Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPod - I'm about to cry!

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2006, 12:46 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod - I'm about to cry!

I recently reformatted my laptop, and, obviously, had to install all my programs again, including iTunes.

Without thinking, I've just connected the iPod (20GB, with about 1MB free) to the computer, and it has decided to 'sync' with the four files that I had on iTunes, whilst deleting the other 19.9GB on the iPod.

I don't suppose there's a magical way to get those files back?

Old 19 March 2006, 12:51 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I did something similar. I bought an iPod with some decent stuff on it and was using musicmatch then I downloaded iTunes plugged in the iPod.....Bye bye all the tunes
Old 19 March 2006, 01:28 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope - no way to get them back - sorry.
Old 19 March 2006, 01:39 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I feel for you mate. I had a similar experience earlier this week...I noticed that my playlists had mysteriously disappeared off my iPod (3G 15gb) so decided to re-synch them with iTunes. I started getting all sorts of error messages but the killer one is the "drive door is open" which basically is telling me that the hard disk is dead and it can't write to it. Opened it up, checked that everything was okay, reformatted, tried again...no hope. Looks like I'll be buying a new hard drive for it. This, after the battery died so had to replace that as well just a few weeks ago. Arrghhh!
Old 19 March 2006, 01:51 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

So they are not that good then
Old 19 March 2006, 02:09 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

No, they're brilliant. Great sound, amazing capacity and a fabulous interface. However.....

They suffer from Apples attempt to keep music from being illegally copied. I'm afraid it's one way only. You can put it on the device, but you can't get it off again. iTune synching is the same.. If you alter the library or copy songs to the deivice from outside the iTunes directory or even synch on a day with an 'D' in it, then you're likely to find them gone.

Like the Unix operating system, the iPod OS is tempremental and it expects the user to have a complete understanding of how it all bolts together.. one mistake and 'Boom'... You've lost data or killed the device.

Such a deny all policy means that in instances like this, you'll loose everything.

There are programmes out there that may recover the data and/or allow you to back them up, such as: Copypod, xport, anapod, ephod and many more promise to backup, retreive or offer better alternatives to iTunes and it's very strict operating parameters..

I haven't tried them as I'm too scared of loosing the 20+ GB of data But I'd certainly try the above or do a Google for Ipod backup, restore etc and try them all before loosing hope...

Last edited by Alan C; 19 March 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 19 March 2006, 03:01 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

why not set your ipods to manually update?

All mine are like that and when i have to fix them at work i put them to manually update then turn the auto sync option back on.

Just make sure you read the prompts rather than clicking yes all the time

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2006, 03:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The default for iTunes is to auto-sync, so when you plug your iPod in after reinstall of the lappy, WHAM, there goes all the music from the iPod. You might be lucky in getting back if you use a data recovery app, but I would not hold up much hope.

I've been hit with this in the past, but thankfully had a backup of all my music and playlist and so getting things back wasn't too painfull.

Since then I've decided to set iTunes to manual updating for the iPod. Yes, when I add a few albums I have to add them manually to the iPod, but it's not too much of a hassle, plus you could write yourself an applescript to automate things if you wanted (script creates/mods a smart playlist based on date added, then copies the music files in that playlist to the iPod).

I can understand why Apple locks the iPod, preventing you from copying items from it, the music industry wanted some form of protection for allowing their music on iTMS and this is the result, however, there are 3rd party utils out there allowing you to copy music from your iPod to your hard drive, so it's not a total loss (I personally recommend Podworks if you are using a Mac)
Old 19 March 2006, 03:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why anyone who knows their geeky stuff buys an Iriver, same thing but without the annoying software, just have to get used to a not as nice interface and the fact everyone thinks its a cheaper option, not bothered about that.
Old 19 March 2006, 04:25 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I plugged my next door neighbour's into mine and replaced all her cheese with Trance hehe oops!!
Old 19 March 2006, 04:33 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
The default for iTunes is to auto-sync, so when you plug your iPod in after reinstall of the lappy, WHAM, there goes all the music from the iPod. You might be lucky in getting back if you use a data recovery app, but I would not hold up much hope.

I've been hit with this in the past, but thankfully had a backup of all my music and playlist and so getting things back wasn't too painfull.
That's exactly what happened with me. My previous set-up was with the manual update, but as soon as I plugged it in today, poof, all gone.

It's my own fault - I was too busy having a conversation to notice the prompts, so I must have just clicked 'next'.

Originally Posted by CooperS
I plugged my next door neighbour's into mine and replaced all her cheese with Trance hehe oops!!
You don't happen to 'follow' Armin van Buuren's radio show, do you? I've lost around 60 episodes.
Old 19 March 2006, 05:28 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
That's exactly what happened with me. My previous set-up was with the manual update, but as soon as I plugged it in today, poof, all gone.

It's my own fault - I was too busy having a conversation to notice the prompts, so I must have just clicked 'next'.

You don't happen to 'follow' Armin van Buuren's radio show, do you? I've lost around 60 episodes.
The state of trance one's?

Did do, but not got them anymore
Old 19 March 2006, 06:07 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

That's right. I started downloading them around episode number 170, and we're on 240 at the moment - oh well, I'll live.
Old 19 March 2006, 07:18 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Did something similar. My laptop was stolen and so I plugged my ipod into my new laptop to get the songs onto the latter. I must have pressed the wrong button as I wiped the ipod. I'd spent days compiling the music....
Old 19 March 2006, 08:13 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

That's why I'm scared to experiment I did have some issues when I'd first bought it (as posted on SNET) but when something like this happens to me, then I'll have a play about with other software..

But, I suppose it's all worth it fo the best MP3/Video player out there (when attached to some Shure E2c's)
Old 19 March 2006, 08:34 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

you can get all your music off your ipod easy but its a long winded thing to to if you ever reformate you comp pulg your ipod in and go in to it via my computer click the view hidden files and there will be a new file in the menu on your ipod open it in there will be numbered files 1-40 odd if not more in each of these is your music just drag and drop each one and you have saved all your music ive had to do this a few times just dont plug it in to itunes before you get it off lol
Old 19 March 2006, 09:14 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

It seems that all the numbered 'F' folders are empty, is that correct?

If so, where do I drag them to?

Last edited by G-STAR; 19 March 2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 19 March 2006, 09:23 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

try this...

http://engadget.com/2004/11/02/how-t...off-your-ipod/

or this

http://www.gold-software.com/CopyPod-file8320.html
Old 24 May 2006, 12:21 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Another problem - I think it's now dead.

The hard drive has gone to a better place, just 10 days after my warranty expired!

My computer recognises the device, however, after showing up as 'Apple iPod ( F: )', the properties of such point towards a complete failure;

Type: Removable Disk
File System: RAW
Used Space: 0 Bytes
Free Space: 0 Bytes
Capacity: 0 Bytes

What's the next step? The bin?
Old 24 May 2006, 12:25 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reformat the ipod using the restore facility i think

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

hope that helps.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:32 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

You can put it in Diagnostic Mode - there's some details on the web. This will test the hard drive for faults.

I've been through 2 iPods, friends have had at least 1 replaced and one of the girls in the office bought a new Video iPod and it failed (hard disk) after 3 days. Never been impressed with iPod build quality and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. My 4th gen iPod feels much sturdier than my gf's brand new Video one.

If you're feeling handy, you could fit a new hard disk yourself - there's kits available on the web to do it.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Here is how to put the iPod into diagnostic mode, as mentioned above, do this, run the HD test, see what happens.

As also mentioned, try the restore on it. It could be the partition map is corrupted, that happened on my iPod.

As it's out of warranty then, depending on how hand you are, you could replace the hard drive, it's not too difficult, hell, if I can do it then anyone can. I replaced the 40GB drive in my 4th Gen iPod with a 60GB from a 4th Gen iPod Photo (could also have been from a 5th Gen iPod Video, not totally sure to be honest) and it works quite happily.

Going back to the original topic, if you launch iTunes holding down option and shift (not sure what it would be on the PC though, check the help options) then it will not auto-sync the ipod, that will allow you to get into the options and turn off the auto-sync, thus preserving anything that was on the ipod.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:55 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan C
Like the Unix operating system, the iPod OS is tempremental and it expects the user to have a complete understanding of how it all bolts together.. one mistake and 'Boom'... You've lost data or killed the device.
UNIX temperamental? I believe you just don't know how to use it, and blame your lack of skills on the OS
Old 24 May 2006, 01:04 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Sorry but some of the advice on this thread is frightening.

Diagnostic mode will not help you in this situation besides its only there for Apple employees as the codes are pretty difficult to get to grips with - even if you have the so called "correct" interpretations on the web.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the very beginning of your problem your best bet would have been to use a data rescue programme to try and pull back the files that had been deleted from your iPod. As you had only written 4 new tracks you would have probably stood a decent chance of getting at least some of them back. I doubt now though that with what you have been doing you will get much back at all as ther will have been quite a few rewrites.

Your best course of action now is to visit an Apple store if there is one nearby http://www.apple.com/uk/retail. Book an appointment at the genius bar and let them know your iPods hard drive appears to have failed. Explain you have followed all the instructions here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ and that your warranty expired just 10 days ago. No matter what, they will try and fix it (although they aren't allowed to retrieve your songs - they will probably get it working again). If you are lucky they might even replace it.

Good luck
Old 24 May 2006, 02:03 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

never use the autosync function - set itunes to "manual" & it won't happen again. bit more of a faff but you won't accidentally lose your music when you clear out itunes library.

here endeth the lesson.
Old 24 May 2006, 02:09 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

dont people backup their files?

if my ipod and/or pc was lost i would just download of my backup drive, which itself updates every night - i thought "back up your files" was rule 1 of pc's for dummies?
Old 24 May 2006, 02:11 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

This all makes me glad I haven't got one. People bang on about the smashing interface, but there are 20+ posts of conflicting advice on this thread already, culminating in someone saying you should take it to an Apple shop!
Old 24 May 2006, 02:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

After spending ages importing my CD's a back up was a no brainer. That's one copy on my Mac, one on my PC, one on DVD and one on my iPod.
Old 24 May 2006, 02:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The initial issue was caused by the default behaviour of iTunes, which is to automatically sync the music in the Library on your computer with the connected iPod *replacing* all of the music on the existing iPod. This is done, I assume, as Apple deems this a nice thing for users. You have your music in iTunes, your shiny new iPod and you want all your music on the iPod, so plug it in, name it, and let it do it's thing.
The latest version of iTunes does prompt when it finds a new iPod if you wish to enable automatic sync, so you can turn that off. I'm not sure if earlier versions had this option when it first sees an iPod though.

The stupid part about this is if your Library happens to be empty, the contents of the iPod will be deleted.

Some say the idea here is to stop piracy, but I can't see how really, as you cannot copy the music from the iPod into iTunes using iTunes.

That is also another factor governing backups. iTunes does not allow you to copy from the iPod to your computer, you need third-party software to do that. Combine this with the auto-sync and if you have to restore your computer then there is a recipie for disaster.
Old 24 May 2006, 02:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Default delete is bad software design, if the software is going to start deleting anything it ought to be warning you unless you have chosen to switch the warning off.

I didn't go for an iPOD and funnily enough I've never had any of these synching issues with my cheap and cheerful MP3 player, just drag and drop a copy of what I want on to my device, job done, and vice versa if I want.

Quick Reply: iPod - I'm about to cry!