Mental Health Reforms Bill scrapped

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2006, 08:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mental Health Reforms Bill scrapped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4835484.stm

"The government is expected to abandon its Mental Health Bill - despite spending eight years and millions of pounds preparing it.
Ministers are expected to concede they cannot get it through Parliament and move to amend existing health laws.

Proposals could include locking up people with personality disorders for more than 28 days without appeal.

That would likely face a challenge under human rights legislation, BBC home affairs editor Mark Easton said. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The reforms came about as a result of Michael Stone's 1998 conviction for the brutal murders of Lin and Megan Russell.

Actually i am not knocking the government, they seemed to have tried pretty hard to get this through but yet again Human Rights gets in the way of public safety and the safety of the mentally ill.

I have limited experience of the mentally illl however i was attacked in the street by a mentally ill woman who tried to push me into the road infront of a car. I was saved by my mate who held onto me and pulled me out of the way.
Also
My mother also suffers from Bi Polar disorder and has medication to treat this. She is fine whilst taking her meds but becomes depressed irrational and sometimes violent when she does not.
We had to have her sectioned at one time due to her being a danger to herself and others and she tried to take her own life on more than on occasion!
Trying to get her sectioned was a knightmare and only happened after she attacked someone FFS!

The bill would have allowed (amongst other things) the compulsary medication of the mentally ill and easier to section and hold them which in 'our' case would have been a good idea.

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 March 2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 23 March 2006, 09:47 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Funny how TBs much trumpted Human Rights blows holes in his own legislation. Guess he doesnt see the irony though.

It concentrates so much on the individuals rights, it ignores the rights of socity though
Old 24 March 2006, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that legislation like that could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. I seem to remember that the USSR used to put people away for their own convenience with similar laws.

Les
Old 24 March 2006, 11:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think that legislation like that could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. I seem to remember that the USSR used to put people away for their own convenience with similar laws.

Les
As did the ***** in Germany in the 30's

THEY also had VERY strict ID cards, encouraged their citizens to "tell tales" about anything from crime to tax evasion..............hold on, does this ring any bells?

Alcazar
Old 24 March 2006, 07:28 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Can't believe they scrapped it, would have made the job slightly easier to do IMHO.

Just got to stick with the well out of date 1983 MHA then