Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone completely changed career?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 04:41 PM
Ian Payne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone completely changed career?

Just wondered really as I am looking to do something else but have no idea where to start.

I'm 25, been in the same sales job for nearly 5 years and do 'OK'!! Big problem is I have a mortgage to pay (by myself). I would love to retrain as a chartered surveyor but looks like that is out of the question.

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by Ian Payne; 27 March 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 27 March 2006, 05:21 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Why out of the question?
Have you looked into it?
There could be any numbers of ways of training.
I'd do some research if I was you.

I changed careers last year.
I went from a s**t dead end job to the begining of a really good career
Old 27 March 2006, 05:22 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

The problem will always be that you are fairly established in your sales role, and to change career would most likely mean either returning to education or starting at the bottom again, therefore a drastic drop in salary.

However, what sort of sales are you in? If you do well, there are many, many jobs you can change to, and almost an endless number of industries that you can tune your skills for. Admittedly you probably won't be able to progress to a chartered surveyor from sales, but you could certainly move into housing, construction or real estate as an entry to what you want to do........

Alternatively sell your house, move back with your parents and go to uni!
Old 27 March 2006, 05:31 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

A pal has just gone from being a clerical assistant to working offshore. Mind you, his paw is high up in the company he is now working for, so that helped.
Old 27 March 2006, 05:53 PM
Ian Payne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Why out of the question?
Have you looked into it?
There could be any numbers of ways of training.
I'd do some research if I was you.

I changed careers last year.
I went from a s**t dead end job to the begining of a really good career

May not be completely out of the question, it just seems everything in that area is geared for graduates etc. Waiting to hear back from the Royal Instistution of Chartered Surveyors to see what they have to say.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep looking in to it.

Ian
Old 27 March 2006, 05:57 PM
Ian Payne
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
The problem will always be that you are fairly established in your sales role, and to change career would most likely mean either returning to education or starting at the bottom again, therefore a drastic drop in salary.

However, what sort of sales are you in? If you do well, there are many, many jobs you can change to, and almost an endless number of industries that you can tune your skills for. Admittedly you probably won't be able to progress to a chartered surveyor from sales, but you could certainly move into housing, construction or real estate as an entry to what you want to do........

Alternatively sell your house, move back with your parents and go to uni!

That's exactly the problem, I have to weigh up pro's and cons of such a drastic career change. Re: sales role, it is telephone sales but with a decent commission structure. Unfortunately due to problems at home moving back in with the 'rents can't be done.

I will look in to the housing/construction side of things - thanks for the advice.

Ian
Old 27 March 2006, 06:02 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

If you enjoy sales, try a different field - try cars, or phones or Electrical goods or finance.
Old 27 March 2006, 06:19 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

You should job hop if your good. Many younguns do it, changing job every year and moving on up as they do it.
Old 27 March 2006, 06:41 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

I want to be a housewife with no kids and a rich husband. Does that count?
Old 27 March 2006, 06:42 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I was a Welder/Fabricator for 8 years, i wanted to change to an office job, preferably computer based for the last 2 years i was doing it. Being finished at christmas, although prevented me from leaving on my own terms still gave me the push and was probably what i needed. Ive now being working in a CAD office as a Drawing Controller for the last few weeks. Come summer ill have a right good think about what im doing and i may do a CAD course. Im also 25.

Last edited by 16vmarc; 27 March 2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 27 March 2006, 06:43 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

To cut a long story short, back in 99 I resigned from a job as an IFA, I sold my house, paid off debt and went travelling for a year. When I returned I went to do a masters in IT full time and from there I secured a graduate IT job. Upsides? I have a proper career now and earn more than I used to. Downsides? Selling the house and paying for everything out of the equity means that I am still a 'renter' but am buying later this year!!
Old 27 March 2006, 07:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
I am still a 'renter'
Wow. That is a downer - watch those LibDem MPs
Old 27 March 2006, 07:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

lets see...

done it 5 times....to date....

a couple of them were radical changes, some natural progression.

the role is immaterial, if you can apply your skill set

mart
Old 27 March 2006, 08:23 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

My bruv was a chef for many, many years. Then he re-trained to be a ........ Driving instructor ! And a very successful one too.
Yve
Old 27 March 2006, 09:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
My bruv was a chef for many, many years. Then he re-trained to be a ........ Driving instructor ! And a very successful one too.
Yve

and you mock my grammar

Mart
Old 27 March 2006, 09:25 PM
Kroy
Scooby Regular

I was a Car machanic for 7 years and got pretty good at it too, but got bord and fed up of the cr*p wages, left the trade and got a job as an Trainee Airconditioning/Refrigeration Engineer at the age of 23, took a big drop in wages for 12 months, but now Im 30 years old and the Service Manager for a large Refrigeration company and earning lots of££££££££, If you dont like your job change your career now before you get too old, I did, and feel much happier
Old 27 March 2006, 11:13 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

I'm in my fourth career now. I joined the Royal Marines after A levels, finished and worked in management/recruitment/aviation consultancy then fell into IT before becoming a journalist.

There's been quite a lot of crossover between them but they are all very different and I started at or near the bottom each time. Find something you enjoy and have aknack at and it doesn't take long to get up beyond where you were before the change.

And if you stop enjoying it then change over again...

Before you do it, though, take stock of where you are and work out what you actually *need* to take home each month to keep your head above water. It'll be less than you think. A mate of mine has just gone through this exercise because she hated her job but couldn't afford to leave (it pays around £35K). She discovered that she actually only *needs* £15400 - that's just £8.50 an hour. So she quit and is happy as anything temping for £10 an hour 5 minutes from home. No politics, no commute, no hassle.

It's an extreme case but it's a good example

SB
Old 27 March 2006, 11:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Been there,done it!
If you are fed up with what you are doing,you can make changes.You can retrain on part-time basis while you keep up with this job.
Just as well you are on your own.You can put time into it without any pressure.as someone said here,research the training opportunities and go for it!
Good luck
Old 28 March 2006, 12:00 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
I want to be a housewife with no kids and a rich husband. Does that count?
LOL Brumsie!

Been there and done that too in 1st marriage.
Got bored to death at home! It was boring to read fashion mags and going shopping,booking holidays etc.Needed to feel that i was alive!
So,got back into working.
Hope you get rich houseband.

Last edited by Turbohot; 28 March 2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:11 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
LOL Brumsie!

Been there and done that too in 1st marriage.
Got bored to death at home! It was boring to read fashion mags and going shopping,booking holidays etc.Needed to feel that i was alive!
So,got back into working.
Hope you get rich houseband.

Sounds terrible!

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 28 March 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

At 25 you should have nothing to fear about making a big change - you have plenty of time to steer to a new course!

At the age of 44 I walked out of a corporate career I had built through a number of companies over 20 years.

The key is to be really drawn to what you want to do. If you want to move because you are bored with what you have today you are less likely to be successful.

If you are drawn to something you really want to do then you will break down all the barriers to make it happen.

I did this to set up my own company in a different field with a heavy mortgage and a first baby on the way - looking back it has been the best decision I can remember making!

Decide what you want to do and step up - you will not regret it. And if something gets in the way then find another way to achieve - there is a always a way to get what you want if you want it enough.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:28 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

You can retrain as a chratered surveyor while working.

Several universities do part time surveying courses, and it's not uncommon for companies to fund the course for you while you're working for them.

(If you're in the North West, I can name 2 universities off the top of my head).

John.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:57 AM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
To cut a long story short, back in 99 I resigned from a job as an IFA, I sold my house, paid off debt and went travelling for a year. When I returned I went to do a masters in IT full time and from there I secured a graduate IT job. Upsides? I have a proper career now and earn more than I used to. Downsides? Selling the house and paying for everything out of the equity means that I am still a 'renter' but am buying later this year!!
You cant have been a very good IFA - There is no money in IT - Not even in the slightest on the same scale of an IFA - Find this quite hard to believe to be honest.
Old 28 March 2006, 12:46 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

up until november I was an IT techie..........I moved into IT sales - it has basically worked out - Im not doing badly, problem is I hate the cold calling and know that I CANT do this for life - Im now trying to move back!

Go VERY careful - Im sure you can do it just make sure its going to be right an that you are sure its the one for you

As much as I wish Id never made my move I see it as a learning experience - nothing to lose as such...........you live and learn, I wouldnt have known unless I tried
Old 28 March 2006, 03:23 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

A Belgian friend of a mate was working in a museum in Belgium, visited Scotland for the first time last November and decided he was gonna move over here. 4months later he is working in IT support for Intel in Greenock.