling in the form now. I would have liked to gain SC, which i think is the level above, but i need approval from my manager - who wont give it !.

I just thought i could sponsor myself !

The reason is, if i ever left where i am working now (which i am seriously thinking about), it would be quite a good thing to put on my CV. A lot of IT contracts i have been looking at require SC clearance

Thanks
Old 11 March 2006, 10:35 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

That's true - we require it for the government IT work that we do, but it is not always essential. The fact that you've got (or had) CTC would show to most firms that you're OK. I would contact the DVA and see what they say.
Old 11 March 2006, 11:43 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

I've had CTC and am currently at SC, my forms are in for DV as I need it for a course I'm going on.
I would echo the above statements but also say it is unrealistic for any new company to expect you to turn up with security clearance, otherwise how do new people get into this line of work? The fact you've had CTC is only the most basic of clearance, I would expect your (new) firm to provide a security check on appointment, but the fact you've had CTC can only go in your favour.
Old 11 March 2006, 12:54 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
I just thought i could sponsor myself !
You cant sponsor yourself, you can only get cleared via a firm, and theres no guarantee you will even be successfull getting it.

Ive been SC cleared by IBM, but there were people working for my firm who got clearance rejected.

Also it takes 8-14 weeks to get, which is why a lot of contract jobs want people who already hold the clearance. You can get cleared for varying lengths of time too, I think its 2, 5 (which I got) or 10years before it needs to be renewed. You also lose it if you dont use it for 12months, hence why recruitment consultants always ask when you last used it if you have it.
Old 11 March 2006, 02:14 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Most jobs if they ned clearance and they like you will sponsor you through the process before you start. Obviously, if it's several months to get it through and you're out of work at the time, that doesn't help much. I know people who have had DV through in 6 weeks, although mine took 3-4 months from form first going in.