Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kiddie car seat - seatbelt too short!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 10:55 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Kiddie car seat - seatbelt too short!

Well, took us months to choose what carseat/travelsystem we wanted; settled on Jané Matrix 3-wheeler. Now we're days away from needing it, I heard horror stories about seatbelts being too short, so went into the shop to try before I buy, and yes - damn seatbelt is about 6in too short!

Of course, it's because the Matrix is a seat/cot combo, so it's longer or thicker than the others. Pity - that was the whole reason we liked it. That, and the pushchair folded shorter than the rest.

Anyone else had this problem, before I phone Toyota on Monday and ask how much an extension costs?

Thanks

Brendan
Old 19 March 2006, 12:10 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

expect to pay silly money for an extension, thats assuming Toyota will sell you one.

we used to make extension sections for LTI for when wheelchairs were used in the taxi's unfortunatly the company who made the bits has now closed and moved all its operations abroad, you may not be able to get a longer belt due to the way they are made, an extension piece may be available, but its unlikley given that there are many different versions of buckle and tounge, have you tried moving the seat as far back as poss, this will often give the extra inches you need.. failing that it may be a case of.. in the back only

Mart
Old 19 March 2006, 12:14 AM
MrsDibbleyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
expect to pay silly money for an extension, thats assuming Toyota will sell you one.

it is true
i paid a fair bit for my extension... BUT well worth it in the long run in my opion
Old 19 March 2006, 01:01 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your having prob's Brendan.

As well as Toyota, try giving Securon seatbelts a call as well - I believe they supply a lot of manufaturers with their belts so may have an aftermarket solution available to suit.

Their web site is here:-

http://www.securon.co.uk/

Good luck

GB
Old 19 March 2006, 03:14 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mart - yeah, I expect to pay nasally for anything bought from Toyota
As for in the back only - this WAS in the back

GB - ta for the site I went via the FAQ to the Extensions page, and they say "Extenders are not recommended for general use or use with Child Seats and should be removed before the vehicle is sold. Seat Belts are designed to restrain people and we cannot confirm baby seat compatibility."

*****. I'll still phone them though, it probably means don't use an extension, but a longer replacement belt might be possible.

Many thanks for the info guys.
Old 19 March 2006, 05:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatly the other company who made seatbelts shipped all its uk operations overseas in november last year

the problem with extenders is where the extended buckle will sit in relation to the belt.

there are other methods you could use,, i,ll send you a pm for obvious reasons

Mart
Old 20 March 2006, 09:36 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say, but you're much better off first finding out which baby seats fit your car, and choosing from them. Even if one you like does actually "fit", you then need to make sure it fits safely - i.e. no potential buckle-crunch. This depends on the design of the seat and the fixing of your car's seatbelt. It's a nightmare, and you really need to find someone who knows what they're doing to advise you properly (not a Saturday morning urchin in Mothercare). If you're anywhere near, Tiny Tinkers in Hayward's Heath is excellent - http://www.tinytinkers.co.uk/