Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Toyota RAV4 - comments?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2001, 08:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My girlfriend has at last decided to get herself a car. We've considered / looked at Saxo's, 106's, polo's golf's, 323's, erm the lot really! Flavour of the hour is the Rav4. I've been in one before and they're not bad! Reasonably quick, handling OK for a mini 4x4 IMO.

So we're looking at one this afternoon. She's on a budget of £6-7k so that means a 5ish year old 3dr, GX hopefully.

Anyone had one of these before? all comments appreciated! any problems / niggles to look out for?

Thanks

Justin
Old 25 October 2001, 09:01 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My wife has an M reg 1995 Met Blue GX 3 door...& loves it.
She has had it for 2 years - utterly reliable. She loves the high driving position & the performance (while not blistering, it can annoy golf GTi's !)
Its so versitile too - Seats fold flat so it becomes a serious load lugger if needed.
In fact our only gripe is that its now not big enough for our 2 kids - so she is getting a 5 door one soon !
I use it a bit at weekends & its comphy & economical (not fantastic but I guess the 4wd doesn't help that)
We have the side & front bars fitted which have saved the front many a tine from "spirited parking!"

BTW - its quite quick up to 60 (8.8 secs I think - but is a little slow from 70 - 100 not that you need to go over 70.......

All in all we are very pleased & are getting another - which speaks volumes.

Hope that helps.

Ro.
Old 25 October 2001, 09:58 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

Ro, it certainly does help

I hear they are quite noisy on the motorway but bearable, is that about right? Then again she's used to a fully decatted WRX

Justin
Old 25 October 2001, 10:25 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

A little noisy - to be honest with kids/wife/sterio etc I dont notice it !
It cruises happily at 80-85 mph & there is a bit of wind noise but nothing excessive.
Make sure you include a motorway on the test drive (& make sure the salesman shuts up !) to gauge for yourself.
Ours has just had its 3rd MOT & sailed through.

The double sunroofs are pretty cool too !

Ro.
Old 25 October 2001, 11:18 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Based upon long term ownership.
My female cousin owned a GX, for a number of years and my wife subsequently bought a Rav Max. (Although she was supposed to be looking for a Celica when she went in.)

Purchased in November I expected it to be changed for something more appropriate come Spring. She kept it three years!
Loved the driving position/performance and would happily take on XR2/3s at the lights and from dreading snow started to enjoy driving in it. Never complained about motorway noise and she did get pulled a 94 on the M6, so she ought to know

After sales was excellent, top notch customer care & dealer pricing reasonable. Car was moved on to the cousin, who ran it for 18 months till, like my wife she bought a scooby.

Neither had any mechanical or build problems during ownership but the cars didn't do much off road work. Get used to the body roll & they handle quite well, but will squeal & destroy tyres......if you try to take islands in the same manner as a certain four wheel drive saloon

The three door is v.short on luggage space with the seats up and will readily deposit the weeks shopping and selection wines, at your feet when you open the rear door. The luggage rail and cover is a worthwhile investment!

Go for a good example with full dealer history and I think you'll be OK. Ltd editions have the horrid grey plastic painted and come with a/c & cd player as std.
Old 25 October 2001, 12:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Smile

Great stuff.

Don't suppose you guys know about the service intervals and the like? More than likely the car would have done, say 50k miles so is there a 'biggie' service around then? Things like belts/shocks etc

Any decent website that you know of? I've had a search but not had much joy..

Thanks

Justin
Old 25 October 2001, 02:14 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Justin,

Give any Toyota Dealer a call and they'll let you know.

Wife and I had a 97 3door GS (no electric pack or sunroof) and loved it to bits.

As has been said they are very reliable, good paint, reasonably cheap to service and insure.

3dr's don't have much space, but we ran with the rear seats folded away most of the time. It was our only car and was fine for the two of us. Definately agree with getting the luggage retainer.

Rear diff is quite flexibly mounted, so you may get a thunk on upshifts, more felt than heard. There is a dealer mod fix for this. Clearly if its really bad, or noisy, there may be other problems.

Not great for serious off roading, but fine for parking in fields, going up forest tracks, etc.

If you get too much roll then suggest springs/dampers may be on way out.

Very neutral handling and low tyre wear. Could be easily held in 4 wheel drifts. Rear end has a lot of positive camber, looks quite odd at first, but perfectly normal.

Sold it after 2 years and 25000 miles......cos the scoob was coming

Would I have another one, you bet

In fact, got one with new job. New style 3Dr NRG in black - the one with the body colour bits, rear spoiler, wheel arch extentions, big alloys, and CD. Can't fault it (maybe a bit thirsty) and perfect compliment to the Integra.

D
Old 26 October 2001, 01:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, I'll answer some of my questions

Servicing every 9000 miles, every 3rd service is more comprehensive, cambelt at 63000.

We test drove 3 yesterday, on 2 of them there was a high pitch transmission whine (seemed to come from the back) when accelerating hard at the top of the rev range. Almost sounded like a whistle. Didn't do it when you took it easy through the rev range. Any ideas?

One of them has aftermarket alloys on with wider, low profile tyres - rolling radius must have been much smaller than standard and the wheels looked heavy. Handling was awful! Shame as it was the best kept of the bunch.

More to see on Saturday!

Justin
Old 29 October 2001, 10:32 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bought one!

Platinum Grey (silver) N reg 3 door GX with 53,000 miles, fTsh including the 54k service. Heather has read this thread and says thanks for all your comments To say she is very happy with her new purchase is an understatement!

Cheers

Justin
Old 29 October 2001, 09:00 PM
chelsie_uk
Scooby Regular

Yes I too love the Rav4, have you seen the new one?
I carn't think weather or not I like the older shape better but their both two doors.
I don't want the big one I like the small sporty one best, probley not as fast as the scooby yet

but who knows one day may be.

chel xxx