Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

JUST BOUGHT MY ROAD TAX ON LINE!!! - NO INSURANCE DETAILS REQUIRED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 08:32 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool JUST BOUGHT MY ROAD TAX ON LINE!!! - NO INSURANCE DETAILS REQUIRED!!!

As above (I must be really sad as it's Saturday night!!!) It was dead easy; with the new MOT system, they must already know the MOT details (my car is not that old anyway.) Regarding the insurance, I assume the DVLA must have access to some database confirming insurance details????

It is the future though - saves waiting in a queue in the Post Office while Assylum Seekers claim their benefits!!!

The only drawback is the additional charge of £2.50 (for 1 years tax) when using a credit card - using a normal switch does not carry a charge.

Brilliant!!!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc
Old 18 March 2006, 08:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

good idea, might try that next time mine is up for renewal
Old 18 March 2006, 09:13 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Yes , they have you tracked. Nothing goes past them nowadays. Did this 3 days before Xmas and had my tax disc 2 days later. V impressed.
Yve
Old 18 March 2006, 09:36 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Now Stephen - if you were paying attention, you will have seen the DVLA website make an enquiry to the ABI (Assoc of British Insurers) - it does tell you it is doing this. No tax disc will be issued via the DVLA website without you having a valid insurance policy.
Old 18 March 2006, 09:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

All car data is all linked and centralised now - V5, MOT, insurance. So no need for forms or physical proof and farting around, stuck behind shed loads of OAPs and mothers with uncontrollable offspring collecting Giros in posts offices ('bout time if you ask me).

Even our trade insurance has to have any permanent vehicles listed for cover. Back in the day you could just buy any old car, jump in and drive it, not having to worry out the insurance as it was covered and legit.

Infact, the local fuzz "tested" out their insurance database on me in one of my bangers. The system was not officially on-line, but they were using it anyway, and I had not listed it on the insurance policy (not required at the time)....wasted a few hours at the Station providing my insurance details with that one

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 March 2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:55 AM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Exclamation ANPR Cameras & ABI Insurance Database

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Infact, the local fuzz "tested" out their insurance database on me in one of my bangers. The system was not officially on-line, but they were using it anyway, and I had not listed it on the insurance policy (not required at the time)....wasted a few hours at the Station providing my insurance details with that one
Just to dig this one up... I was unexpectedly stopped on the way home this week by an area car equipped with APNR. Heard the siren in the distance and politely moved over to let it pass, only it didn't

Apparently it was flagged as being uninsured, which it isn't. Copper was very polite and apologised, complimented me on the nicely maintained classic and issued the usual producer (check insurance only).

Duly went straight to the local copshop with the certificate where things went horribly wrong. The very tiny print on the certificate had the model year letter incorrect. It was printed as an 'R' plate where it should have been a 'W'. I have also noticed its incorrect on the schedule, although it states its a MY2000 and all details are correct. Job cancelled and I left quickly.

I've had this certificate re-issued and corected, no problem. Except the date now runs from a time after the original 'producer'. I still have to go back before the seven days are up and find out what happens now....

Boy, me thinks is this going to get messy. A very easy honest mistake like this could end up with serious consequences indeed. A warning to you all, CHECK YOUR DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY!

Funny thing was I was bunting on about the crap database, honest upstanding citizen, inconvenience etc etc only to find that it's actually working as it should. The database is obviously populated with the incorrect registration that's on the certificate of insurance.

Anyone else been in a similar predicament? Whats the likely outcome?

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:58 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Tell them you were driving third party on the policy for the W reg one
Old 30 March 2006, 11:07 AM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Tell them you were driving third party on the policy for the W reg one

Always open to suggestions,
Unfortunately the car is registered to me
Old 30 March 2006, 11:30 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Regarding the insurance, I assume the DVLA must have access to some database confirming insurance details????

How do we check Insurance,new style MOT Test Certificates and GVT Test Certificates?
perhaps clicking this link on their website might just give you the answer your looking for
Old 30 March 2006, 11:36 AM
terence
Scooby Regular

how does this work with cars on a temporary insurance? say for a week or 2 weeks and you need to tax the car your using?

does that still class as a valid insurance that the system will recognize and issue you a tax disc or will it not allow it?

always wondered about that!
Old 30 March 2006, 11:51 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M1BJR
Just to dig this one up... I was unexpectedly stopped on the way home this week by an area car equipped with APNR. Heard the siren in the distance and politely moved over to let it pass, only it didn't

Apparently it was flagged as being uninsured, which it isn't. Copper was very polite and apologised, complimented me on the nicely maintained classic and issued the usual producer (check insurance only).

Duly went straight to the local copshop with the certificate where things went horribly wrong. The very tiny print on the certificate had the model year letter incorrect. It was printed as an 'R' plate where it should have been a 'W'. I have also noticed its incorrect on the schedule, although it states its a MY2000 and all details are correct. Job cancelled and I left quickly.

I've had this certificate re-issued and corected, no problem. Except the date now runs from a time after the original 'producer'. I still have to go back before the seven days are up and find out what happens now....

Boy, me thinks is this going to get messy. A very easy honest mistake like this could end up with serious consequences indeed. A warning to you all, CHECK YOUR DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY!

Funny thing was I was bunting on about the crap database, honest upstanding citizen, inconvenience etc etc only to find that it's actually working as it should. The database is obviously populated with the incorrect registration that's on the certificate of insurance.

Anyone else been in a similar predicament? Whats the likely outcome?

Cheers,
Steve.
And you mention in the ID Card thread about not worrying about the ID card/NIR database
Old 30 March 2006, 12:05 PM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
And you mention in the ID Card thread about not worrying about the ID card/NIR database
Not an issue. the database is correct actually!
The error was by the broker. i had opportunity to rectify it but failed due to being a blind old git LOL

Steve
Old 31 March 2006, 12:38 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

One in Five ANPR stops by the police are incorrect, these can cause problems ranging from innocent people being inconvenienced and having to produce their documents, to being arrested and detained overnight whilst being processed as a suspected murderer.

God help us when ID cards are forced upon us.
Old 31 March 2006, 03:56 PM
M1BJR
Scooby Regular

Well, spent ages in the station with the amended certificate. Desk clark took it to the Sargeant in the end for advice. The upshot is it's down to the traffic division to sort out. Moist likely they will ring the Broker / Underwriter to check I was actually insured, and hopefully thats it. What a pain, and a worry....
Old 31 March 2006, 05:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
All car data is all linked and centralised now - V5, MOT, insurance. So no need for forms or physical proof and farting around, stuck behind shed loads of OAPs and mothers with uncontrollable offspring collecting Giros in posts offices ('bout time if you ask me).

Even our trade insurance has to have any permanent vehicles listed for cover. Back in the day you could just buy any old car, jump in and drive it, not having to worry out the insurance as it was covered and legit.

providing you have your 16 digit number off the v11 or the number off the V5

without it your f*cked, but if they ommit either then its tough, i did it at the post office in the end.

DVLA useless!! , they can find your data fast enough when they want to send you a tax reminder, or fine, but try and get data legitimatly from them top "pay" and there a bunch of jobsworths

Mart