Mobile phone problems, legal standpoint

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2006, 11:58 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile phone problems, legal standpoint

Hi All,

Quick question I hope someone can help with.

Around December of last year I got the girlfriend a Hot Pink Motorola flip phone. Fine, great

However within a few weeks it had gone faulty and was disconnecting calls at random. So they "shouldn't do it" but they gave her a new handset. Thing is, the same thing has just started to happen with this one. And although it was faulty, it had only been used for the last two weeks for other reasons.

Now she doesnt want this phone now, as it does seem like its an issue with that model of phone.

Carphone Warehouse are giving me the runaround and the gimp in store claims both the manager and the assistant manager are off (BS I say) They offered a repair, but would take 2 weeks and the temp replacement phone would be £50 for a £20 phone. However if they were not being such c*nts they can actually do an expediated 24 hour turnaround

Now looking at this sale of goods act outline http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm, it would seem that we are not able to just get either a new phone (ie different phone) or a refund.

My contract is with them and I stated this, not Motorola. But they wouldnt do a thing!

But the thing is we are not confident in the phone at all, we dont want to wait another 6 weeks for it to go faulty again !

I also paid for it on a CC. Im tempted to initiate a chargeback against em and see how they like them eggs.

Any thoughs/ideas/suggestions ?
Old 23 March 2006, 03:32 PM
methodman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi All,

Quick question I hope someone can help with.

Around December of last year I got the girlfriend a Hot Pink Motorola flip phone. Fine, great

However within a few weeks it had gone faulty and was disconnecting calls at random. So they "shouldn't do it" but they gave her a new handset. Thing is, the same thing has just started to happen with this one. And although it was faulty, it had only been used for the last two weeks for other reasons.

Now she doesnt want this phone now, as it does seem like its an issue with that model of phone.

Carphone Warehouse are giving me the runaround and the gimp in store claims both the manager and the assistant manager are off (BS I say) They offered a repair, but would take 2 weeks and the temp replacement phone would be £50 for a £20 phone. However if they were not being such c*nts they can actually do an expediated 24 hour turnaround

Now looking at this sale of goods act outline http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm, it would seem that we are not able to just get either a new phone (ie different phone) or a refund.

My contract is with them and I stated this, not Motorola. But they wouldnt do a thing!

But the thing is we are not confident in the phone at all, we dont want to wait another 6 weeks for it to go faulty again !

I also paid for it on a CC. Im tempted to initiate a chargeback against em and see how they like them eggs.

Any thoughs/ideas/suggestions ?
well you`ve got a years warrenty but thats with motorola, send it back to them, al you do is call them up, and they give you a ref/address to send it back to for repair, i think the car phone warehouse only offer you a refund/new handset in the first 28 days,
Old 23 March 2006, 03:36 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Are you insured for accidnetal loss and damage?

Chuck it down the toilet!

EDITIED TO SAY Drop it down the toilet one night after the pub!
Old 23 March 2006, 05:09 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Motorola's UK repair centre is pretty good, I'd contact them directly (details on http://www.motorola.co.uk ) and explain the problem. Their turnaround is pretty quick.

Might also be worth mentioning this, in case your phone is part of the affected batch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4801266.stm

Generally V3's are are a very good phone, apart from the batch in the story above I'm not aware of any other "common" faults with them.