Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bad Debt Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 02:53 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad Debt Insurance

We've just had another company go bust on us owing us about £20k, and this is the 4th year on the trot that we've had a bad debt, so I was thinking of ways to protect the business in the form of bad debt insurance, as it just seems like I've been working for years for absolutely f**k all. Our bank, the set of tossers that they are, have lowered our company overdraft and want us to go into invoice financing. Now we don't really have so much of a problem with credit control and it seems to me that the bank just want even more control over our company's finances. The invoice financing deal also includes bad debt insurance which is the only attractive part of the deal taking into account current events.

Does anyone have any experience of insuring against bad debts and can they make any recommendations ? I'm also thinking of switching banks as I seriously would not **** in my bank managers mouth if his teeth caught fire, the number-crunching ******* that he is.
Old 24 April 2006, 03:11 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Hi MJW. I know what it's like with bad debts, my business went through similar phase in early 90's when firms were going bust regularly. We also considered factoring, though bad debt insurance wasn't a part of the deal then.

It seems strange your bank wanting to reduce your o/d, I think I'd be having a quiet word with a couple of other banks to see what they could offer.

Haven't come across any insurance I'm afraid but I'm sure if it exists then SN will reveal a source!

I hope the bad debt isn't too much of a body blow and that you come out of your corner fighting!

CC
Old 24 April 2006, 04:02 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
We've just had another company go bust on us owing us about £20k, and this is the 4th year on the trot that we've had a bad debt, so I was thinking of ways to protect the business in the form of bad debt insurance, as it just seems like I've been working for years for absolutely f**k all. Our bank, the set of tossers that they are, have lowered our company overdraft and want us to go into invoice financing. Now we don't really have so much of a problem with credit control and it seems to me that the bank just want even more control over our company's finances. The invoice financing deal also includes bad debt insurance which is the only attractive part of the deal taking into account current events.

Does anyone have any experience of insuring against bad debts and can they make any recommendations ? I'm also thinking of switching banks as I seriously would not **** in my bank managers mouth if his teeth caught fire, the number-crunching ******* that he is.
there are a number of credit insurers out there.

Euler Hermes and Marsh to name a couple.
Old 24 April 2006, 07:10 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Have you thought of factoring out your debtors