Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New York

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2006, 08:38 PM
I want to believe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York

off to the "Big Apple" next week, what should I see and what should I miss?
Old 26 March 2006, 09:09 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

do a search and you will find lots of threads about this.
Old 26 March 2006, 09:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Anything and everything
You will always find somewhere or something interesting there just by walking about.
Ive been to NY 4 times this year already.....back again in 3 weeks. Best city in the world.

Usual big city rules apply- although it feels far safer than most. Dont go any higher than 110th street on your own, and definitely not after dark. Same goes for the park at night.
Old 26 March 2006, 09:21 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Go for a run around the reservoir at the top end of Central Park - pretend you're Dustin Hoffman in 'Marathon Man' (the Turtles in the lake can substitute for Lawrence Olivier).

First time I did this at daybreak was the first time I 'got' Noo Yoik.
Old 26 March 2006, 09:30 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

The Cow Girl Ranch

Cannot remember where it was so just ask a cabbie..........
Old 26 March 2006, 09:48 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Century 21 - Cheap department store next to Ground Zero.

B&H if you're into camera's
Old 27 March 2006, 01:55 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Obviously the Empire State, go up half an hour before sunset so you can see the view in the day, sunset and the lights coming on!

Also try the Rainbow Room, which is a cocktail bar near the top of Rockefeller, very nice ,although you will have to borrow a blazer from the maitre d, the view is immense!

Take a helicopter ride from the piers along the Hudson River, SW side of the island, will whip you over the statue of Liberty and up Manhattan for twenty minutres. Awesome!

Get the taxi or limo driver to take you down onto the bank of the East River if you are coming in from JFK to get some great photos before you cross the bridge, this is where they shoot the skyline from in the films, friends etc mainly!

5th Avenue is the place to shop and a horse and carriage around Central Park is nice.

New York is very safe, policemen every twenty yards, literally, but just use common sense with bags and cameras, use of maps etc. Safer than London, I'd say! Canal St is the place for moody watches and the like!

If I think of any more.............
Old 27 March 2006, 04:10 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Policemen every twenty yards: that reminds me..
Dont forget to say cheese when you walk through airport security ready for facial recognition and dont get too much sweat on the digital fingerprint readouts either. Personally id be more concearned about where this info is kept and will be going in the near future rather than the holiday. At least you will be safe in the knowledge that everything about your 2-3 week visit will be monitored and indefinatly stored due to the orchestrated events post 911, this includes where you stay, how much you spend, what you eat, your telephone calls and credit card usage.. ohh yeh and a detailed check of you and your family/friends back here in Britain.. (all documented in the news papers about 2 years ago)..Sounds like fun? wait till you have ARMED secret service agents jump on ya back for filming or taking photos of landmarks for your photo album claiming all the long that its in the interests of national security.. Fun times all round? Think the yanks have gone way over the top myself..lol.. Have a nice trip mate..
Old 28 March 2006, 10:50 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Dont forget to say cheese when you walk through airport security ready for facial recognition and dont get too much sweat on the digital fingerprint readouts either. Personally id be more concearned about where this info is kept and will be going in the near future rather than the holiday. At least you will be safe in the knowledge that everything about your 2-3 week visit will be monitored and indefinatly stored due to the orchestrated events post 911, this includes where you stay, how much you spend, what you eat, your telephone calls and credit card usage.. ohh yeh and a detailed check of you and your family/friends back here in Britain.. (all documented in the news papers about 2 years ago)..Sounds like fun? wait till you have ARMED secret service agents jump on ya back for filming or taking photos of landmarks for your photo album claiming all the long that its in the interests of national security.. Fun times all round? Think the yanks have gone way over the top myself..lol.. Have a nice trip mate..
Sounds pretty much like the UK anyway to me...

John.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yep...NY is so quite nowadays with all the strict rules. place will be like a ghost town, silly yanks.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:16 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

So what? I've never done anything wrong and have nothing to fear.

I went 6 weeks ago, saw NO police at all on the subway, just as many police around Times Square as there would be in Picadilly Circus, most of these seemed to be fat and more interested in chatting with each other, and apart from the pointless security for the Statue of Liberty found the whole trip to be very relaxed with no visible interference at all. No way was anything over the top.

Fantastic place.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:07 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Fantastic place.
I agree. By far the best city of any I've visited. Can't wait to go back.

John.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:40 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

wasnt that impressed by NY when i went recently.
i think i would have been preety bored if i had stayed any longer.

best city ive visited has to be hong kong
Old 30 March 2006, 07:42 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Start spreading the news.............I'm leaving today................
Old 31 March 2006, 04:20 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Sounds pretty much like the UK anyway to me...

John.
Just a matter of time before the uk follows suit mate
Old 31 March 2006, 04:24 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
So what? I've never done anything wrong and have nothing to fear.
Thats the usual cop-out mate.. neither did the Jews or any other under authoritarian rule yet look what happened on some of those fronts.. One minor step outta line and its bye bye freedom hello life imprisionment or worse still execution under a secret government which by the way exists in the land of the so called free...ahemm!!!
Old 31 March 2006, 10:02 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

First They Came for the Jews.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Old 31 March 2006, 10:07 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Aye, nice quote mate, pretty much spot on, chilling even

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 March 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 31 March 2006, 10:09 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And just who are "they"?
Old 31 March 2006, 05:37 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

They = In Niemöller's case the German government (****'s).. He didnt speak out when political opponents of the **** party were imprisoned but did when members of his church were arrested then almost straight after he was arrested and imprisoned..

In other words i gather he was saying, people dont have a projected vision and wont speak out until it affects them thus then its too late..