Cyprus and Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2006, 01:01 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyprus and Turkey

Has anybody heard of this rumour:

If you have visited turkey or have a turkish stamp on your passport you are not allowed into cyprus? or at least one side of it! ie the greek side!

and visa versa!

is this true?

We are thinking of a holiday in Cyprus but have also been to Turkey!

Adam
Old 23 May 2006, 07:11 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

It used to be true, not sure if it still holds though. I think it may be that if you visited the Turkish side of Cyprus they wont let you in the Greek side. Who knows..................?
Old 23 May 2006, 07:36 AM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

Don't think that's true anymore. My parents are living on the Greek side atm and have just come back from a 3 day holiday to the Turkish side.
Old 23 May 2006, 07:43 AM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

I remember years ago when I went to Cyprus for a holiday I went to see the border and it was patrolled by armed men cos you weren't allowed into the Turkish side but all that's changed now.
Old 23 May 2006, 08:17 AM
Reality
BANNED

Resricted Entry: (a) Holders of Former Yugoslav Republic passports bearing the stamp 'Macedonia'. (b) Holders of passports issued illegally by the 'Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus'. Other nationalities having stamps or visas of the 'Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus' in their passports are only allowed to enter Cyprus after the visas/stamps are cancelled by the Immigration Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus.

from http://destinia.com/guide/the-world/...004-30067/3/en
Old 23 May 2006, 10:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Reality's post sums it up. The Cypriots don't have a problem if you've been to Turkey. They do however (or did, relations seem to have thawed a little just recently), have a problem if you've been to the illegally occupied Turkish sector and had your passport stamped saying so!

You've obviously been asleep for a while, as it's been this way since 1973 when the Turks invaded the sovereign nation of Cyprus, and the spineless UN let them keep the bit they stole
Old 23 May 2006, 10:30 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Went to Rhodes a couple of years ago and was on the side closest to Turkey (right at the end of the clucking runway! ) Anyway you could see Turkey across the water quite clearly and it was a case of "How many warships can you spot today?"
Old 23 May 2006, 11:08 AM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

You've obviously been asleep for a while, as it's been this way since 1973 when the Turks invaded the sovereign nation of Cyprus, and the spineless UN let them keep the bit they stole

Not asleep my friend, just a little unsure of world politics nowadays.

Hence the question!

Thanks for the replys

Adam
Old 23 May 2006, 11:40 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Reality's post sums it up. The Cypriots don't have a problem if you've been to Turkey. They do however (or did, relations seem to have thawed a little just recently), have a problem if you've been to the illegally occupied Turkish sector and had your passport stamped saying so!

The ottoman turks had ruled over the island of cyprus since the late 15th century right up until 1914 when the British annexed it in 1914 due to the turks entry into the war.Cyprus never became a sovereign nation until 1960 (after years of terror attacks on British/Turkish citizens by eoka).
After independence the splinter group eoka B were set up demanding full Greek rule and started to terrorize the Turkish population. In 1974 the Turkish invaded citing eoka B's breach of the 1960 treaty of guarantee as the reason.

The Cypriots like to make themselves out as the victims,but it is not as black and white as they make it out to be. Indeed when i went on a tour of the Famagusta no mans land border we were told all about the evils of the Turkish army but not one mention of the eoka terrorist group. Until i asked the question about whether it was true or not that they sanctioned the killing of any British target as a legitimate target at which i got a big stoney glare
Old 23 May 2006, 11:56 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Went to Northern Cyprus last year and they stamped a separate piece of paper instead of my passport for that very reason.

Quite reasonable I thought...

On another tack, apparently a Greek fighter plane has just collided with a Turkish one somewhere over the Aegean. Fate and whereabouts of the aircrew still unknown. As they're both in NATO it could be interesting to see which side the Septics intervene for when it all gets ugly. My bet is on Turkey getting Uncle Sam's support because the USofA doesn't have many forward air bases in Greece.

SB
Old 23 May 2006, 12:04 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also stay out of trouble with the cypriot police,bent as a 3 bob note when it comes to foreign tourists. Fined me £50 for not wearing a helmet despite letting all the locals get away with it, when it became clear i did not have £50 on me thay took £30. I didnt get any paperwork or anything.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:32 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

it used to be true but its not anymore i went to turkey 2 weeks ago but ive been to cyprus 3 years ago but was staying in turkey so you should be ok