Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice on a last minute snow break?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 12:26 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a last minute snow break?

Unfortunately a crazy few months at work have meant I have yet to go away at all this season, and time is running out

I have managed to squeeze in a week from 29th March (Wednesday to Wednesday) so it's just a case of booking somewhere.

I have previously boarded in Chamonix, La Thuile and La Plagne, am 'intermediate' with a partner who is still a beginner and will be wanting 3 days of board school.

I like all kinds of riding, but preferably somewhere with something 'interesting' as I'm just learning to get air / grabs etc. so maybe a park of some kind. Powder would also be a bonus, but ideally accessible as I will be on my own so will not want to go hiking into back country!!

I will be driving there, and wil be wanting a good hotel, preferably with a sauna / jacuzzi and a good restaurant.

My question really is:

Where is a pretty safe bet in late March for some good fresh snow?

If I book my eurotunnel now, would I be safe to leave booking hotel and board school literally at the last minute once the 6 day snow report is in?

Will I get better 'last minute' season bargains by booking now, or literally last minute?

Current thinking on resorts is: Laax or Davos, Les 2 Alpes, Verbier or Zermatt (maybe too far to drive).

Anyone with any thoughts on the above or reccommendations would be very welcome, i want to make the most of this precious and likely only week on the slopes this season!

cheers

Ed
Old 13 March 2006, 12:41 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

You could pretty much go anywhere in the Alps. Ive just come back from Alp D'Hueze, Les Gets and Les Arc. It is throwing it down with snow and has been for the last two weeks. At least a meter extra snow.

Cant go wrong anywhere, should be a long season this year. If you have the time wait until the weekend before and then do some phoning round, should be able to get a good deal.

dave
Old 13 March 2006, 12:55 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDave
You could pretty much go anywhere in the Alps. Ive just come back from Alp D'Hueze, Les Gets and Les Arc. It is throwing it down with snow and has been for the last two weeks. At least a meter extra snow.

Cant go wrong anywhere, should be a long season this year. If you have the time wait until the weekend before and then do some phoning round, should be able to get a good deal.

dave
Great, I've booked my channel crossing, so I should be fine to leave it til last minute to book the hotel?
Old 13 March 2006, 01:43 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
Great, I've booked my channel crossing, so I should be fine to leave it til last minute to book the hotel?
I would, snow conditions are superb at present but they can change pretty quickly, infact i'm off to Alpe D'Huez on friday

At this time of year I would stay high whatever, it is cold at the moment which is good but bear in mind that by april if the sun comes out it can get pretty slushie in the afternoon. The lower you go the worse it gets. Beginning of april though it will only be lateish afternoon you have problems.

Alpe D'Huez is only 20 mins further on than Les Duexs Alpes and inho is a far superior resort. In the northern alpe's these and les arcs are probably your best bet. If you are prepared to go further south then 3 valleys are a great bet and will have cheap accomodation as there is so much there.

hth

chop
Old 13 March 2006, 02:49 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Also try Val D'Isere, high and snowshore until early May most years.

19 of us are going for 6 days, leaving 15th April We went at the same time last year and had 3 feet of snow in the week!!!! Lower down it was slushy in the afternoons, but stay high and/or north facing and conditions should be perfect.

The range of terrain in Val/Tignes will provide plenty of variation for you and your beginner partner, although anyone learning will find it tough to board down the slopes into the village. Plenty of lifts down, so not a problem.

Solaise and Bellevards have plenty of easy greens, however certain blues/reds in the Espace Killy would be red/blacks in some resorts.........Anyone for Arcelles on Solaise, marked a red but damn steep for the final 400M's!!!!!!!! Face, down Bellevarde, is steep, but good fun if you fancy a challenge.

Also, don't be put off by the scaremongerers advising the area is expensive, it's not if you don't drink in the trendy bars and the lift pass is 193 Euros for the Val/Tignes region, not bad for 300km of piste.

Have fun,
Dan
Old 13 March 2006, 02:52 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

As stated previously - go for altitude. There used to be a decent half pipe at Val Thorens with plenty of jumps but having only skied it, I can't say whether it's any good for boarding but it was fun at the time.
Old 13 March 2006, 02:53 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, book with 4/5 days before departure and you will get a good deal.

Catered Chalets are great value, everything included except lunch and beer.....

snowline.co.uk
igluski.co.uk
skibeat.co.uk
valdiserechalets.co.uk - Talk to Anna
Old 13 March 2006, 03:25 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

In addition to the other suggestions, try

http://www.skisolutions.co.uk

They are really helpful. Brokering last minute bookings is one of their specialities.
Old 13 March 2006, 05:56 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
Also try Val D'Isere, high and snowshore until early May most years.

19 of us are going for 6 days, leaving 15th April We went at the same time last year and had 3 feet of snow in the week!!!! Lower down it was slushy in the afternoons, but stay high and/or north facing and conditions should be perfect.

The range of terrain in Val/Tignes will provide plenty of variation for you and your beginner partner, although anyone learning will find it tough to board down the slopes into the village. Plenty of lifts down, so not a problem.

Solaise and Bellevards have plenty of easy greens, however certain blues/reds in the Espace Killy would be red/blacks in some resorts.........Anyone for Arcelles on Solaise, marked a red but damn steep for the final 400M's!!!!!!!! Face, down Bellevarde, is steep, but good fun if you fancy a challenge.

Also, don't be put off by the scaremongerers advising the area is expensive, it's not if you don't drink in the trendy bars and the lift pass is 193 Euros for the Val/Tignes region, not bad for 300km of piste.

Have fun,
Dan
Agree with all of the above, i've skied val for the last 3 years and it has been superb, as said Val resort runs are bad in the afternoon, up high is ok and tignes isn't bad all day.

I did find it expensive but we were drinking in the trendy bars every night

As said though it can easily be done on the cheap.

chop
Old 13 March 2006, 06:41 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

went to norway, lillehammer in jan, saw the top gear mini on the ski jump being filmed while i was there. actually boarded and stayed in hafjell, 10 mins away really good park with rails, BIG jumps and pipes too, some good, long beginner slopes too, somewhere different for next time maybe!
Old 13 March 2006, 06:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Cool, money not really an issue, but naturally bargains =

Don't want to go as far as Val d'isere. How is Les Arcs for beginners? We went to La Plagne but never crossed over.

Anyone been to davos in switzerland? Or Laax?
Old 13 March 2006, 09:24 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I tried Poland this year and it was magic and being a canny Scot very cheap.

Flights £40 with Ryanair
Bus to ski resort in Zakopane (60 miles) for £2.50
Hotel £15 a night inc breakfast
Ski hire £40 for five days
Good Polish beer 90p a pint
a meal for £3.00

Cheap taxi's and very fit woman. The only downside was having to buy a ski pass that you swipe and pay per run. Fantastic place with nice clean hotels, good food and strong beer. It beats paying £5+ a pint in some ski resorts i've been in.