Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Raverbaby Event 3 6/5/6

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2006, 01:14 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Raverbaby Event 3 6/5/6

With the last Raverbaby solo event being held quite some time ago, in the now licenceless Empire in Milton Keynes, a new home had to be found. Collaboration events with HTID were not unenjoyable (quite the opposite in fact) but it was the solo events which really hit the spot for me, togther with well thought out lineup and sky high heat too.

However, it may have been a long time coming, but I was just happy that it was back again. Despite the changes that had been forced upon them, the promotors had upped the ante and came up with the goods.

First up, the venue. I actually liked the Empire, even if it was a little on the warm side, but this was not an option anymore. Enter the Brunel Rooms in Swindon, scene of many a happy night out in the past, but never the venue for a Raverbaby event. It was a brave decision with another promotion having pretty much exclusive rights on the place in terms of event association. Other events have been known to spectacularly crash and burn after attempting a night there, it would be interesting to see if the promotion could pull in the ravers.

One that would help was the lineup. With previous events leaving nothing to chance, I was expecting more of the same and I weren't dissapointed when the flyer landed in my hands. In a departure from previous events, it was not Hardcore all the way, but upfront in the main arena (natch) and Old Skool downstairs in the second room. The Shed bar would not host any music, but would house Air Records for the night.

Having said that though, one this I had to sort out which was totally detached from the rave, in more senses than one, was food! Trying to negotiate Swindon's main strip, at 10pm, complete with its attendent ropey women and idiotic has been blokes, desperate for a **** is difficult enough, but the indian at the other end was all worth it, especially when I'd not eaten all day.

However, nothing could prepare me for the return leg. Another full-on assault from Swindon's finest, another entrance to the venue (search free as well) and best of all, the moment when I entered the main room.

What a sight to behold, the place was rammed, the busiest I'd ever seen it in fact, with every spare corner of the place filled with ravers, as well as more than enough of the dancefloor which was placked and going for it. It was a sight to warm the heart, but it was shaking too much for that to happen, mainly due to the huge amount of bass rolling over the ravers, all of it coming from the one and only Breeze, who had just started on the kick off set.

Together with the compulsary appearence from MC Storm on the mic, Breeze was doing what he does best, namely get the party people raving, hard.
With an infectious mix of euphoric, vocal based upfront Hardcore in his arsenal, Breeze made short work of kicking the party, plumping for nothing but the biggest, baddest and bassiest tunes at his disposal, including "Crazy Love" the remix of "Connexions", "Getting better" and "Slide away". Storm for his efforts was more than on the case too, with "Dark Like Vader" and "Just Accept it" both getting dropped to an appreciative crowd.

Next up was a peak time shot for the JBZ crew, although in reality, it turned out to be Scottie B and Mantra on the decks and mic respectively, as well as the ever popular addition of MC Sharkey to compliment things.

Previous sets from Mantra have been well recieved from myself, as well as others in the Hardcore fraternity and Scottie B has not won best breakthrough MC for his good looks and charm, so I was more than happy to stand my ground and get on it for the next set.

It was a good decision too, with Mantra making good use of both kick and break driven tracks in his set, as well as a lot of tunes that were totally new to me, in addition to the rest of his energetic tune selection which got me moving to say the least, especially when it included the classic "Wham Bam", the upfront "Tripod" and the rushy "lets fly"

For the next DJ up, I had no plans to move at all, unless you count raving like a good'un. Why? cos Brisk and Wotsee were in the place, and that was all I needed to stay rooted to the spot. The ravers around me came to the same conclusion as well and we all got it on as one.

Best of all though, it was on of "those" sets, where I have not a clue what was played. Not a jot. I can't remember a thing about it apart from right at the start when he dropped "Still the one". Apart from that, I am clueness to the specifics of the set, but I know one thing, the combination of the music and Wotsee's effortless crowd hyping on the mic made for a set I cant remember, but I know I loved. Just wish I could remember a bit more about it!

It would have been rude (although understandable) to stay in the main arena all night, but I knew I had to get down to the Old Skool room at some point, and what better set to make the journey for than the rave legends that are Altern8? There are some things that are required when raving to Altern-8 so that ment getting the boilersuit and dust mask out and get down those stairs with all speed.

With the second arena presenting itself in a workmanlike manner and the DJ and MC both in full effect when I got there, the stage was set so I got down to business as Robbie Dee and (I think) Mark one busted out the tunes.
Classic Old skool from the word go, with a very personal twist toward the acid driven breaks that defined his music, Altern8's set was never going to be anything new, but throughly enjoyable and very danceable was easily within my grasp so I made the most of a rare opportunity to see a pair of REAL legends in the place.

Pair? Thats right, cos although only one half of Altern8 were in the place, Robbie Dee was on the mic and was on peak form throughout the set. While "Don't go" stood out as my personal favourite of what the DJ played, it was clear that Robbie favoured "The Bouncer" more with an effortless and awesome MC session, which centered on playing the part of a raver trying to gain entry, cutting it off when the vocals came in and announced "Your name's not down, you're not coming in".

Next up was a return trip to the main arena for the Nu Energy Collective Live PA. However I didn't get to see very much of it, but that was because I was back stage for most of the set, getting my costume on. Its not easy to put something on with no arm holes and even harder to keep your balance once you finally manage it, but with "Badger, Badger, Badger" getting dropped it was our turn, so together with My friend Mr. Mushroom and Mr. Badger, we went out and had it Hardcore. Well, as Hardcore as you can when you're dressed up as a 6 foot snake and look a complete bellend.

After taking it off and recovering from heat exhaustion thereof, it was time to get back on with the rave. Knew I was here for something. No more dressing up, it was time to get on it and doubly so in this case as Hixxy and Storm were on the case after I'd got my clothes back on.

As this was Hixxy's night, it was down to him to play to as higher standard as possible. I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't go away dissapointed either. Keeping it upfront, and rushy, but with the occasional tangent into the bouncy sound as well, Hixxy was out to get the ravers moving and as I was in the middle of them and going for it throughout, I'd say it worked.

As did Storm, who was not backward in coming forward when it was his time to work, made the most of the music on offer, like providing the live vocals for "Dark Like Vader" and "21'st century rush" as well as all the lyrical
confrontation you could handle with "Racial Harmony" and "Hardcore to the bone" while Hixxy mixed in "Save me", "I adore" and the VERY welcome inclusion of "Wonderful days"

For the 4am set, It was the turn of Scott Brown and Whizzkid to take over. I have a lot of time for these guys and not only do they work well together, they are acheiving levels of consistancy which are up near Sy and Storm levels. Best of all, I am a serious fan of Scott's tune selection with "Good Scott" being resident for 40 or so minutes while "This is how we do it", "higher love", "Elysium" and a remix of "The call" all got a showcase while "Evil Scott" showed his face for the last 20 or so minutes, where Gabba was at the forefront, none of which I recognised, apart from the sets finisher, a nice new remix of "Boomstick" if I'm not mistaken.

With 5am looming, it was last set time and with the arrival of Sy behind the decks, it was clear that things were going to be done properly, especially when Storm relieved Whizzkid of the mic to take over.

Its my favourite way to finish a rave and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sy has got the closing set down to a fine art and I have got loving it and going for it while till the final tune down even more. Storm, of course, is at his best and in his element for the final hour and all of it made raving mandatory.

Starting off with my personal favourite remix of the moment, Fergus Mayhem's "Take Control", and moving onto others including "Rave heart" and "4am". Thereafter, it was into upfront all the way with "Sound without a name", "Save me" and "Cry" while storm joined in with "You'll find about".

For the closing moments of the set, it was confirmed classics, both upfront and yesteryear. The crowd rocked it down as one while Storm gave it everything, inlcuding "Get you hyper" while Sy went off at a tangent I didn't expect, dropping "Fugees or not" before moving onto more familar terratory with "Set you free" and "Pacific Sun" before ending the rave with "Angel eyes".

Things I liked:
System - I have never had any complaints about Brunel Rooms' in house system, but it weren't good enough for tonight. The main stacks dwarfed the originals and **** on me they were loud. Dare I say that there is such a thing as too loud?

Ravers - This was the best part of the night for me. The only people in the place were ravers. No trouble makers, or idiots, just ravers. All the Fringes that come out to cause bother stayed at home and the event was all the better for it. For this reason and this reason alone, I am coming back to the next one.

Venue - I've had good times at the Brunel Rooms in the past. Lots of good times. It is a bit too plush for my liking, if I'm honest with you, but the massive sound, safe security and sub one hour travelling time more than makes up for it. I was more than happy to touch down there again.

MC Robbie Dee - His micwork during altern8's set was definitely something to write home about. Innovative, entertaining and unless I'm very much mistaken, made up on the spur of the moment. Perfectly timed to the vocals of "The Bouncer" too. I tip my hat. Again!

MC Sharkey - Should be "Sharkey the stage dancer" after arriving on stage during the final set dressed in Sallie's stage costume and making ever raver in the place laugh out loud. Funniest damn thing I've ever seen.

Dressing up as a 6 foot snake - I was asked if could spare some time during the Nu Energy PA and I was more than happy to oblige. Till I found out they wanted me to dress in a 6 foot tall snake costume (with no arm holes, so if I fell over I was ****ed) and it was too late to back out then. Having said that it was fun to get up on stage and loon about during the PA, even if the thing was quilted and hotter than hell.

Things I liked less:

Second arena - Even though I liked going downstairs for the Old Skool, previous Raverbaby events have always had upfront Hardcore, but with lesser known artists at the controls. This was one aspect of the event that really set it apart from the rest and tbh, I would have preferred it to continue that way.

Tip top night out this one, with everything coming together to make it three out of three for the Raverbaby solo events. Best of all (apart from the top notch music and dressing up in various daft costumes all night), this night was the first Raverbaby where I didn't lose a stone in weight from the heat.

Okay the snake thing was on the warm side (try wrapping a duvet round yourself and going for it to 180bpm freeform) as was the boiler suit which and dust mask which is, frankly, compulsary when Altern8 are in the place, but that was my own fault. Aside from that, I was nice and chilled throughout the night, even when I had been in the thick of things and raving for hours.

I weren't sure about Raverbaby touching down in the Brunel Rooms, but I left the building at the end of the night totally knackered and with a big smile on my face. It would be tempting to label this night as "just another Hardcore Rave", but I had way too much fun to do that. More to the point, I cant wait to go back there and do it again.

astraboy.
Old 23 May 2006, 01:23 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and in brief