Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Internet Business Development

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2006, 11:37 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet Business Development

I've been working on this web site idea thing in my mind and I think I've got something that will catch on, in fact I'm pretty sure. I need help on the marketing and intellectual property side. Does anyone know any guys running businesses who would work on something like that ?

I'm looking for more than just an internet development shop. I need help on the 'will it work', how do you market it, developing revenue generation options, how do you protect the idea and most importantly on the "is it viable" side.

I spoken to a few folks but they appear to just really develop, publish/maintain and host. It’s a little bit of a different idea but the concept itself is pretty new or at least I've certainly not been able to find it out there. So I'm obviously a bit concerned about the idea getting hi-jacked before it gets off the ground.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 17 March 2006, 11:39 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

SIAL. Weird.
Old 17 March 2006, 11:42 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The web designers are a small piece of the puzzle, you can bring those guys in once you know exactly who everything is going to run.

What are you bringing to the party? Cash? Experience of starting new businesses? An idea isn't enough!
Old 17 March 2006, 11:50 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

I'm bringing the idea, the initial investment and experience of running a business...thanks for asking
Old 17 March 2006, 12:01 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

So are you saying you want someone to do the work for free/low cost based on speculation or an equity share? Sounds to me that really you want just coders/designers and pay them for their time so you dont have to give any equity or profit share away. You really need to do your homework on the viability of a project and the net these days does let you do that if you spend enough time. Be careful though, the fact that no-one else is doing it that you have found so far doesnt just mean that its a killer idea it means it could be completely unviable and that other people have tried it and failed!

Good luck

P.S. Why no just post the idea up here you are bound to get 101 opinions on it
Old 17 March 2006, 12:09 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

If you really think it is a good idea, make an appointment with your local business venture service (cant remember the real name). If they think its good enough then they will pay to have proper market reseach done to make sure its something that people will want/use/need etc.

I'm in the proccess of having market research done for a project I maybe starting, but to do it properly takes time
Old 17 March 2006, 03:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
So are you saying you want someone to do the work for free/low cost based on speculation or an equity share? Sounds to me that really you want just coders/designers and pay them for their time so you dont have to give any equity or profit share away.
You won't get any decent developers on board just with equity. Unless you're prepared to bankroll the whole thing, you need to sell your idea to an investor (try to find an angel) and then hire in people as you need them. If you can't sell your idea to an investor, you'd more than likely end up wasting your own money anyway!
Old 18 March 2006, 10:45 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You won't get any decent developers on board just with equity. Unless you're prepared to bankroll the whole thing, you need to sell your idea to an investor (try to find an angel) and then hire in people as you need them. If you can't sell your idea to an investor, you'd more than likely end up wasting your own money anyway!

Interesting thought process there banana, I'm sure Dyson thought the same way . If I needed someone else to bankroll it then I'd be asking for that. I can get development skills and can manage it myself locally in Belgium and as my original thread said that is not what I'm really looking for today. I recognise that is just the mechanics of the process
The original question I'd asked before was does anyone know a company that will look into intellectual property rights and also be able to provide guidance on web marketing and revenue option's and they are based in the UK.
Old 19 March 2006, 01:12 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
The original question I'd asked before was does anyone know a company that will look into intellectual property rights and also be able to provide guidance on web marketing and revenue option's and they are based in the UK.
There are plenty of IPR lawyers out there. I don't think the same people will be marketing experts, but there are plenty of marketing companies out there too.