Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When your computer goes down dont you want to smash it up?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 03:07 AM
wannascoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When your computer goes down dont you want to smash it up?

When your computer it playing up and you get frustrated with it and nothing is going rite ,how many times have you just wanted to smash it up well now you can till all the anger has gone
check this out

http://www.gamershood.com/game.php?id=995

Now i feel better
Old 13 March 2006, 04:57 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Or just get a Mac
Old 13 March 2006, 05:22 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I would love to throw my monitor straight out of the window sometimes.

I have actually picked it up and gone to do it once, then thought of the cost of new window
Old 13 March 2006, 06:33 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

My six year old Compaq was playing up all last summer, and as I was leaving the country it was going anyway, totally worthless, and also for privacy reasons, took a crowbar to the piece of ....!
Old 13 March 2006, 09:29 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had more problems with current home PC than with any other computer I've known. Tempted to buy a new one, then will take great delight in dropping the old one 3 storeys from the living room window.

Can't afford a new one though
Old 13 March 2006, 09:42 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Can't afford a new one though
Mac Mini from £450
Old 13 March 2006, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My home office is next to my 4 ft deep pond and I have been sooooooooo tempted at times.....
Old 13 March 2006, 10:42 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Or just get a Mac
Yawn

Cant believe that argument still gets bandied about, just like the Microsoft thing. If a PC is built properly it wont go wrong, and many of us dont want Mac's.

I built my XP PC 3 years ago now, and haven't had a single crash or error because it was done right

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 13 March 2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 13 March 2006, 11:36 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Yawn

Cant believe that argument still gets bandied about, just like the Microsoft thing. If a PC is built properly it wont go wrong, and many of us dont want Mac's.

I built my XP PC 3 years ago now, and haven't had a single crash or error because it was done right
slight flaw there...

the hardware must conform to the basic pc arcitecture(sp) and as such very few pc,s are actually built faulty, you do as with any electronic equipment get failures, and again these can be blindingly obvious, or intermittant which gives most concern.

the issue which gives most grief, is software and operating systems, when you get OS's that want total control of everything and then other oems, trying to do the same, you get conflicts, software that cant understand older or newer technology, an ever greedy lust to have the fastest biggest terraflippingnanaogigarom card, is bound to cause problems.

macs perform better as the groundrules were more specific, and didnt allow the level of tweakdom that we have with the ibm pc framework.

Mart
Old 13 March 2006, 12:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I band this arguement about because professionally I use both, which leads me to personally prefer Mac. Using a 6 year old laptop which has had nothing more than a RAM increase to its paltry spec (400mhz, 10G, 320M) which is perfectly capable of almost everything I need for domestic use, and apart from a dodgy video driver requiring a clean install has run faultlessly. The processor speed and HD size are starting to become an issue with the size of the newer apps and complexity of OS X, so I will be upgrading to an iMac 20" Intel Merom when they are launched, which should last me at least 10 years without further upgrade, and I hope will perform just as reliably even with Intel Inside
Old 13 March 2006, 12:30 PM
wannascoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Quite funny some of these posts, im pleased im not the only one that gets agresive with a pc
Old 13 March 2006, 12:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Or just get a Mac
Don't make me laugh. I've spent the last 3 years working with both on my desktop at work. The PC hardly ever let me down or had problems whereas the Mac(twin proc G5 on osx) I wanted to smash to pieces at times.
Old 13 March 2006, 02:19 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Don't make me laugh. I've spent the last 3 years working with both on my desktop at work. The PC hardly ever let me down or had problems whereas the Mac(twin proc G5 on osx) I wanted to smash to pieces at times.
Sister bought one of those oh so cool Imacs and asked me round to set it up for her i was generally interested in it and had no prejudices either way but i do now.
it was the biggest pile of crap computer i have ever used the os was a joke why is it mac fans always bleat on about how much better the o.s is it just isn't or certainly it wasnt compared to the windos 95 PC i was using at the time.
it never ran right even after several Mac gurus from her college claimed to be able to fix it easily.

I am far from being a Windows fan but this misguided macs are perfect and never go wrong attitude from mac fans always seems slightly deluded
Old 13 March 2006, 02:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As I said earlier, I use both professionally, daily, and so can offer an experienced and as unbiased opinion as possible, and I fecking hate Windows. We have 12 Dell Poweredge units running an Oracle database for number crunching, and several more ordinary PC's running various other devices. They crash, **** up and are generally unpleasant all day, every day. The 10 Macs which are given much more than one job to do at a time run perfectly happily, all day, every day. Our IT manager is a total tw@t and does no regular periodic maintenance on them whatsoever, and they still perform faultlessly, and have done for around 5 years without replacement. We have replaced 6 PC's in that time. Just last night I sat in on 3 conversations with colleagues from within and outside of our establishment, all relating to something not working properly on their Windows PC's (a soundcard, a graphics card and a foobared HD) and sat smugly thinking how good my crappy little Mac was as it sat there batch processing 400 images in PS whilst I surfed the net and watched a DVD, without crashing once, as usual.

I am a cynical, sceptical, fussy @rsed perfectionist when it comes to technology, and if it failed me regularly then it would be out of the door. It doesn't, ever. Am I deluded
Old 13 March 2006, 02:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Macs aren't perfect, as with any computer things can and do go wrong.
I've supported both PC's and Macs over the years (Primarliy macs though) and for me, fixing a mac is usually far simpler than fixing a PC. Most of the problems I've encountered were due to hardware issues (gfx card not compatible with the motherboard being used) or incorrect drivers, or just general corruption of files and/or the registry.

Part of the "problem" as it were, with PC's is that you can build one to your own specs, so every one could be a little different, with a Mac the advantage is that the majority of the hardware will be Apple specific, and if it's not then generally the OS will do it's plug and play thing and pick the items up. Sometimes it doesn't work like that though.

Going to a Mac is not a solution for everyone, and that I can understand. Hell, I could have persuaded my parents to get a mac instead of a PC, but I didn't. The main reason being that they both used PC's at work and so getting them to use a different machine at home would be a nightmare.

Hopefully in the near future the Mac will be able to dual boot into windows, which could lead to the best of both worlds. Mac OS X for those who want to use it. XP/Vista (though it has been said Vista won't be EFI, so maybe not) for those who want it, with the added advantage of a closed hardware system, so no worries about errant drivers. Howerver, that setup won't be perfect for gamers or those who need very specific hardware, but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 13 March 2006, 02:57 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I've used PC's for more than 20 years, Macs for about 4 and I have spent time working for Apple.

I recently started at a new job which required me to use a PC 80% of the time. It feels like stepping back in time. Yes the PC is more powerful than my Powerbook but everything takes twice as long. Mainly because you have to install things which are already in OSX (MySQL, Apache, Ruby etc). Or you have to click a million times to get where you want to be.

I do like Windows and the speed of the GUI is impressive but overall OSX is just more intuitive and nicer to use. I think though its each to their own. Whatever you prefer...
Old 13 March 2006, 07:05 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I use both daily but after being a PC fan am totally won over. Bear in mind I have an IT background am am failry it literate at one stage was one of a few people qualified to spec and build DEC VAX systems and was very PC literate and whilst not a techie was able to build and configure PC easilly enough.

The PCs at work have constant problems and are generally rubbish and not a tool but a barrier despite huge sunms of cash being spent on them they have had to be replaced so frequently. The Macs just do thier thing fine, day in day out.

My personal record for having PCs repalced is 3 in one day !

Yes Macs are not perfect but they are generally better when it comes to the robustness of the OS. Apple have had some qaulity issues which they do need to address so I'm not going to stick my head in the sand but overall for most uses I feel its a better solution as you can spend more time doing what you want and less time trying to get things to work.

Just ask some of the reginal newspapers who were able to run thier whole business and get a paprer out on 60 Macs when all the PCs in the buidling got hit by a new virus with no available virus defintitions. A number of big finance and pharmacuetical companies now using XServes as active directory servers as they are so solid.

AllanB
Old 14 March 2006, 02:05 AM
wannascoobydoo
Scooby Regular

And i thought only train spotters wore macs
Old 14 March 2006, 08:11 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm a support manager looking after (amongst other things) 350 PC's and 10 Macs. We spend as much time pissing about with the Macs as we do with the PC's despite there being less of them. Personally, I'd throw them out the window very happily
Old 14 March 2006, 08:20 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

One of the few benefits of working in IT is that you get to bin old PCs.

Once threw a monitor out of a first floor window into an empty skip.

It bounced around the skip then settled in the bottom - totally intact

The base unit got it though .

They don't make them like that anymore. Oh - and you can't dispose of them like that anymore either