Shotgun Licence/Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2006, 11:18 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun Licence/Certificate

Who on here's got one?

My uncle is very ill at the moment and would like me and my brother to take responsibility for his shotguns to keep them in the family.

How much of a job is it to get the licence? I probably won't use them but want to keep them in good condition. He's got a .22 Live Rifle that needs getting rid of but I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

My bro shouldn't have any problems getting his licence as he works in CID but will they give one to me just because I want one or do I have to have proper reasons i.e clay shooting/pest control?

Cheers
Andy
Old 22 April 2006, 11:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Two types of cert:

FAC (Firearms Certificate) needed for rifles e.g. centrefire, rimfire, air rifles over 12ft/lbs, pistols (yes some people can still be approved) - You need to give good reason to get one e.g. club member, firearm approved land etc. A lot harder to get and have to choose specific calibres for different uses.

SGC (Shotgun Certificate) needed for max 3 shot shotguns inc semi-autos, over & under, pump action etc (if you want more than 3 shots you need a Section 1 FAC) - the police have to prove you are unsuitable but its common sense that they arent going to look too kindly towards someone who says "I just want one" rather than I shoot clays, pheasants, vermin etc.

You simply apply. Police firearms officer visits your house to interview you, check security (you will need an approved gun safe fitted securely). As long as your not a nutter, have a criminal record, mental history etc you will be fine. Always best to speak to your firearms officer first as they differ from county to county on what they specifically look for. You dont want to install a safe only for them to say they dont think its in a suitable location.

Any other questions let me know.

Simon.
Old 22 April 2006, 11:49 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

You may find it possible to get a 3month temporary licence if things check out. Usually the officers in charge firearms certificates are quite helpful in giving advice on what to do (well, ours is anyway), so you may as well call them - you'll need to get in touch with them anyway first as last to notify them of the change in circumstances.
Old 23 April 2006, 04:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

To be honest, it's a piece of pi55 to get a licence, as long as your in a gun club. I got mine a couple years ago. All that happens is that they sent an office from the fire arms devision round to your house to ask you questions. All these are for is to make sure your not some kind of nutter. You will have to prove where the guns will be stored, where you plan to use them etc. They ask you questions on your attitude towards guns. They will determine if you get one or not.

If your not in a gun club, then it will be hard for them to justify giving you a licence. Why does he need guns if he isn't going to use them??

Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on.
Old 23 April 2006, 05:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
To be honest, it's a piece of pi55 to get a licence, as long as your in a gun club. I got mine a couple years ago. All that happens is that they sent an office from the fire arms devision round to your house to ask you questions. All these are for is to make sure your not some kind of nutter. You will have to prove where the guns will be stored, where you plan to use them etc. They ask you questions on your attitude towards guns. They will determine if you get one or not.

If your not in a gun club, then it will be hard for them to justify giving you a licence. Why does he need guns if he isn't going to use them??

....except where you have your own land and will use them there. A lot of people around here have licenses and have never even been near a gun club. Indeed it is de riguer to have a shotgun, black labrador, bashed up 20 year old 4x4 and a waxed jacket of long and unknown origin just to remotely fit in!
Old 23 April 2006, 05:51 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

We live in a pretty remote area, there's fields/woods and moors in front and behind the house so it's easy to find a bit of land (with farmer's permission) to go shooting on. plus theres a gun club on the top of the hill about 2 miles away so I should be OK with places to shoot nearby if I did want to have a go.
Old 23 April 2006, 05:52 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

P.S. Cheers for the advice so far lads!
Old 23 April 2006, 06:04 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

CooperS : you mention hills.....so you probably don't live in Lincolnshire. Here, there is only one guy who is the inspector for firearms certs and he can take an age to get round to you. Also a word of warning; he called in on a fellow's house to check it out recently and the chap wasn't home, just his old mum. When the bloke said who he was and what he was there for, she said " oh yes, well, I know where he keeps the key......." That was the end of his quest for a cert.
Yve
Old 23 April 2006, 07:01 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Derbyshire, not far from Stockport/Manchester
Old 23 April 2006, 08:26 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Two types of cert:

FAC (Firearms Certificate) needed for rifles e.g. centrefire, rimfire, air rifles over 12ft/lbs, pistols (yes some people can still be approved) - You need to give good reason to get one e.g. club member, firearm approved land etc. A lot harder to get and have to choose specific calibres for different uses.

SGC (Shotgun Certificate) needed for max 3 shot shotguns inc semi-autos, over & under, pump action etc (if you want more than 3 shots you need a Section 1 FAC) - the police have to prove you are unsuitable but its common sense that they arent going to look too kindly towards someone who says "I just want one" rather than I shoot clays, pheasants, vermin etc.

You simply apply. Police firearms officer visits your house to interview you, check security (you will need an approved gun safe fitted securely). As long as your not a nutter, have a criminal record, mental history etc you will be fine. Always best to speak to your firearms officer first as they differ from county to county on what they specifically look for. You dont want to install a safe only for them to say they dont think its in a suitable location.

Any other questions let me know.

Simon.
Correct, although it was some years ago that I aquired mine. I never told them about the sawn off I bought off a geezer in Camden Town though
Old 23 April 2006, 09:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

You do not need to be a member of a club for a SGC. I just said I wanted to get back into clay shooting and listed a few places Id been and borrowed a club gun.

FAC is diff. Club membership or FAC approved land is normally required. To get in a club you normally have to do a probationary period of a few months.

Simon.
Old 23 April 2006, 09:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
....except where you have your own land and will use them there. A lot of people around here have licenses and have never even been near a gun club. Indeed it is de riguer to have a shotgun, black labrador, bashed up 20 year old 4x4 and a waxed jacket of long and unknown origin just to remotely fit in!
Yeh, obviously I don't know where CooperS lives. All I was saying was that if you are a member of a Gun club (If you don't have land) it will be easier to get a SGC.
Old 24 April 2006, 08:50 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

manchester police wonderfull people (ho ho ho ) bit strick westyorkshire much better for this sort of thing
Old 24 April 2006, 09:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

It's .22 long rifle, not live rifle BTW

Some forces take a long while to process applications.

SGC is *relatively* easy, but difficult to get FAC straight off.

Easiest thing may be to get a RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer) to look after them in the short to mid term.

Apparition is correct re keys. My gunsafe keys are never left in the houise when I am out, the spare set are off site, and my partner doesn't know where they are nor am I intending to tell her. When the firearms liaison officer comes round (which is unannounced) she can genuinely say she has no idea where I keep the keys.
Old 16 June 2006, 08:43 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Update :

Licence has now arrived, thanks to everyone for their advice.

I did put down sentimental reasons on the application, the firearms liaison officer who came down had known my uncle for years and was happy to see me taking them on.

Went to pick the guns up from my uncle and found a sack with about 500 .303 bullets in it from his old rifle oops!!

My bro's going to get his part one so he can take the .22 long rifle over.

Happy days!