Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do restaurants...

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2006, 08:36 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do restaurants...

...need to take your credit card away from the table when you come to pay the bill?

I know it used to be because the till with the c/c reader was fixed, so they needed to take the card away to swipe it, then bring the receipt to the table for signing, then go back to check the signature against the card and finish the transaction.

Now we have chip & PIN, though, restaurants have to have wireless card readers that they can bring to the table for customers to enter their PIN - so is there any need for the card to leave the customer's sight at all?

This evening Mrs C and I went out for dinner, and with the bill, the waiter brought me a little slip of paper to write the amount of the tip on. Fine, I thought, fill that in and they can bring the c/c machine over to the table, plug in my card, enter my PIN, job done. But no, the waiter comes to collect his slip of paper and wants my card at that point.

So, I ask why he wants it, and he looks at me like I just beamed down from Mars and asks if I've ever been to a restaurant before. (Grumpy bugger, that's the last time we eat there!)

Sensing that I may as well be arguing with a vending machine, I hand over my card. Another waiter brings it back a minute later with the chip & PIN machine, I key in my PIN, get my receipt and leave.

I've no reason to suspect that anything dodgy is going on - I'm just curious as to why the procedure for paying in a restaurant hasn't changed with the adoption of wireless chip & PIN machines.

Anyone know?
Old 12 March 2006, 08:42 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

How else are they supposed to clone your card?
Old 12 March 2006, 08:56 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Crabit ****
Old 12 March 2006, 08:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowadays they bring the machine to the table and its sorted there - you've just been done!!

Pete
Old 12 March 2006, 09:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If so, it'll be pretty bloody obvious where it's happened - it was a brand new card!
Old 12 March 2006, 11:12 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

You could always folllow him to the machine and watch him like a hawk. After all, its YOUR card.
Yve
Old 12 March 2006, 11:16 PM
negri
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772

Sensing that I may as well be arguing with a vending machine, I hand over my card. Another waiter brings it back a minute later with the chip & PIN machine, I key in my PIN, get my receipt and leave.

I
it doesnt make much sense him taking your card if the chip and pin machine was coming to you any way ?

probably not dodgy but no need i would have thought

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2006, 11:20 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

becuase if the system is slow it can take a few minutes to register the card and they don't like to be stood at the table for ages while they insert the card then press a few buttons then wait for your pin then wait for connection again etc. For a restaurant its uncomfortble to bother the customer for too long especially if its a couple out for a romaric meal so they try to minimise the time spent hovering next to your table. Taking the card away just shortens that time.
Old 13 March 2006, 01:06 AM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I've always been told never to let your cards leave your site, yet you go to a restaurant and nobody bats an eyelid about giving the waiter the card!
Old 13 March 2006, 06:55 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Dont let it out of your sight, there's no need..........
Old 13 March 2006, 07:07 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

There are still thousand of cards out there without chips and the old method of card read at the till followed by a signature still applies.
Some retailers/ restaurants are still getting to grips with procedures. Additionally Some banks have only just issued their wireless versions of the keypad and from time to time they don't work as expected or the restaurant has dead spots.

Unlike high street retailers who have a head office to deal with technology and procedures, most restaurants are independant small businesses and are slower to catch up with technology.
Old 13 March 2006, 07:25 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Last couple of time i have paid for a meal with a card it has been done at the table, in a matter of seconds