Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling cars - Are Scottish notes acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2006, 06:43 PM
mikeGG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling cars - Are Scottish notes acceptable?

Hi guys,

I am thinking of selling my car and I a bloke is interested in coming down from Scotland to view the car. He has seen it on the MR2 club we are members of and seems keen as you would have to be to travel from Scotland to Nottingham. However he mentioned today that naturally he would be paying in Scottish notes and am I ok with that? TBH I have no idea. He said he could get a bankers draft but I have heard some horror stories of drafts being forged etc and I think I would prefer the cash. Obviously waiting for the cheque to clear is not an option as he would need to do another return trip from Scotland. Does anyone know the deal with Scottish notes as all I will be doing is banking them into my account? I would imagine the local newsagents may turn his nose up but for the purposes of selling a car are they ok? Is it possible for him to get the cash in English money up in Scotland?

Please help?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11 March 2006, 06:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am sure a Scot will advise but would you recognise a duff Scottish note?

Why don't you just ask him to pop into a bank in Nottingham and they should change them into UKP?
Old 11 March 2006, 06:51 PM
mikeGG
Scooby Regular

Not a bad idea that I will suggest it. Do you think they would do that there and then? We are talking £6K ish.
Old 11 March 2006, 06:53 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

The bank will take the scottish notes. Just call them and ask them. I wouldn't let him drive the car away until you have went to your local branch and paid the money in. That way you have complete peace of mind.
Old 11 March 2006, 06:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Can't help you on that one but there are these money laundering regs these days. i.e. you can't just drop £53m in used twenties into a Kent bank and open an account with no questions asked

If you use a bank in Nottingham phone them and explain the score first. At least they'll arrest you at home and not in front of strangers in the bank!! dl
Old 11 March 2006, 07:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

GBP
Scottish, English, Welsh ....no difference.
Scottish notes should be worth more as they will have fewer owners, we hang on to our money longer up here
Get a money checking pen and check every 10th note if you are in any doubt.
Old 11 March 2006, 07:12 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

my mate sold his old audi coupe for 500quid and the who had it came down from jockland and paid in scottish notes. He had no probs at all
Old 11 March 2006, 07:25 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
my mate sold his old audi coupe for 500quid and the who had it came down from jockland and paid in scottish notes. He had no probs at all
Likewise - when down in Percyland generally no problem with Scottish notes apart from the odd edgy taxi driver who won't accept them.
Old 11 March 2006, 07:46 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Of course you can take Scottish notes. Anything with "sterling" on it is valid currency.
Old 11 March 2006, 07:47 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I thought they weren't actually legal tender down here, but we have to keep the jocks happy and give them their own money

Joke!
Old 11 March 2006, 07:47 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
jockland
some people could take that as a racist comment

ewan
Old 11 March 2006, 07:51 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bank of England
Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.
Does that clear it up?
Old 11 March 2006, 08:00 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I paid for my car from a guy in Southampton in 'Scots' money. No problem at all.

However, this now raises a concern according to last post - will my bank change rogue english notes into proper scots notes?

I still an bemused by the fact this sort of query comes up time and again.
Old 11 March 2006, 08:01 PM
mikeGG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Does that clear it up?
Not really! I had read that on the Bank of England website but I didnt really get it. It seems no one knows the definitive answer
Old 11 March 2006, 09:11 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I always take English notes when buying a car south of the border, it generally takes the bank a couple of days to come up with the foreign currency for me.
Old 11 March 2006, 10:28 PM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Old 12 March 2006, 12:15 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

be careful as there are loads of dodgy scots notes around and if you don' t know how to spot a fake don't take them. Best bet is go into the bank with the guy and pay them in while he is there
Old 12 March 2006, 10:15 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 12 March 2006, 10:21 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If he is coming south of the border to buy in cash you can ask him to bring English tender.

If you go into a bank in Scotland - ok maybe not the local once a week tinpot branch - but the major banks in the major cities - you can ask for English notes.

When I worked in Scotland our petty cash advances were always in English tender as most business travel was south of the border.

It is true there are a lot of dodgy Scottish notes around and it is hard enough to discern the English ones never mind ones you have not seen before.
Old 12 March 2006, 10:54 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Make sure he gives you the right amount as English notes aren't legal tender in scotland

From Royal mint:"In England and Wales the £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender for payment of any amount. However, they are not legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland."

For the Scots - Worth remembering this if you want to wind up the English visitors
Old 12 March 2006, 12:13 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I dont understand why has no one mentioned the exhange rate of the english notes against the scots ones?

I think they are like £1 english to £1.47 scots. But you cant go back the way as no scots want english notes worth noting if your foreign.
Old 12 March 2006, 02:00 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I live in limey land and have no problems giving them my country's currency, should be proud to accept them, lol.

Mac
Old 12 March 2006, 02:56 PM
Gus the Bus
Scooby Regular

We accept your "foreign currency" so the same applies.

If your unsure take to your local RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) as they have invaded most parts of Engerland

Only concern would be if they are forged! It isn't normally a problem to get English notes in Scotland either if you ask for them.

Gus

Last edited by Gus the Bus; 12 March 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 13 March 2006, 09:40 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask him for Euros
Old 13 March 2006, 11:30 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

As an english guy living in Scotland I find this thread quite amusing. As PG said they are all sterling therefore all legal tender.

The difference being in England all notes of the same value look the same where as in Scotland there are several different types of £10's and £20's etc. I have never had a problem other than a checking with the manager in a couple of shops using scottish money in england. Your bank will defo not have a problem.

For what its worth there is a scottish £10 which looks similar to an english £20, when i was in a shop in england i bought something for £6 paid with a £10 and got £14 change Gotta love the engilsh
Old 13 March 2006, 11:47 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't understand why we just don't have a unified British set of notes. Would save a whole lot of f@nnying around.
Old 13 March 2006, 11:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Stone him^^
Old 10 April 2007, 10:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
be careful as there are loads of dodgy scots notes around and if you don' t know how to spot a fake don't take them. Best bet is go into the bank with the guy and pay them in while he is there
BTTT

i missed this thread

yes there is a massive amount of dodgy Scottish £20`s floating around Newcastle, and i do believe i have just seen yet another one........

English bloke, never seen him before, and we pretty much know 95% of the customers faces anyway

Scottish £20, looks "off" to "new" and far to bright in colour, wants a £6 wash gives the £20 and a pound coin and asks for £15 in notes back.

yeah right

we never accept the £20`s the 10`s and 5`s are fine, but i do have a problem giving the 10`s and 5`s out in peoples change and have had a good few people refusing the Scottish notes in there change
Old 10 April 2007, 10:46 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

There's far more "dodgy" English notes than Scottish notes around.

That's why Scottish money is frequently used in large transactions in the drug world. It's actually less likely to be forged than English notes.

Myth busted.
Old 10 April 2007, 10:59 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobylav
As an english guy living in Scotland I find this thread quite amusing. As PG said they are all sterling therefore all legal tender.
Somebody else who doesn't know what "legal tender" actually means.

Scottish notes are not legal tender in England, in the same way that cheques, credit cards and "copper" coins totalling over 20p are not legal tender. This is no reason not to accept any of these payment methods.

Accept what you are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable accepting Scottish notes, ask for something different.

Quick Reply: Selling cars - Are Scottish notes acceptable?